Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post

Spreader for the spring-loaded ring clip that held the rubber gasket to the door assembly of my washing machine. Getting that thing off was not too bad, getting it back on needed... this thing. Janky as heck and slow to use (alternately backing one nut off a half turn, then the other one), but saved me from having to order and wait for the special tool from LG.
Looks dental!

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I made another janky tool and posted it, then remembered this thread. Here it is:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post627786
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
janky flashlight / headlight

The 6-volt generator in my '64 VW threw its windings near Palmdale, California, on the way to Edward's Air Force Base on an early Monday, after departing the San Fernando Valley.
If I didn't make work on time I'd be technically AWOL.
I duct-taped my flashlight to the driver's side front fender, made it through Lancaster to Rosamond, past the remains of the Happy Bottom Riding Club, and the 18-miles out to the base.
If the California Highway Patrol was aware of my plight, they kept their distance. I'm eternally grateful.
Oddly enough, the flashlight put out as many lumens that pitiful 6-V system.
Xist (05-26-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
As my cars oil filler cap is below an X-shaped chassis reinforcement, I made myself a funnel + hose combination that fits just right.
It's hard to fill in oil even with a normal funnel in these cars, without one it's impossible without spilling a lot.

Also cut off a cheap toilet brush and stuck it into my cordless drill to clean carpets in my car.
It's quite effective at getting out sand or other simmilar particles.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The 6-volt generator in my '64 VW threw its windings near Palmdale, California, on the way to Edward's Air Force Base on an early Monday, after departing the San Fernando Valley.
If I didn't make work on time I'd be technically AWOL.
I duct-taped my flashlight to the driver's side front fender, made it through Lancaster to Rosamond, past the remains of the Happy Bottom Riding Club, and the 18-miles out to the base.
If the California Highway Patrol was aware of my plight, they kept their distance. I'm eternally grateful.
Oddly enough, the flashlight put out as many lumens that pitiful 6-V system.
Had a simmilar issue with my Simson once.
The contacts for the rear light where corroded and I didn't have a screwdriver with me.
Stuck on a bicycle rear light and rode it to the next gas station where I was able to fix it.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I made a window crank clip remover out of something I found on the ground at a junkyard. Worked so well that I still have it in my tool box!
I’ve been using this for over forty years...

Works like a charm... 😉

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-26-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloowisa View Post
Worked so well that I still have it in my tool box!
What does?
Old 09-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I blew a very small cooling hose in my Acura Integra about nine months ago. It sits right under the intake manifold and can barely be seen from the top side of the vehicle (enough to see where the coolant was coming from), but you can't get a hand on it. From under the vehicle, I needed to remove the hose clamp, but there were a few things in the way and I needed an abnormally long screwdriver. So I made one, which turned out quite nice. I'll post a pic tomorrow. I purchased a 3/8"x3ft piece of round steel rod from the local hardware store, used a scrap piece of black walnut I had lying around for the handle, ground down the tip as a flat head screwdriver, cut a square notch into the shaft just above the handle so you could put a wrench on it for extra leverage (don't remember what size wrench it takes, but I filed it to fit the right size wrench), and ended up putting a lanyard on the handle so you can't drop it, depending on what you're working on. I've done enough boat work to know that ANY time you pick up a tool, tie a line around it and tie it off to your wrist. Or that **** will end up in the bilge. My bilge is 3 feet deep in my boat, and I've lost a number of tools in there and other hard to reach places, including a perfectly good ratchet that I dropped along the turn of the hull and it stopped directly under a water tank. D'oh! Consider it gone, unless I sail into a storm and get tossed around, and it makes its way to the bilge.

Also, speaking to that homemade lathe which someone posted, which is super cool, I started building my own homemade lathe a couple years ago. It's built from vintage bronze sailboat hardware and mahogany. There is not one nut or bolt, nor any other part, that is made of steel, stainless steel, aluminum, or any other kind of metal. Unfortunately it is on my boat in Georgia and I'm currently in VA, so can not readily take pictures. I want a metal lathe that can turn engine parts, clevis pins, rigging hardware, and anything else I need, and it has to never ever ever rust, even if it get hits by a saltwater wave or left out in the rain. In theory, I could turn metal submerged in saltwater since it uses a 12v submersible trolling motor and everything is bronze. But it is only about halfway done. Needs a chuck (which has to be bronze (D'oh!), and I still need to build the compound and tailstock. It's knarly looking. Like it should be in a museum. God, if I polished it, it would look like its made of GOLD! Imagine that!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttrainxl For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (09-28-2021), ME_Andy (09-27-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread