Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx712517 View Post
Would this have a desirable impact on drag by partially blocking air entering the engine bay, or would this create more drag?
Grill blocks are generally acknowledged to help. It can reduce warm-up times and drag. Generally the more flush with the bumper, the more people think it helps aerodynamics. The reason is that the goal it to get air moving around the car as efficiently as possible. Use the forum search function for foam pipe insulation grill block. You'll find good temporary possibilities. BTW, there is no good reason to continue running the tires under-inflated. The ride is more comfortable at 40psi, but you are trading FE for it. There is no safety difference. You would benefit from going to the full sidewall pressure (at least).

Do you have an aftermarket gauge, like and UltraGauge or a ScanGauge?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
2011 Honda Civic LX

Honda - '11 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 28.85 mpg (US)

Fit - '17 Honda Fit LX
I am operating ScanGauge-free at the moment. I might have to put one on the list for tax return expenditures, if Uncle Sam is kind enough to give me some of my money back. Last tank was 30.1 MPG. It seems like the harder I try to drive efficiently and the higher I jack up my tire pressure the worse my numbers at the pump get. I'm sure a ScanGauge would help me target where I'm going wrong in my efficiency attempts.

I've got just a few more Civic Hybrid aero bits to add. Last night I mounted the rear fender liner trailing edge deflectors. It seems like they're designed to direct air from the rear wheels toward the diffuser. Should be interesting. I have a pair of leading edge deflectors to add, followed by completing the underbody paneling. I still can't decide about the Civic Hybrid trunk lid spoiler though. It's a hefty chunk of change and the best information I've received so far from my archive crawling has been that Honda put it on the Hybrid for a reason, probably an aerodynamic reason, but I'm hesitant to spend $250+ on the spoiler and drill holes in my trunk lid because the general hunch is it would have a positive impact on aerodynamics.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Alexa - '07 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.32 mpg (US)

FX - '06 Infiniti FX35
90 day: 17.98 mpg (US)

Priya - '03 Saturn Ion 3
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
about the deck lid spoiler. I got myself a replica one that was unpainted for 80$ and just put vinyl on it and used 3M double sided tape so no drilling required. cheaper than buying the OEM.

i also installed the under body panels and believe they do help. you do need to drill holes for 2 of them but i didn't and they are holding just fine

heres a link to my car and what i have done for some ideas. its not much but something

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ing-17911.html

could you post a picture of the rear fender liners?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
I still can't decide about the Civic Hybrid trunk lid spoiler though. It's a hefty chunk of change and the best information I've received so far from my archive crawling has been that Honda put it on the Hybrid for a reason, probably an aerodynamic reason, but I'm hesitant to spend $250+ on the spoiler and drill holes in my trunk lid because the general hunch is it would have a positive impact on aerodynamics.
Your hesitation is smart. Maybe it makes some difference, but it would take a very long time to recoup $250 from it. If you have good fabrication skills and you order the stock paint color, you might make a replica for less.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1994 Honda Civic LX - '94 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 37.21 mpg (US)

Taco - '11 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
90 day: 22.45 mpg (US)
Grill block alone made a 5MPG jump in my mixed MPG on my 1994 Civic LX.

I screwed thin lexi-glas panels straight into the bumper using really small screws. Since it's a brand new car, I'd go a less invasive route. Post a good pic of your front grill and I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
2011 Honda Civic LX

Fit - '17 Honda Fit LX
Photographing the fender liners is.... difficult. Search Google Images for 74551-SNA-A00 or 74591-SNA-A00 to get an idea. Installation is amazingly easy - just drill two holes in the fender area (there are dimples to show you where), insert screws, and pop in a clip. Took me five minutes in the dark holding a flashlight.

My car is black, so seeing the grill is quite difficult. I browsed for a photo of a lighter color sedan and found this.

It may be difficult to see but the honeycomb-textured plastic on either side of the main grill is solid save for maybe 1/5th closest to the center grill. In other words, no air is getting through. The upper grill (the portion with the shiny plastic and the H badge) does allow air through.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1994 Honda Civic LX - '94 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 37.21 mpg (US)

Taco - '11 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
90 day: 22.45 mpg (US)
I'd say you're still getting some wind resistance at the honeycomb. It'd be nice to have the air pass over it without entering in the first place. If it weren't so new, I'd enclose the whole lower dam and honeycomb areas completely, and get an accurate temp. gauge or ScanGauge just in case the upper alone doesn't provide enough airflow.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
2011 Honda Civic LX

Fit - '17 Honda Fit LX
Well, Uncle Sam wants more of my money this year, so ScanGauge isn't happening any time soon. Filled up today, 30.1 MPG. On the plus side of things, I installed the leading edge air deflectors for the rear wheels. The only aerodynamic pieces left to install will be the two pieces of the belly pan. After I get through paying Uncle Sam I think those'll be my next purchases - maybe a month out?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
2011 Honda Civic LX

Fit - '17 Honda Fit LX
Drove 98 miles and decided to fill up and see if my driving has improved at all. 32.2 MPG was the result. Better, but still nowhere near where I want it to be. This is proving to be slightly frustrating.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Drove 98 miles and decided to fill up and see if my driving has improved at all. 32.2 MPG was the result. Better, but still nowhere near where I want it to be. This is proving to be slightly frustrating.
Take heart, because you might have done better than your calculations show. We just can't know. Ninety-eight miles distance and about three gallons is not enough to give you a good chance at an accurate calculation with the crude equipment we have to work with. Pump variations as to when they click off can completely throw off your calculations. Easiest recommendation is that you wait until as close to empty as is safe and practical and then refill, that you refill at the slowest fill rate setting, always use the same pump, and stop fueling at the first click (don't "top-off").

You pumped up the tires? You are driving slower? Speeds like 60/65mph on the freeway? Not warming up the car before driving and other things? If so you'll see benefits as long as you are not racing around the city streets.

Good luck... getting it right takes some time... you have to enjoy the process in order to stick it out. And don't let mod-frustration cloud your enjoyment of a lovely new car. It's a privilege. So dig it.

[EDIT: START A FUEL LOG HERE AT EM! Enter gas prices as well as your other fill data and the EM fuel log will show you an estimate of savings. Psychologically, seeing the slowly mounting savings estimated will help you find the cash for that ScanGauge! Eventually!!]

Reply  Post New Thread