Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #51 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taredog View Post
Most of us have single piston calipers. It is very important that the caliper can move on it's mounting bolts. What did the inside pad and the other side of the caliper look like? May have been rust plus a frozen caliper problem.
I didn't specifically check the slider pins / calipers, but I don't believe it's the problem. (Based on pedal feel & stopping ability seeming normal).

When I get back on land next month, I'll sort out the brakes and all questions will be answered.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #52 (permalink)
Trucking-Modder

Big Truck - '08 International Prostar
What is the comparison of costs of replacing the brakes vs. mpg/money saved? Allegedly, I try that in my big truck when I'm empty or light and not in heavy traffic. GA overdrive @ 600 rpm is better than 0 trottle at 15-1600 rpm, right? And another thing I've thought about is that it's cheaper to replace the brakes earlier than expected because the fuel savings far outweighs the brake loss.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslug View Post
WD-40 is not a very good lubricant. It's a strong degreaser and water-displacer.
I was going to go there, you beat me to it. WD-40 does a decent job as a penetrant, and is okay - not great - as a water displacer. It's my first choice for shooting into cracks and stuff, but that's only until I can get parts loose. Then I reach for grease or something else that'll actually stay around for a while.

As to shooting it onto brake discs, I wouldn't be too concerned if it was done, but I'm not about to go doing it on purpose, either.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Not to place more fuel on the fire, however, I remember reading somewhere that the brake pads themselves contain a certain amount of solvents and volatile chemicals that dissipate during the first 500 or so miles of use. Therefore, shouldn't the small amount of WD-40 being applied to the ROTORS (not applied directly to the pads) burn off with very little effort, possible not contaminating the pads? Never had a problem with rusty rotors on my daily driver, nor have I driven a car that had a freshly applied coating of WD-40 on the rotors, so I can't speak for that experience. However, I did use WD-40 on my Rx-7 rotors when I stored it over two winters up here in MA for six months at a time, and when I took the cover off in spring, whaddayaknow? No rust both times, maybe the WD-40 needs adequate time to age.. I also never clean off the anti-corrosion coating when I change the rotors.

Last edited by Funny; 07-16-2009 at 01:28 PM..
Old 07-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #55 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I think the "adverse effects" of having something like WD40 on the brakes are being blown out of proportion.

Right now I have bad axle seals on my F150 and the shoes are oil soaked (for some reason I am resisting tearing into that project). Yes I can tell the difference between oil-soaked and dry when I'm driving it but really the difference is quite small. It stops just fine, and I suspect if I had to stop hard it would do that just fine as well. If someone else drove that truck and they didn't know about the oil I bet they wouldn't even suspect a problem.

I think a big factor is loading. We typically are very lightly loaded when going about the daily grind and the brake system isn't being taxed much. Load heavily and it becomes more of a factor.

Bottom line is IMHO no harm can come from some WD40 or some such on the rotors; it probably burns off pretty quick.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #56 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Picked up my new pads & rotors today. $100

Chose premium pads only because several people told me they had bad experiences with economy pads (wearing early, noise, brake dust). The parts counter guy wasn't helpful in determining the difference between the premium, mid-grade & economy choices. "Might even be the same ones in different boxes." Made in Italy.

Oh well. Somewhere a marketing hack is smiling.

Chose the economy rotors. $2 more than machining the factory discs (which I'll keep and have machined if these new ones turn out to be worse in any way). Made in China.

Should have a chance to install everything, grease the caliper sliders, and bleed/replace the old brake fluid on Sunday.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #57 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Picked up my new pads & rotors today. $100

Chose premium pads only because several people told me they had bad experiences with economy pads (wearing early, noise, brake dust). The parts counter guy wasn't helpful in determining the difference between the premium, mid-grade & economy choices. "Might even be the same ones in different boxes." Made in Italy.

Oh well. Somewhere a marketing hack is smiling.

Chose the economy rotors. $2 more than machining the factory discs (which I'll keep and have machined if these new ones turn out to be worse in any way). Made in China.

Should have a chance to install everything, grease the caliper sliders, and bleed/replace the old brake fluid on Sunday.
I always get stuff with lifetime warranties, regardless of supposed quality issues.

I've been warned against it how ever many times, but I've never had a problem with any of it, and even if I did have a problem, I'd just take it back for the warranty. LOL.

I even get lifetime warranties on my brakes and related parts. I've not had to pay for more than one set of brakes on any car that I've owned/worked on.

One of those ways that I make an extra buck on return work - get the lifetime warranty the first time, then when they come back, it's the same price for them, but I get the parts free.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #58 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Svieta spends most of her time standing outdoors, gets driven about once a week, and even then doesn't get much brake usage (my rear pads were replaced 4 years ago and are barely used). This was bound to happen sooner than later, so each time I used the car I would use the brakes much more often than necessary, but even that didn't help much.
Last November inspection saw the rust on the brake rotors and the only reason I passed is because my mechanic was there and promised to replace them. I waited until after winter to do it.
It turned out that they looked OK from the outside, but the inside was a tragedy: the mechanic said it looked like someone had poured acid on them:

We are still wondering what to do with the rear rotors, since they are integrated with the wheel bearing, which triples the price

Hopefully everything will be done by the end of the week and I'll if there is a difference in coasting.

Also, I wonder if covering the wheels while parked would have a measurable effect? The way the car is parked one side gets lots of sun, the other gets none, both get regularly peed on by our dog and the neighbor's cats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake_rotor.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	12960  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Spitfire - '68 Triumph Spitfire Mk II
90 day: 26.18 mpg (US)

CivicHybrid - '04 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 37.1 mpg (US)
There's an anti-cat spray you could use on your wheels. It worked for me to keep them out of my convertible when I had to park on the street.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

yeah that has nothing to do with hypermiling but I do give help I spray storage vehicle rotors with water displacing silicon spray and never had any issue stopping when taking it back into service. Now I dont know what pads you were running yet but dog pee or rain, and full mettalic pads spells rusted
rotors/drums.
silicon spray is good answer here but better is to get a car cover if its sitting long term. My probblem with most car covers is they lock humidity under them and cause everything to rust. apply this info when purchasing a cover.

I brought a 72 granprix sjx back to life over 3 year period and learned these simple lessons.
good luck!

Reply  Post New Thread