Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Great build going on here! Man, stinks on the shoddy work from the previous owner. I'm just glad it didn't catch on fire while you were driving it.

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jelly Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 50.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Great build going on here! Man, stinks on the shoddy work from the previous owner. I'm just glad it didn't catch on fire while you were driving it.
I was so frustrated at the point when it caught fire I actually thought about letting it burn to the ground but then after snapping back to reality and realizing the car is on fire while in my garage which is attached my house, I quickly reacted.

On a brighter note, the fire allowed me to find out exactly why my break light and horn fuse kept blowing out randomly thanks to the stripped wires running through the fender and frame

Old 10-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

my newest mod, supporting the forums

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlk16188 For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-20-2014), OG VX (11-11-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Looks good.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
^^ Nice. Just now seeing your response about the fire. Wowza, I didn't know that it actually did catch on fire. I figured just sustained heat had melted the wires (only).

That's nuts.

This is why I no longer by "modified" cars. I can't trust others work. I'm not an expert at...really anything automotive-speaking. I just make sure that when I do something, I try my best to do it "right". I have come to just not trust others to do the same thing when it comes to Honda's. Too many posers out there nowadays...
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 10-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
^^ Nice. Just now seeing your response about the fire. Wowza, I didn't know that it actually did catch on fire. I figured just sustained heat had melted the wires (only).

That's nuts.

This is why I no longer by "modified" cars. I can't trust others work. I'm not an expert at...really anything automotive-speaking. I just make sure that when I do something, I try my best to do it "right". I have come to just not trust others to do the same thing when it comes to Honda's. Too many posers out there nowadays...
I normally have the same rules but I do consider myself well above average in the automotive field and took on the challenge despite my better judgement. Its all working out for the best now, just took a long time, patients and cash to solve all of the issues. Luckily I did all of the work myself except the alignments so I saved a lot of money versus paying for the work to be done. at that point if I couldnt have done the work I would have been farther a head buying a new civic or the likes.

Needless to say, this will probably be my last Honda project

Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Results from the OEM O2 sensor are looking good. The weather is changing and getting much colder now than the last few weeks but I have managed to pull 5 tanks in a row over 50 MPG average. I have never been able to achieve this before

Old 11-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Temperatures here have been dropping to below freezing in the morning and around low 50's during the day but my average MPG's have been increasing.

I have installed a DIY brick edging lip (different than the usual home depot lip) and an EOC ignition cut off switch.

My results show an improvement from 50.2 MPG average per tank up to 50.6 MPG per tank over the last 10 fill ups.

Its starting to look like this car will be parked for the winter pretty soon but I am optimistic that I will be averaging in the high 50's and low 60's by summer

As you can see from the graph I have a pretty steady MPG improvement from June of 2014 until now. mostly based on required mechanical repairs and the use of a new wideband O2 sensor, new tires and EOC

Old 11-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Have you checked compression of this engine? How is the timing?

I feel like your numbers should be higher, and I doubt it's your foot.

Not trying to be rude at all. Just think you should be around 53-55 with mods shown.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Have you checked compression of this engine? How is the timing?

I feel like your numbers should be higher, and I doubt it's your foot.
I have not checked compression but I also do NOT have a VX transmission. I have a 96 civic hatchback CX transmission which has gearing more similar to that of a DX trans.

I also live deep in the Appellation mountains. When I drove the car out west I got much high MPG's with a bad O2 sensor.

here is my daily commute one way. As you can see I have some vast elevation changes of almost 1000 feet

Reply  Post New Thread