Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Seems like a lot of people jumped right to judgment...

Cool story! I like reading stuff like this. I also enjoy hearing taking non eco cars and doing something like this with it. Also, screw HP, torque is where it's at. My favorite is the Audi Q7 something. I like the X5M better in every way BUT that diesel v10 making 700+ torques.
I agree... A lot of hostility around here lately. Don't really understand why. I do understand people like to express their own opinions, but it's how it's said, not what is said.

Anyway, I am pleased to see this as well. It shows that even while having fun, you can still get good FE if you keep a economical mind while just driving in a straight line. My dad horrible fails to do this and only gets 32mpg in his Corolla, and he drives 95% freeway and 5% city!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
Why would a sensible person want a car that can hold 5 people when 90 percent of the time it's only carrying 1?
Another good point :-)
Old 09-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I don't know why I bought an Insight, when 97% of the time I am alone in it...

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Seems like a lot of people jumped right to judgment...
It's not judgement, just statement of fact.

US EPA estimates 15,000 people a year die due to diesel exhaust every year in the US, 11,000 in the UK and it causes 6% of lung cancer deaths.

Someone being judgmental would work out how many miles/years a diesel owner needs to drive to kill one person.

In the city people 'have to' drive windows up, recycle on (given the black diesel smoke). Even on a cool day a car soon gets hot and the a/c goes on. I hardly ever see a car windows down anymore. That's a lot of fuel being wasted across the fleet, caused by a few people 'saving fuel' in their diesels (the trades vehicles annoy me, but the $200k+ diesels just say "I'd rather kill you than spend a few extra dollars I can easily afford on petrol").

It gets worse as because of diesel popularity, it's now impossible to buy certain types of vehicles in petrol.

As of the 'turbo diesel shove' it's actually the turbo part that's responsible for that. A petrol turbo will push you back in your seat just as well, except unlike a TD a petrol turbo won't run out of shove at 4K rpm.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Nothing annoys me more than a Range Rover. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
So why would a sensible person want 555 hp in a SUV, anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
Why would a sensible person want a car that can hold 5 people when 90 percent of the time it's only carrying 1?

I like the ride and love that someone new is trying out our hobby in a non-typical vehicle and getting real world results with it. Nothing can beat that.
I missed the last half of Bruceys post, but the overwhelming response to this individuals post was not probing results, chatting, investigating, or anything friendly.

It seems to me you have less of an issue with a Range Rover than you have with diesel, and the world wide concern of diesel pollution into the air- it just seems that as a group (wasn't intending any one member with my post), we didn't welcome the OP in anyway. Ecomodder.com should be a gateway drug to improved driving, modifications, and encouraging a passion for general efficiency- not a one of us or be banished group of crusaders.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MetroScoopy - '09 CHF50 Honda Metropolitan 50cc
90 day: 97.98 mpg (US)

Training Shoe - '99 Hyundai Hyundai Atoz Prime 797cc
90 day: 31.28 mpg (US)
Mate, there's a world outside Oz you know.

Quote:
US EPA estimates 15,000 people a year die due to diesel exhaust every year in the US...
The U.S. has extremely strict emissions regulations on diesel vehicles for consumers to the point where it's ridiculously complicated to have a diesel as an American consumer. The relatively unregulated diesels are the semi trucks, locomotives, and farm vehicles, not us SUV owners.

Quote:
In the city people 'have to' drive windows up, recycle on (given the black diesel smoke). Even on a cool day a car soon gets hot and the a/c goes on.

I hardly ever see a car windows down anymore. That's a lot of fuel being wasted across the fleet, caused by a few people 'saving fuel' in their diesels..
Again, there's a world outside Australia. Go to any big U.S. city and your windows are up anyway, even without a single diesel on the road. Leave your window down in downtown L.A. and try to tell me with a straight face that petrol cars are the saintly economical saviors of diesel emissions. Also to add, I get 21 mpg in my petrol Civic and 40 mpg in my TDI Jetta (which is U.S. emission compliant and makes ZERO black smoke).

Quote:
(the trades vehicles annoy me, but the $200k+ diesels just say "I'd rather kill you than spend a few extra dollars I can easily afford on petrol").
So, it's okay then for poor diesel owners who can't afford petrol to kill others too? What about used cars or muscle cars like those old Holden and Ford enthusiasts with no emission controls on their cars? And then it's somehow justified then that "we rich people" need to spend money on something just because we have it?

Btw, my Range Rover was 28,000 euro and I'm not rich and the petrol version was 90,000 euro equivalent. Import tax on a 5.0 liter is extremely high vs. a 3.0 liter.

Quote:
It gets worse as because of diesel popularity, it's now impossible to buy certain types of vehicles in petrol.
Australia maybe, but in the U.S. it's the opposite case. It's almost impossible to get most vehicles in diesel form (RRs included) and hence, we're extremely oil hungry and massive consumers of petrol. Even simple things like my Tacoma get 13 mpg in heavy New York traffic (windows up by the way because petrol exhaust is damn toxic too).

Quote:
As of the 'turbo diesel shove' it's actually the turbo part that's responsible for that. A petrol turbo will push you back in your seat just as well, except unlike a TD a petrol turbo won't run out of shove at 4K rpm.
Simple gearing, it doesn't matter when the vehicle redlines. I've seen Duramax Chevy's pull 12 second 1/4 miles with simple mods and they redline at 3k.

And by the way, it's judgmental to hold someone from another country to an irrelevant standard based on your own experience alone.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
It's not judgement, just statement of fact.

US EPA estimates 15,000 people a year die due to diesel exhaust every year in the US, 11,000 in the UK and it causes 6% of lung cancer deaths.

Someone being judgmental would work out how many miles/years a diesel owner needs to drive to kill one person.

In the city people 'have to' drive windows up, recycle on (given the black diesel smoke). Even on a cool day a car soon gets hot and the a/c goes on. I hardly ever see a car windows down anymore. That's a lot of fuel being wasted across the fleet, caused by a few people 'saving fuel' in their diesels (the trades vehicles annoy me, but the $200k+ diesels just say "I'd rather kill you than spend a few extra dollars I can easily afford on petrol").

How many people die due to obesity, drunk driving, lung cancer from smoking, 'mysterious' deaths after getting vaccinated, the list goes on and on yet, the government allows it to continue. I honestly think the mere 15k year is nothing compared to the aforementioned problems. It's all about moneyyyyy and always will be.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Turbocharged!

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota

Pickups
Mitsubishi

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4

Just to clarify, I don't see any difference in US and EU regulations relating to diesels. AU's diesel regs are way behind but all vehicles coming out of the EU will meet EU regs, it's only those coming from Japan or the third world that don't.

Your TDI Jetta does put out black smoke. I don't know what year it is, but even a 2014 TDI still smokes a tiny bit if you boot it, it's fuel enrichment and all TD's do it (not all petrols do by comparison). DPF's don't actually help, they really only make matters worse. For one the toxins are now invisible, for two they're now filtered down to a nano-scale ready to go straight into your blood stream.

I'm not saying you're 'rich', but the local price of a basic diesel RR is around US$160,000 - a house costs about double that for referance. You seem to live/ have cars on both sides of the Atlantic though so you're not 'poor'.

Quote:
And then it's somehow justified then that "we rich people" need to spend money on something just because we have it?
Kind of sums up what's wrong with the world, doesn't it? It's not my problem it's not my responsibility, why should I care?

Quote:
Australia maybe, but in the U.S. it's the opposite case. It's almost impossible to get most vehicles in diesel form (RRs included) and hence, we're extremely oil hungry and massive consumers of petrol. Even simple things like my Tacoma get 13 mpg in heavy New York traffic (windows up by the way because petrol exhaust is damn toxic too).
Wrong. The US uses so much oil in it's car fleet because I'd guess 50% of the fleet are 3+ ton pick up/ SUV. You can't smell a healthy petrol car idling a few feet away, you can always smell a diesel. It's no where near as toxic and in fact the air coming out of a petrol is claimed by many manufactures now than the air going in. Petrol cars are just big air filters. Don't plant a tree, let you car idle

As for the odd rod/ muscle car/ old Porsche etc, at least they're an enthusiast who might have spent many years lovingly restoring/building it. I don't begrudge them their enjoyment and there aren't thousands of them about every day. In all honesty, I still prefer a diesel to a petrol car that's been illegally de-CAT'd. My Skyline isn't exactly clean, but it's only driven to the track a few times a year, and I actually feel bad for the people behind me, and I actually want to clean it up a bit.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Turbocharged!

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota

Pickups
Mitsubishi

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
How many people die due to obesity, drunk driving, lung cancer from smoking, 'mysterious' deaths after getting vaccinated, the list goes on and on yet, the government allows it to continue. I honestly think the mere 15k year is nothing compared to the aforementioned problems. It's all about moneyyyyy and always will be.
I can choose not the be fat, I can choose not to drink drive (I can also choose not to drive when drunks are likely coming home), I can choose not to smoke, and I can choose not to get vaccinated.

I can't choose not to breath. I can choose not to drive in peak hour, and do so.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I don't know why I bought an Insight, when 97% of the time I am alone in it...
Because it gets better mpg than most, if not all, motorcycles? Which AFAIK are really the only single-person vehicles around. And FWIW, I did ride motorcycles for many years, until I got the Insight, and seldom if ever got over 50 mpg, compared to the 70+ mpg I get from the Insight.

Of course in my case, about 70% of the time (at a rough guess) I'm not alone in it, as I have two dogs with me. Otherwise I would certainly consider a one-person vehicle as an option, if I could find one that's significantly better than the Insight, and reasonably cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile
I can choose not the be fat...
Which is really the point some of us have been trying to make, isn't it? It's the utter cluelessness of choosing to buy an overpriced (MSRP in the $100K range), inherently inefficient vehicle, and then trying to get good mpg from it. FAR better to buy something else that will do the same set of tasks, better, cheaper, and more reliably.

As with Rolex watches, gold cell phones, and much else, the only reason to buy a Range Rover is to advertise to the world that you are a certain sort of person. I choose not to be that sort - or at least, not to let the world know about it :-)

Last edited by jamesqf; 09-28-2014 at 02:16 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread