Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Practical Modder

Thunder - '85 Honda CRX Si
90 day: 44.84 mpg (US)

Lightning - '89 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 46.25 mpg (US)

The Darkness - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.84 mpg (US)
Victor,

I'm looking to do this mod to my '01 Insight (possibly '89 CRX too) vs. a vernier throttle. Do you have the part number or diameter specs for the bike cable? I know they come in different diameters.

Thanks,
Mak

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
I'm actually out of the country right now, but I got the whole kit at Farm and Fleet for about $15 if I remember correctly.
It's a throttle cable kit for a lawn mower. I thought I put a picture of it in that post.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
It's a throttle cable kit for a lawn mower.
How appropriate. This type of throttle is extremely unsafe and needs to release when you apply the brake or the car goes into neutral. I can see the insurance companies having a field day if you are involved in an accident with this fitted.

If you need finer control of the throttle, make a custom throttle cam that mimics the "eco" mode of the Toyota hybrids, reducing the throttle sensitivity at low openings.

Simon
Old 03-31-2017, 04:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
The Practical Modder

Thunder - '85 Honda CRX Si
90 day: 44.84 mpg (US)

Lightning - '89 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 46.25 mpg (US)

The Darkness - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.84 mpg (US)
You did include the part number, I was referring to the bontrager universal derailleur flexible cable. I ended up ordering a 1.3mm x 2000mm one, enough for two cars.

I understand the concerns for this type of mod. I'm in the camp that wants it solely for throttle lock for long distance, exclusively highway-only "dumb" cruise control. My version will incorporate worst case scenario tweaks such as a flexed open end (bent cable with no cap) that will hold tension but will unthread the drilled hole if yanked in an emergency. Also, my car is 5-speed so going into neutral cuts power and at an estimated 10-15% throttle needed for sustaining highway speeds there is little worry of hitting high RPMS. Finally, back when Toyota's infamous runaway Prius recall was taking place, a popular car magazine drove two cars to 60 mph (one an economy sedan, the other a Stage III Mustang IIRC) and simultaneously floored both the throttle and brakes. Neither car could overpower it's factory brakes and did come to a complete stop (albeit at a longer distance than normal). Point being, 100% > 15% throttle so there's little concern there. Finally, $16 mower mod vs. $3XX for aftermarket cruise control. We're a frugal group by nature. I'll report back in a few weeks once I install everything.

Mak

The Following User Says Thank You to MakitaDiesel For This Useful Post:
vrmouseyd15b (04-27-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread