Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alfie - '03 Alfa Romeo 156 Veloce
90 day: 34 mpg (US)

Smarty - '05 Smart Roadster Coupe 80
90 day: 44.05 mpg (US)

Alfena - '05 Alfa Romeo 147 JTD 8v Turismo
90 day: 40.62 mpg (US)
Andy, What about aftermarket mirrors? Auto style do mirror bases for the roadster.

http://www.euraxltd.co.uk/documents/...le_mirrors.pdf

The KT16B look v aerodynamic (DTM style), while the KT37 look nice.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Roadster - '04 Smart Roadster
Unless I'm missing something, the compatibility matrix doesn't show a Roadster. I like the F1-style ones though - tiny frontal area.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaurence View Post
Unless I'm missing something, the compatibility matrix doesn't show a Roadster. I like the F1-style ones though - tiny frontal area.
Look for MCC Roadster! KT 1100

Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

D'oh! I still plan to try internal mirrors but this could be a good fall-back option.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #35 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 38.74 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

Smart - '11 Smart Fortwo Cdi
Diesel
90 day: 59.16 mpg (US)
Just had a read through this thread! I must say Damo I'm quite jealous - a Smart Roadster and a 2.4 JTD Alfa 156? Two cars with great fuel efficiency yet loads of fun and sound great too!

I'd just like to make a few queries/comments on things that have been mentioned so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
• Disconnected the Electric power steering
Interesting. Is that all that has to be done to remove power assistance from the Roadie? I know with hydraulic power steering it's a big faff involving removing the unit, changing belts and so on if you don't want to push the power steering motor around every time you steer. With an electrical system is it as simple as removing a fuse or something?

Quote:
• Headlight covers from Big performance
Do you have an image of what these look like? I've always assumed the recessed lights wouldn't be too hot aerodynamically (though they're something I'd personally be prepared to put up with as the Roadie is fairly economical anyway)

Quote:
Can't do (not worth it ££)
• Steel roadster 15 inch wheels with 175/185 section eco tyres. Also try to fit aerodynamic hub caps.
Does it cost that much for some original Smart steel wheels? Surely many owners are getting rid of these and replacing them with alloys. I actually really like the look of the steel wheels - they suit the car more than any of the alloys - though you do have the Coupe version and I think the steel wheels may look a little small for the car - they suit the non-Coupe Roadster very well though. They were standard equipment on the Roadster Light, which if I were ever to get a Roadie would be the model I'd want:

Quote:
• Lightweight seats. Standard seats are 20kg each. x 2 is 40kg.
Best I've seen was on one of the Smart forums a while ago - an owner had fitted some of those sculpted carbon-fibre seats in, which weighed something ridiculous like 5kg each (or less)! Probably a bit pricey though...

Quote:
My car, with the 205 section tyres, probably affects the fuel economy as much as the aero deficiencies put together. But financially (and aesthetically) it doesn’t make enough sense to change them for Roadster steel wheels.
Wow, 205 section tyres? Can't even imagine how much grip that thing has, it must weigh a hundred kilos less than my mk1 MX-5 on 195 section tyres and the Mazda has ridiculous levels of grip. I'd certainly be looking for some of the 15" wheels on narrower tyres - it'll improve your non-assisted steering, give you lower rolling resistance and you'll still have an abundance of grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaurence View Post
Are they that bad? They could easily be covered with some vacuum-formed plastic as they're nearly all decorative.
Just a thought, but would it really be wise blocking up the air vents on a mid-engined car? The engine on the Roadster looks pretty tightly packed-in so it might benefit from getting better airflow.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJI View Post
Just a thought, but would it really be wise blocking up the air vents on a mid-engined car? The engine on the Roadster looks pretty tightly packed-in so it might benefit from getting better airflow.
As I said, they're decorative. They are not actually vents, so blocking them causes no issues. There's one section of one of the vents that is used, which would have to be left open.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Just had a read through this thread! I must say Damo I'm quite jealous - a Smart Roadster and a 2.4 JTD Alfa 156? Two cars with great fuel efficiency yet loads of fun and sound great too!
Yes I think i've chosen well. They were both fairly cheap to buy, since everyone's afraid of them! I haven't had any real problems yet, luckily.

Quote:
Interesting. Is that all that has to be done to remove power assistance from the Roadie? With an electrical system is it as simple as removing a fuse or something?
Simply disconnect the torque sensor from the steering rack. It doesn't save as much energy as a hydraulic system, since it only gives full assistance at low speeds.

Quote:
Do you have an image of what these look like? I've always assumed the recessed lights wouldn't be too hot aerodynamically (though they're something I'd personally be prepared to put up with as the Roadie is fairly economical anyway)

Quote:
Does it cost that much for some original Smart steel wheels? Surely many owners are getting rid of these and replacing them with alloys. I actually really like the look of the steel wheels - they suit the car more than any of the alloys - though you do have the Coupe version and I think the steel wheels may look a little small for the car - they suit the non-Coupe Roadster very well though. They were standard equipment on the Roadster Light, which if I were ever to get a Roadie would be the model I'd want:

Think the steel rims are £120 + vat. I've seen some come up on e-bay, but it's quite expensive to get them over to N.Ireland from england!

Quote:
Wow, 205 section tyres? Can't even imagine how much grip that thing has, it must weigh a hundred kilos less than my mk1 MX-5 on 195 section tyres and the Mazda has ridiculous levels of grip. I'd certainly be looking for some of the 15" wheels on narrower tyres - it'll improve your non-assisted steering, give you lower rolling resistance and you'll still have an abundance of grip.
Yes, front end grip is unreal. Also since there's no engine in the front, the direction change is very quick!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I unplugged the fuse to my electric power steering and all i got was a pulled muscle in my shoulder! No mpg gains at all.

ollie
Old 10-30-2009, 05:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I bought a suction-mount mirror from the local motor factors and stuck it to the inside of the passenger window. My blind spot is now completely eliminated. When I turn my head to look at the mirror (which is in the same place as before), I can either see a car in the next lane over through the window (peripheral vision) or using the mirror. However, my fuel economy has not improved with the mirror delete. I put that down to driving faster at the moment than I normally would.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #40 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 38.74 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

Smart - '11 Smart Fortwo Cdi
Diesel
90 day: 59.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Simply disconnect the torque sensor from the steering rack. It doesn't save as much energy as a hydraulic system, since it only gives full assistance at low speeds.
That's interesting, thanks. I can't believe it needs much assistance at low speeds anyway with that little weight over the front. If a manual rack is good enough for an Elise, it's good enough for a Roadie!

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. It's funny actually, even before I saw the Merc badge in that shot I thought "hmm, looks a lot more Mercedes-like"... I think I still prefer the styling as it is, but I can certainly see how light covers would offer aerodynamic benefits.

Quote:
Think the steel rims are £120 + vat. I've seen some come up on e-bay, but it's quite expensive to get them over to N.Ireland from england!
Yeah, that's not a bad price but I can imagine it going up a bit to ship them.

Quote:
Yes, front end grip is unreal. Also since there's no engine in the front, the direction change is very quick!
It seems then that you wouldn't lose too much by going to thinner tyres. It'd probably make the steering even sweeter.