Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
2011 Honda Civic LX

Honda - '11 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 28.85 mpg (US)

Fit - '17 Honda Fit LX
Per your advice I started a fuel log, and it's been interesting to track my progress. My car seems to hover around 32 MPG with my usual commute cycle, although I was able to hit 36 MPG on a highway-heavy tank at one point. Right now my financial priority is to pay the car off, but once that's done I'm going to finish with the Hybrid aerodynamic upgrade by installing all the belly pan components. I had a look at a Civic Hybrid on the road yesterday - I couldn't tell for sure, but it looks like the Hybrid's grill comes from Honda largely blocked out. I'll have to see if I can find one sitting still that I can examine, but it certainly looks like another interesting part to add, assuming the R18A1 motor can get sufficient cooling with a blocked grill.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Congrats on 36mpg! Every bit counts. And you're 17 bucks richer!

Until you get a gauge, here are a couple other ideas you can do without a gauge. You could easily turn off your car and coast your manual transmission up to red lights and down hills. Engine off coasting reduces city driving losses from stop/start. And at other times you could also use the car's deceleration fuel cut off function: slowing to lights or going downhill, shift into a gear that will put RPMs up to 1700 or 2000 and the computer cuts fuel to the injectors while you decelerate. I do it all the time on my 1998 civic now. My O2 sensor readings show zero voltage within a couple seconds, meaning no fuel or almost no fuel is being burned even though the engine is still "on." Saves brakes slightly too, I guess.

Good luck!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

welcome
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Muņeca Brava - '08 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 44.16 mpg (US)
Are you using Pulse and Glide (Engine-ON coasting)? I'm also in a 8th Gen 5MT Civic and I couldn't break 36 mpg and was getting frustrated. Started using P&G every chance I get and I've gotten as High as 44 mpg!

Also California98Civic how do you restart when you engine off coast?

Last edited by gcorr002; 03-07-2012 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: thought of a question
Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcorr002 View Post
Are you using Pulse and Glide (Engine-ON coasting)? I'm also in a 8th Gen 5MT Civic and I couldn't break 36 mpg and was getting frustrated. Started using P&G every chance I get and I've gotten as High as 44 mpg!

Also California98Civic how do you restart when you engine off coast?
The technique is known as "bump starting." Here is a good discussion of "how to": http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post10951

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
gcorr002 (03-08-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread