Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Looks a lot like the design from "The Highwayman" 1987:
Hemmings Find of the Day: the truck from TV’s “The Highwayman” | Hemmings Daily

...but it has a hidden helicopter the driver could use when he wanted to get around during loading/unloading.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...only question is, where was "Sheriff Buford T. Justice"?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
It is a serial hybrid ... hmmm. No idling required. Maybe no shifting, either; given it is driven by an electric motor.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It is interesting, their choice of power plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
It is a serial hybrid ... hmmm. No idling required. Maybe no shifting, either; given it is driven by an electric motor.
It may be their "final design" more than the first production step but the choice of a gas turbine is interesting. But, choosing a serial hybrid does allow you to be agnostic towards your choice of power plant and does allow phasing in. The fist aero-unit may have an advanced diesel as the power plant allowing immediate production. A variety of fuels also can be used such as CNG or DME. The gas turbine is becoming more fuel efficient but would need more work to be competitive with current diesel tech. However, the power to weight ratio advantage of a turbine allows you to de-rate it's performance with fuel economy and emissions in mind with the ability to boost performance when needed.

As pointed out, the aerodynamic advantage may not be as great for this design as many may think as the large vortex drag behind the cargo box is not addressed. But, it is the next logical step to dealing with market needs and government mandates.

Green Car Congress: Obama directs EPA and DOT to develop and issue next phase of fuel efficiency standards for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by March 2016
Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I read somewhere that after years of exporting jobs/work Walmart is bring some jobs back here for a change. I wonder the root cause for all of then sudden progressiveness. Did some old person step down form power in the last couple of years?
"Progressiveness"? That has nothing to do with anything. This is Walmart, I'm sure it is strictly a financial decision. Labor costs in China have been shooting up quickly, so they are probably finding that the risks are not worth the cost savings for certain products.

If you factor in "progressiveness" and the push for dramatic increases in minimum wages (Currently pushing for $15/hr in WA state) you can bet the jobs will be heading back to China and other developing countries or eliminated by automation where possible.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
"I read somewhere that after years of exporting jobs/work Walmart is bring some jobs back here for a change. I wonder the root cause for all of then sudden progressiveness. Did some old person step down form power in the last couple of years?"

A little off topic but can't let a false claim go unanswered......
1. Walmart is a retail store. Not a manufacturer.
2. all employess live within say 10 miles of where they work.....how do you 'export' a retail job???????
3. having stores overseas is not 'exporting' jobs

While I don't 'pretend' to understand engineering.....
I do understand business models very well.
I can assure you that Sam Walton dying did not change the culture of how Walmart works.
Maybe you can site some facts.....

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Uh, maybe the *original* intent was WalMart 'trucking' meets Google's 'drone' helocopter delivery methods?!?!?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Before this gets political and people that I respect highly start insulting each other, let me get a head start!

You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

You don't frighten us with your silly knees-bent running around advancing behavior!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

I thought that it was interesting that when I arrived in Germany they told us the local Walmart had gone out of business.

I do not like Walmart and I try to not shop at, but as I believe that I commented before, they are doing more to save fuel than almost anyone else, and others will follow their example.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
1. Walmart is a retail store. Not a manufacturer.
I saw a 60-minutes or equal (PBS, Dateline, 20/20) program years ago which explored how Walmart went to China decades ago and set up their supply chain.

This included establishing exclusive contracts and operating agreements in partnership to get products and goods made just for them. They financed the plants being built by guaranteeing their orders, providing substantial deposits and embedding themselves with the provincial governments which are in control of everything.

Walmart undercuts the competition by being more than just a retailer, they contract in such a way so they are also in essence a producer. Walmart rewrote the book when it comes to doing business with/in China and have reaped the rewards. As a result not only were they able to provide many goods at lower prices, but also at higher profits resulting in the loss of many American jobs.

This is where the irony of the situation with the some of the latest news reports comes full bloom.

Wal-Mart attempts 'made in America' push
Quote:
ORLANDO — Wal-Mart Stores is spearheading an effort to bring together retailers, suppliers and government officials so they can figure out how to bring more manufacturing jobs to the United States.

The world's largest retailer hosted its first two-day U.S. Manufacturing Summit in Orlando last week, hoping to capitalize on the company's recent commitment to drive more manufacturing in the U.S. The "made in the USA" campaign could boost Wal-Mart's image, which is constantly under attack by labor-backed groups who have criticized the retail behemoth as a destroyer of U.S. jobs rather than a creator.................

The summit comes seven months after the Bentonville, Ark.-based discounter pledged that it planned to buy $50 billion more U.S.-made goods over the next decade. That's the equivalent of just more than 10% of what Wal-Mart will sell at retail this year. Wal-Mart said that if other merchants do the same, it would mean an additional $500 billion in American-made goods over the next decade.
It not like suddenly Walmart cares about it's corporate image, but to me it does seem like suddenly they are actually doing something about it.

The most likely reason for the change in my mind is a change in leadership.

Sure cost in China are rising, the writing is on the wall. And sure protest groups are raising public awareness to the point it may be getting uncomfortable at times. However as in the past, Walmart is getting a jump on some future trends (like Aero-Trucks).

Quote:
"It's an economic advantage when you have the wind in your back, instead of having the wind in your face," said Hal Sirkin, a senior partner and managing director at the Boston Consulting Group and an expert on manufacturing. He is serving as a consultant to Wal-Mart. He believes that the movement could create 100,000 jobs over the next decade.
Maybe the board of directors just hired a different Public Relations firm, a different supplier and manufacturing consultant...........I'm sure Forbes, the Economist or PBS will be doing a feature story on this if they haven't already.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 02-19-2014 at 09:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post

Sure cost in China are rising, the writing is on the wall.
That's the nugget right there. Walmart is heavily invested and locked into in a country with rising costs. As this progresses, room is created for a competitor in a lower cost country. Sad, but there's always room at the bottom.

This will encourage walmart to innovate on other fronts, such as the logistics side. This advantage too can be copied, and will provide some positive spill over domestically.

Reply  Post New Thread