Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the go-cart idea. Funny because I have been looking at golf carts too. I know you can make them street legal without "too" much work. I looked at your link and finally saw where it says that you need to buy your engine and clutch. Looks very difficult to try an electric version as there's no room for batteries.

However, still sounds like a fun thing to do. Would like to increase the distance and if it's a normal engine, I guess I could have a bigger gas tank?

I also read that on golf carts you can increase your speed just by getting larger tires. A 12 inch tire makes a world of difference (can't remember how much at the moment)

what do you think? Which one would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
What if you made a fun time EV? Like a go kart? That had everything needed to drive legally on the road...hmm...

Go Kart Kits :: Cart Carts Karts Gocart Gokart Gokarts Gocarts Azusa Vintage

Or craigslist. But you can get crafty and make something fun that works as a project, learn and build, and then slowly maybe it grows or turns into something else.

When negotiating, "No" often means "I don't understand." I find, in my experience, slowly informing someone in a welcoming way helps them become comfortable [with new ideas or concepts]- some amazing things can happen that way.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm really giving the golf cart thing a lot of thought. That's got to be the easiest way for me to get into this without taking the grocery money, lol. I'm seen some on Craigslist for pretty cheap... others are pretty expensive. The cheaper one's would turn into a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joggernot View Post
Better yet, I bought it used with new batteries and all the street mods needed for $2,400. Cheapest transportation I've found, and definitely a good investment because all our shopping and fast food places are within it's range, even the bait and tackle shop is within range!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I'd have to look into those e bikes first, those [go kart] kits are expensive. I'd probably first go used, but I'd research the new kits and learn what should be there. And you could make room in those.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=jumper;423080]I also read that on golf carts you can increase your speed just by getting larger tires. A 12 inch tire makes a world of difference (can't remember how much at the moment)QUOTE]

Yep, makes a big difference. I couldn't stand the 15 mph that is standard, so I talked to the mechanic who does repairs, etc. at the shop. Got the "module" reset to the higher speed (17 mph and free) and splurged for the 10 inch wheels with road tires ($1,000 total). Speed is now 20-22 mph and we sit about 4 inches higher so cars can easily see us. Legal speed limit for golf carts here on the road is 20 mph, so more might get you a ticket, and we have some officers who hate golf carts.

Remember that the air conditioning consists of folding the windshield down; heater is putting the windshield up. Range is much better in summer than in winter, but here I'm talking 90°F vs. 40°F. Maybe tomorrow I can post a photo of what I have for info.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here are some photos of the golf cart. Required are 1) headlights, 2) tail lights, 3) orange flag, 4) reflective triangle indicating slow moving vehicle, 5) seat belts, and 6) rear view mirror (I went with three because after using the left site required mirror I realized I couldn't see traffic beside me). Options are the 1) special horn , 2) flames , 3) bigger mirrors, 4) larger wheels/tires, and 5) battery meter on the dash. The fold down back seat allows the wife to carry several hundred pounds of fertilizer along with groceries, while the "trunk" carries normal small trip items (bait, tackle). All photos show the air conditioning (front windshield folded down).

We have learned that it will tip over if taking the corners too fast. No, haven't gone over, but went on two wheels around one and that was enough. There is no protection built in....

Total cost as you see it is about $3,500 with the bigger wheels/tires and mirrors.

No, I can't seem to rotate the photos so they stay rotated when uploaded.

Last edited by Joggernot; 01-06-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread