Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #171 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I should clarify, the module Paul is using seems to have a well integrated control scheme, with the addition of a single 15v supply and bootstrap capacitors (to be expected), page 9 of the datasheet. the 600 amp jobbie doesn't and you have to cook up independant supplies (which of course is 9/10 of the way towards making your own highside driver).

Last edited by dcb; 12-16-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #172 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
I kept doing some further research in the International Rectifier web site and found a semi that could do the three-phase inverter driver application for a hi and low side loaded IGBT's with full protection, their part number IRS26302D, something to be consider at about u$s3.50 a piece plus a 44 pin PLCC pcb socket and we can choose any suitable dual IGBT modules money can buy. Of course, plus the other amenities.
. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #173 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

cool, I was actually just looking at the IR213X series, http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-985.pdf , surprised you don't get something like that for your $850

I'm about at the point where I need one of these, but am probably going the atmel route for bldc. I will have to start another thread eventually, but a lot of this control/power stuff is of shared interest.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #174 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

diy gate transformers
General notes on SSTC design - gate drive transformers

Also noticed there are actual chips for controlling the power factor correctors:
L4981B STMicroelectronics Power Factor Correction ICs

p.s. paul, couple presents coming your way, happy b-day
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #175 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
REally??!!! I'm so happy!!!!! I love presents! Go Paul, it's your birthday, light a candle, throw a party!

By the way, maybe I mentioned that the isolation transformer is on it's way now. Only 40 days after buying it on Ebay. It was recommended to me by Fran so the microcontroller ground wouldn't be "hot", causing the programmer to explode in a shower of sparks!

Want to hear something interesting?! A company in Oregon just recently hired me to work on a charger and bms for some Lithium iron phosphate batteries. I even got to pet them. You are a good battery... Yes you are.... That's what I told them. I get to work from home, and it's just a couple hours a day, but I've been putting in a LOT of time, since I don't know very much, and I have to learn as I go! But I'll need to take a break from that, and maybe have it be every other day, so I can get that prototype 3 phase motor controller going! I'm so excited! The pwms are doing what they should. I know how to read the A/D inputs. Now it's just a matter of generating the proper space vector modulation. It doesn't look that hard. I just need a day to immerse myself in the process, and then a few more days of testing. It's called Tinitron. Check out tinitron.com if you want. hehe.

By the way, I bought a triple output power supply. 0-30v 3amp, 12v, 5v, for testing! hUrray!!! And a friend of mine sent me a super super super fancy oscilloscope.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #176 (permalink)
PaulH

Tinitron Inc. I didn't know this! I just read it now! hehe ya!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #177 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
OK,

Im a little late on this post...I was hanging christmas lights....LOL

Im going to try to clear up some of the questions about the Isolation and power converters for the IPM's and IGBT's.

First off, Isolation is mandatory with and AC system...Its mandatory for a DC system as well. Anyways, without isolation, the control logic and power stages would share a common ground, and with that, you have basically created a common ground between the traction battery and the 12V car system battery. This is VERY dangerous. So if you were to touch any of the positive terminals on the battery while touching the frame of the car...

OK, so the isolation uses a minimum of 4 isolated DC-DC converters. One for the 3 low sides and 1 for each high side. They way this work, is because of the internal configuration of the IPM. The low side of the IGTB is connects to the negative battery terminal, this is also connected to the negative supply terminal for the logic of the IPM.

So a little off track for the High side. The way the bootstrap caps work is they charge when the phase is pulled to the negative side of the pack. Since this is common to the negative supply of the logic, the cap charges with 15VDC. when the IGBT goes high, the logic uses the power stored in the caps to power the gate.

Now the reason for not having a common isolated supply for the whole module has to do with the internal wiring distance, delay and inductance. So when you have 3 IGBT's it is not possible to pick a common point to tie the the supply to, So you use 3 so they are all powered at the same time with the same delay, because they are all symmetrical.

So, with the Ebay IGBT modules, you will need 2 small isolated DC-DC converters to power each one. One for High side and one for Low side. There will be two opto-isolator's, One for High and one for Low. Each will get its power from the respective DC-DC converter.

Thats what I have for now. Some time tomorrow, I will post a schematic showing what I mean.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
lapwing (12-30-2009), mpgmike (01-25-2022), sangito (08-24-2014)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM   #178 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Has there been any progress with this sucker?

I have been cleaning up my shop and designing a new, full blown BMS, so haven't had the time to have at the controller yet.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #179 (permalink)
PaulH

I got hired part time to do a BMS, 6kw charger so I haven't worked on it for the last couple weeks. I really want to though.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #180 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Should have your igbts soon Are you building the charger?

Reply  Post New Thread