Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Oil: just Run Rotella T6, it is amazing for the money.

Brakes, I'd bet that you have a stuck brake caliper/ piston. The MKIV cars have electronic brake distribution and will stop straight even with 1 brake completely dead.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Put a vaccum gauge on the nipple that feeds the control vaccum system, super common failure is the small vaccum line system and those are super easy and cheap to fix.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I wound up going with the castrol edge 0w30 full synthetic just before you posted about the shell rotella. But I've heard good things about it all over the interwebs and will definitely give it a try on my next oil change in 10k miles.

I replaced all the vacuum lines and the fuel lines that were under the hood, also replaced my oil pan gasket (it was leaking, about 1 drop every 30 seconds with the engine off).

Next is the diff fluid and that darn leaky injector pump.

My skid plate should be here tomorrow! I'm super excited cause it is not only gonna protect my low hanging oil/trans pan and compressor but it is also the start of my belly pan. I will get some 4'x8' sheets of coroplast to finish it out on my next check.

I got the wrong headlight casings in the mail two times, first one I posted about above had fog lights and my car isn't wired for them, messed up my blinker, and the second set was just plain wrong. Gonna check local shops for a set before I go online again.

Transmission cooler looks okay, but my mind is on getting an aftermarket one since the coolant averages about 190*F and the trans is supposed to be closer to 140*F....also noticed that my coolant circuit has an oil cooler on it, nice, but I'm gonna leave it alone for now. Don't want to over cool anything.

I really want to do the timing belt myself but I'm scared of having to retime it and don't really trust anyone else enough to do it. The kit I'm looking at has new rollers, new serp belt, and new water pump as well as everything needed for the timing belt. Indicates 100k miles change intervals with their kit.

Just did the 5 brake light mod after replacing all rear light, except blinkers, with LEDs. Also strongly considering a mufflerectomy.

Last edited by CappAttack; 11-09-2016 at 06:41 PM..
Old 11-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oil

It's a long read but worth it if you want to know more about oil and viscosities.
Just google "bob is the oil guy motor oil 101"
Old 11-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
rhg
EcoModding Lurker

Capp, TDIclub forum will have every answer you need for this car short of the ecomods. Sign up and use the advance search function to find your answers. If you ask newbie questions without searching you will get flamed because literally every question has been answered. Your auto trans is a known problem for this car read up on it on the forum. Read about cleaning injectors with straight diesel purge. Timing belt change procedure is spelled out step by step. Make sure oil is made for diesel engine. My 02 Golf TDI with original(not rebuilt)engine and manual trans has 477000 miles gets 46 mpg driving slightly hard. I change the Mobil 1 5W40 turbo truck oil every 15000 miles. Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to rhg For This Useful Post:
CappAttack (11-09-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 12:27 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Thumbs up (More) practical mod suggestions

CappAttack, hope you're having fun fixing and repairing the car back up to snuff.

1) Intercooler mod - add a drain.

Some of the mention of the intercooler made me think of something I saw some time ago, that I did do to my second TDI to avoid oil buildup.

ThomasEXOVCDS Pointed this out in his wealth of VW repair videos, that just drilling a small hole into the bottom of the intercooler and using a screw to seal it.

In my case, I used one of the many many T20 exterior screws I've acquired while on runs to the wrecking yards to replace parts on my car. As in, the T20 screws that are used to hold in the inner fender liners on the car.

I can't say I've had hordes of oil drain from the intercooler in this car, I did it more for peace of mind -- something I can check and drain, when doing a major maintenance, like an oil change, tire rotation, or timing belt change.

2) Skidplate

DO-EET! I lost three (3) oilpans on my first TDI; one to a slow leak scraping, two to catasphrophic impacts. The oilpans are fragile, and since yours is a bit higher mileage, the suspension might not be at full height, which leaves your oilpan hanging lower than stock.

If you're intent on getting another 200k miles out of the car, the skidplate will cost you as much as two oilpans and oil changes, and might save you an engine.

And not a mod, but another suggestion - in addition to TDIclub, www.myturbodiesel.com is worth signing up for a forum account there, if only for their timing belt change writeup. They also have a decent buyer's guide for the A4 platform (Golf/Jetta/Beetle) that might give you more ideas for things to check for maintenance wise.

Last edited by ChrstphrR; 11-10-2016 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: automagic munging of a site name when turned into a link
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrstphrR For This Useful Post:
CappAttack (11-10-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 05:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Started a thread for my car over at TDI club, y'all can follow it of you'd like to: My mk4 Jetta tdi - TDIClub Forums

I'll be posting there from now until it comes time for modding, and I'll keep my fuel log over here.

Last edited by CappAttack; 11-12-2016 at 12:26 PM..
Old 11-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
This will be a post containing several points and answers that I have read on the first pages. This is from my experience of owning an 02 Golf manual TDI with 340K mi and still getting 50mpg.

Trans fluid that is used should be (from memory but see links below)G50 the new version is G52 do a search for using G52 in an 02J (the manual trans model).
Auto trans ATF fluid removal, drain, and replacement on VW TDI engines | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum
Manual manual transmission gear oil DIY service and fluid replacement-mk4 VW-Audi | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

Oil I only use Mobil 1 European 0w-40 the cheapest I find it is at walmart and it will have 1 qt extra so every 5th oil change the oil is free. The other oil I have used was Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 and Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. List of TDI oils Engine oil list for TDI diesel | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum
A side note I do 10-15k oil changes my last one was more like 17.5 and I was a little low on oil but I drive 85% highway.

Brakes if you are not losing fluid I would assume the master cylinder is fine. Change the rotors pads and check the lines at the calipers if they are worn replace them. Also make sure to clean up the slide pins on the caliper and grease them. Then flush the fluid with DOT4. You will also need to flush the clutch. Brake fluid and clutch bleeding and flush - mk3 and mk4 VW and Audi | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

As for the AC Check the fuses on top of the battery and see if the engine fans turn on when everything is set to high. Then check the line pressure if you have pressure even if might be the ring that engages the clutch that is out. That can be tested by jumping it at the connector under the car. That is the step I'm on with fixing mine but I needed to fix my parking brakes first so I could lift the front.

First page addressed.

Is the car an automatic or manual?

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 11-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Now for the rest of the pages and my comments.

Grill block you can easily go for a full block in cooler weather. I have my upper blocked behind the grill and the large lower blocked year round. When it is cold out I add pipe insulation into the lowest opening to completely block the grill other than the opening for the intercooler.

When you flush your coolant I would recommend changing the t-stat to a higher temp one I think 190 or 195f is the highest you can get without pressing your own. Also look into Sieara coolant it is nontoxic I have been using it for my last two timing belt changes and have had no issues. (Just read that you had it flushed already)

Intake/Intercooler you want as cool or air is you can into the engine and the engine warm for economy/power on a diesel. With that said clean the intercooler but I would not replace it unless there is an issue with it.

K&N addressed on page 3 done.

Skid plate is a great idea it has saved many people. Just for me I hit a semi tire that was blown in the middle of the road about 3 weeks ago I can see the marks on the pan and the tire busted the welds on the down pipe.
MK4 Jetta skid plate Golf New Beetle GTI R32

Transmission issues p0704 I believe that is torque converter clutch code on the auto. Starting point Picked up a 2002 Jetta GLS w/01M - rpm question - TDIClub Forums
Same for the p0740 How Serious is P0740? - TDIClub Forums

What is VAG-COM (VCDS) - Ross-Tech: VCDS
Don't want to pay for one check these two locator listings someone might be in your area.
VCDS VAG-COM Locator - TDIClub Forums
VAG-COM Diagnostic Service Locator

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:
CappAttack (11-18-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Update: I replaced the diff fluid, used Walmart brand 75-90 gear oil. No change in how it runs since the swap. Installed a diy ccv filter, made it out of an agricultural strainer and a steel will scrubbing pad to catch condensation. After about 1k miles I've gotten about 1 cup of water mixed with a bit of oil, I check it every couple of weeks and empty as needed. no change in performance or mpg noted after this was installed.

Recently I have been chasing a leak that is letting rainwater into the front passenger side footwell. Never a visible puddle, but it's enough to soak the carpet anytime we get a moderate to heavy rain storm. I have removed the glove box, and the headliner and narrowed it down to a combo of the sunroof drains and the pollen filter door. The water runs from the base of the A pillar down around the blower motor and falls to the floor just behind where the glove box normally sits (it's in the trunk right now).

Ordered a deep belt tensioner arm and pully to go with the enhanced+ timing belt kit I am getting from blauparts.

Timing belt kit: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....od=GH21120-1-C
Serp belt tensioner: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GJ12613-C

I have also ordered a filter, gasket, and fluid for the transmission. Gonna drop the pan and change fluid/filter when that gets here. I opted to go with OEM VW g52 fluid. Still scared by what I might find but I have, somehow, found confidence in changing the diff fluid and not having it explode.

Also replaced the seals on my injector pump, it doesn't leak anymore! Still have flashing glow plug light but I've read that can be caused by having led brake/tail lights, which I do have.

And finally, I ordered an OBDeleven device, base model. Its a well rated, and seemingly well received alternative to vcds(vag-com). Instead of running on a laptop it is a Bluetooth obd-II dongle that pairs with their Android app.
Android 4.1 or later, no iOS app available. OBDeleven: Audi, Volkswagen, Seat & Skoda diagnostic system

Regards,
Andrew

Reply  Post New Thread