Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #31 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Unicorn - '12 Nissan Versa 1.8S hatch
90 day: 31.9 mpg (US)
Sean, the ECU will come out of the dash and twist your nuts into oblivion if you try to drive at those RPMs. You would have to be going at least 70 to even get into that range, and nearly 90 mph at 3k in 4th gear. So, unless you are locked in third gear (hence the ECU butt-kicking), I doubt you'd see those revs.
You're right to keep the engine around 2k. The little fart of power at 2500 rpm before a shift is useless and puts more wear on our lemur-designed transaxles.
Do you drive in town a lot? I drive 80% country highway and get decent MPG figures from it (when the dang car works right... merf). The Taurus, with its .30 Cd, was built for the highway and can return 30 MPG. However, I've seen lawnmowers get better city mileage...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
I do drive a lot in city, kindof... it's not traffic driving. Most roads I take are 55mph with streetlights, but I've done a pure highway tank and came up under 30mpg.

But I mean should I be accelerating with the RPMs at those numbers and then when I hit 45 my car always shifts down to about 1500. after that of course I would stay low RPMs.

I'm just not sure what's the best method of getting to that one major gearshift (I think it's going into 4th).
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA32R View Post
This is a very difficult problem....
I agree with your sentiment, PA32R.

The answer to the question is a massive "IT DEPENDS" (TM). And it's why there's no tip for acceleration in the 100+ ecodriving tips list. There is no one size fits all answer.

Also, people tend to fixate on this question, when it could be demonstrated that the way you decelerate has a much larger impact on fuel economy.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Well, after a tank (+partial refill) of accelerating at 2300-2900 RPMs, I've come up with a tank MPG of 22.56, which is better than my average, but not by much.

Must... install... MPGuino... soon...
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Pickup Fuel Meiser

Blackline - '09 Nissan Frontier King Cab SE V6

Jetta - '11 Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI
I'm really gland I found this thread.

I only recently joined Ecomodders after purchasing a gas guzzling small truck for my small business. I bought a ScanGauge and installed it this past Monday. I was surprised to see that my MPG is so low for so long when I accelerate very slowly, and when I accellerate at a more moderate pace my MPG increase much faster.

I am attributing this to the very low gearing a truck has in 1st and 2nd gear which gives you lots of power but not much efficiency. AFAICT from ~100 miles of driving, I seem to get 1-3mpg in 1st and then when it gets into second I get 6-8 mpg. Third gear brings the MPGs into the double digest. The increase in speed probably has something to do with this as well since it increase the miles in "miles per gallon".

I'm glad to see others are having similar results and that I am not crazy. My new strategy will be to accelerate more briskly to get out of 1st and 2nd quickly up to more efficient gears.
RIDE A BIKE!: "If by tomorrow, every gas guzzler on the road were replaced by Priuses, we would still have the same gridlock, accidents, deaths, injuries and the same pressures to put more asphalt, strip malls and subdivisions." --Thomas Smart: SuperCommuter

Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
LurkoModding Ecker

new beetle - '98 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEngVT View Post
I have read that BMW instructs drivers to accelerate at 75% engine load and shift when the engine's mean piston speed reaches 1200-1500 feet per minute. Mean piston speed is a function of engine stroke and RPM.

Vp=RPM*S/6

Vp= mean piston speed
RPM= engine speed
S= engine stroke length, inches
I find this very interesting. I have heard that you engine is at its most efficient when it is producing the most torque. The 2.0L New Beetle's peak torque is at 2600 rpm. Using the above equation 1200-1500fpm is roughly at 2000-2600rpm. The actual numbers are 1216, and 1581fps for 2000 and 2600rpm respectively.

Quote:
When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -Buckminster Fuller
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
i have been watching the Scangauge mpg and gph while accelerating. My theory is, at a steady gph acceleration rate, I let the rpm's increase as long as the mpg keeps increasing every second or so as the Scangauge updates. When the mpg flattens out and no longer increases, I shift to the higher gear.

On a flat road, I accelerate at about 1.5 to 1.8 gph, preferably holding at 1.5 gph if I can. The rpm range of acceleration seems to work best from about 2300 to 2900 with my 1.6l Nissan Versa.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
Wok Master

Die Grau Geist - '95 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 17.74 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Scheißeglück
Thumbs up some links for product that may help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOak View Post
I'm really gland I found this thread.

I only recently joined Ecomodders after purchasing a gas guzzling small truck for my small business. I bought a ScanGauge and installed it this past Monday. I was surprised to see that my MPG is so low for so long when I accelerate very slowly, and when I accellerate at a more moderate pace my MPG increase much faster.

I am attributing this to the very low gearing a truck has in 1st and 2nd gear which gives you lots of power but not much efficiency. AFAICT from ~100 miles of driving, I seem to get 1-3mpg in 1st and then when it gets into second I get 6-8 mpg. Third gear brings the MPGs into the double digest. The increase in speed probably has something to do with this as well since it increase the miles in "miles per gallon".

I'm glad to see others are having similar results and that I am not crazy. My new strategy will be to accelerate more briskly to get out of 1st and 2nd quickly up to more efficient gears.
I have noticed this as well with my jeep. Even though it is an automatic, how far I push the accelerator can vary the RPM's before it shifts. When I accelerate slowly, it will shift anywhere between 2000-2250 RPM. I find that this usually gives me a worse MPG in the long run because the longer the time it takes for the transmission to build up the RPMs, resulting in a long and drawn out rate of consumption of fuel. If I accelerate at a brisk pace, the RPM's will hit between 2500-3000 RPM, which gets me a better MPG in the long term because the time it takes to get up to those speeds is shorter, thus reducing the rate of consumption of fuel.

And that's always the thing about big trucks and SUV's, having terrible consumption in low gear. By having the smaller/shorter gearing, the torque is amazing, but it takes so much energy to get it up to speed. Something that helps though in those low gears is having a 4 WD truck with a limited slip or some type of actuating locker. By having power go to all 4 wheels when accelerating, the energy needed to get the transmission going in low gears is reduced, making accelerations quicker, much cleaner, and helps reduce the fuel consumption from a dead-stop acceleration.

Since I need to replace the front differential on my jeep (thank you lil' sis for engaging the true-locker and taking a turn and blowing the whole thing out), I have been researching a couple replacement options. The two I find best for on-road, and off road if that's your forte, are Auburn Gear brand lockers and Powertrax "no-slip traction system." What's nice about the Auburn Gear ones are they are electronically acuated. When in an off position, the locker acts like a limited slip, but when on acts as a full locker turning both wheels on your axle at the same rate. The Powertrax one is a cheaper alternative that I personally think is brilliant. Inspead of acting like a limited slip, whihc cuts power to the wheel that has grip to the one that has least amount of traction, it will cut power to the wheel with less traction and give it to the wheel that has more traction, thus keeping you moving forward. Rear differentials will end up giving your axle the feel and control like a posi-traction rear end, and the front end diffs will have the same effect.

Links if anybody wants to check these out are:
StylinTrucks.com
Lockers and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

The Powertrax locker is made by Richmond Gear. What's cool about this one is they manufacture them for any type of accepting axle for cars, trucks, tractors, and UTV's.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
my Dodge crew cab is abysmal but generally I need to get out of 1st asap
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOak View Post
I am attributing this to the very low gearing a truck has in 1st and 2nd gear which gives you lots of power but not much efficiency.
Some trucks (mine for example) are meant to be started in 2nd, except when going up very steep hills or towing/hauling very heavy loads. 1st is really more like "extra low", and 2nd is really 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
I'm going to start shifting at 2100rpm now. Their range gave me 2100-2600 (previously shifted normally at 2400-2900).

PS - Sean, I assume you got 2300rpm for 1200fpm and 2900rpm for 1500fpm? The BWM recommendation is to upshift when you reach 1200-1500rpm, and we'd probably work on the low side, so you would probably upshift at 2300rpm.

Another factor is how far apart your gears are. BWM likely has internal consistency, but other makes are probably quite different; this would cause a different upshift recommendation (what, exactly, I don't know).

Edit: To me it felt like I was lugging the engine excessively shifting at 2100rpm keeping LOD at 75-ish. I'm going to try to keep it lower than I have before though, perhaps 2400rpm.

Last edited by KJSatz; 05-17-2009 at 01:40 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread