Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fit - '15 Honda Fit EX
90 day: 35.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Wait, I see now that this wasn't your first oil change. That probably explains it...
Thanks for the comments - unfortunately I don't really know as I'm not familiar enough with Chevys or what sort of wear numbers are typical for them. All I can say is that I think my wear numbers are fairly low even if they aren't the factory full numbers - I've still got less than 10K on the clock altogether, so still technically in the break-in period.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Wow, that iron level is shockingly low. Mine was at 32 after 6500 miles (first oil change on the Cruze). Maybe that's explained by the fact that I have an iron block but yours is AL? But then I would expect to see more AL in your sample, and there isn't much more. Is this a full synthetic oil?

I'm curious. Does anybody else have other ideas? Maybe Chevys come a little tighter from the factory.

Hmmm..... I thought that even the Aluminum blocks had steel cylinder liners? I believe my 2009 Toyota 1NZ-FE engine has the "spiney" type liners which twist lock into the Aluminum block. It would be or should be the steel liner which give account for a higher iron content during break in. The other difference is that Honda and Toyota both use a private patented micro-polishing process on liners, pistons, wrist pins, and cams and crank bearings, which GM does not use. I believe they have another process altogether.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad View Post
Hmmm..... I thought that even the Aluminum blocks had steel cylinder liners? I believe my 2009 Toyota 1NZ-FE engine has the "spiney" type liners which twist lock into the Aluminum block. It would be or should be the steel liner which give account for a higher iron content during break in. The other difference is that Honda and Toyota both use a private patented micro-polishing process on liners, pistons, wrist pins, and cams and crank bearings, which GM does not use. I believe they have another process altogether.

Depends on the block, chevies are just all aluminum for the ls1, typically over 800hp they switch to an iron block

Hondas are sleeved blocks but I can't recall sleeve materials as I believe it was done primarily for cooling and not for strength so I'm guessing aluminum sleeves

0w8 would be too thin in the heat here.

My civic thread
Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fit - '15 Honda Fit EX
90 day: 35.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
Depends on the block, chevies are just all aluminum for the ls1, typically over 800hp they switch to an iron block

Hondas are sleeved blocks but I can't recall sleeve materials as I believe it was done primarily for cooling and not for strength so I'm guessing aluminum sleeves

0w8 would be too thin in the heat here.
It's already been driven in 90+ degree days often, and yet the UOA is great. Temperatures here are frequently 100+, especially in the summer, so I suppose we'll find out how it holds up. The next change will be Sustina 0W-20 though, since I have some left over. Then back to the Ultra Next.

Last edited by jetto-setto; 05-30-2015 at 01:33 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread