Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

All great advice, thanks guys!

I have contemplated getting my injectors cleaned/serviced. For now, I just bought 3 bottles of Redline SL-1 cleaner and will run a bottle back-to-back for 3 tanks in a row. I'll share if it helps at all.

Also, ordered a new ground wire kit. I noticed my current wires are frayed and rusty looking, they may be fine but it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace them.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Julie - '93 Honda Civic del Sol Si
I know we are talking about mounting a header from one engine to another but did you see a difference mileage wise after the change? And how much? Just curious.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The DX manifold fits just fine, however this car came with a DX manifold along with 2" to 2.5" piping all the way back. Going back to stock I noticed a gain in low end torque, which I feel this car needs to be drivable around town. I gained 3-4 MPG. The gains are honestly not fully realized yet because I haven't even gone through a full tank of gas. My commutes are usually 10 miles max each way between work and the places I frequently go, so it takes almost a month to deplete a tank for me.

I'm also certain too, that the oxygen sensor placement on the DX manifold as opposed to the VX would affect exhaust readings, or certainly not allow it to get as hot as it should. The VX allows the oxygen sensor to sit closer to where the manifold meets with the head.

DX:

VX:
Old 08-13-2015, 11:46 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sounds like u have a possible ignition problem somewhere. I would double check connections on all plugs.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:21 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So update on this last tank of gas. Combined average was 41.2 MPG.

As far as ignition problem, all connections are good and I have new plugs/wires. Possibly bad wires? Or are you talking about all of the electrical connectors in the engine compartment?

I am noticing, however, on slight inclines, I have almost no acceleration even with my foot to the floor. I recall another member having this same issue and a new oxygen sensor seemed to solve his problems. Does this sound right?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #46 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I like the ground wire fix plan too. I just cleaned mine and added one grounding connection and it helped a little. Important also to clean the connecting spots with a little sandpaper, exposing just a little metal for contact. And use a little grease to seal out water and prevent corrosion too. Like you said, ... can't hurt.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That's the plan, going to put those in and check the chassis itself to ensure it's bare metal and use some dielectric grease to keep it sealed.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So after some more driving, I've been noticing my battery light will randomly flicker. I know my drive belt is loose and stretched too much so I'm gonna put a new, tighter belt on and go from there. This may be related to the idle issue.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:03 AM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Installed the new ground kit today. This kit is quality. It includes replacement for negative battery terminal and ground, as well as the valve cover ground, transmission ground and an extra ground that goes from the negative battery terminal to an area of your choosing. I put the extra one at a back bracket on the transmission. I used the stock mounting points, using sandpaper to grind down to bare metal to ensure good contact. Here's some pics comparing the original stock grounds to the new ones:

And I also replaced the right lower motor mount, the original had tried to be "mended" by the previous owner.

The Following User Says Thank You to GotToyota For This Useful Post:
AbramWagner (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Whether it improved my idle issues, cant say yet. It doesnt seem to drop like it did before but I need to drive it a few days to verify.

Reply  Post New Thread