Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #1231 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
That makes much sense. But my clutch is in the car now, and is coupled up and ready to go.

Perhaps I can remove the parts and do something like you describe after I get through my test. I thought the test was crude when I first read about it, but it's grown on me.

Not sure how I'd put the nut on the shaft, or find the junk transmission. But it sounds a LOT more accurate than what I will be doing.
LOL... I will admit it is dangerously close to back yard hillbilly engineering but it does work.

Does your motor have an auxiliary shaft in the front for an accessory drive? If so you can get a shaft coupler from Graingers or McMaster Carr and weld a nut to that. Then but the trans in the highest gear and block it or have someone hold the brakes. Find the original engine torque specs and watch the torque gauge.

Cyruscosmo

The Following User Says Thank You to Cyruscosmo For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (10-18-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #1232 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cyruscosmo, CrazyRick -- Back on page 118, I pointed to this video;

..and it has the most lucid explanation of FOC I've found. Astro looked at it and said it made "a crazy sort of sense".

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the video. I think I actually understand at least a little of what Paul is trying to build now... After following the DC controller through all it's changes I had begun to think that Paul was some kind of God! Now I am sure he is!

Mechanical and electro-mechanical mechanisms I have no problems with but those cute little tiny boxes that you solder onto the circuit board have no visible moving parts!

Cyruscosmo
Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #1233 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I'm nearing completion of the resolver board layout.

Brief statistics: Board dimentions: 2.8" X 1.225"

87 components... I've managed to fit all this on a two layer board, with all the components on top for a toaster-oven surface mount solder job. Hopefully there isn't a noise interaction problem between this board and the main controller. If there is, I guess it could have a 4 layer board for some shielding, but they cost twice as much.

The main problem I'm having is how to solidly attach this board to the main board, in a vibrating environment.

There is a little space for something like a 3mm non-conductive screw & spacer in the gap between the logic and driver sections on the main controller board.

There also appears to be a bit of space on either side of the QEI connector for perhaps a latching connector or something like that??

I have found some 5 pin connectors that have latches, but no female sockets to go with them.

I'd like to have something more solid than one bolt holding this critical part to the control board. I guess I could machine something out of nylon or something... Or maybe simply use a pin header and solder both boards to the header. It would just be a RPIA to fix anything if something went wrong with either board.

Does anyone have some real creative and small ideas for fastening this thing? Maybe there are some svelt little clips?
Could you post a picture of the layout and where the connector is? That would help me get the creative juices flowing. haha

cts_casemod: I have 1 more board, but I was going to populate it for testing. The other 4 boards are prototypes of people on here. Also, it's going to need a revision, so I'll have to order more once we figure out what needs changing.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #1234 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Could you post a picture of the layout and where the connector is? That would help me get the creative juices flowing. haha

cts_casemod: I have 1 more board, but I was going to populate it for testing. The other 4 boards are prototypes of people on here. Also, it's going to need a revision, so I'll have to order more once we figure out what needs changing.
I'm willing to work/test on that for you, if you can share the schematics and any other relevant information. I will also write a report on my setup by August next year.

I need to design a gate driver that can do two functions:
  • Power a vehicle with the usual 200-600Amps IGBT's (3Ph)
  • Serve as a test bench for my small experiences such as sine wave inverters, etc.

That generally means the design of the DC-Link as well.

For the small model, obviously I am looking at building everything on a PCB, using hall sensors like these.

This will include a 1Ph/3Ph PFC charger I am working on now (anyone here concentrating on charger development?)

This is for IGBT's rated 600V @ 40Amps.

For the larger model, something like this:

Notice the board on the left is a single phase PFC charger. Its set to charge at 1.5KW/440V. I have two.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cts_casemod For This Useful Post:
e*clipse (10-18-2014), thingstodo (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #1235 (permalink)
PaulH

what's the part number on those snubbers? I'm not using snubbers and haven't really known what to search for. The ring cap people said the snubber can often be eliminated due to the extremely low inductance though.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #1236 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
what's the part number on those snubbers? I'm not using snubbers and haven't really known what to search for. The ring cap people said the snubber can often be eliminated due to the extremely low inductance though.
Technically yes, but in practice if you have a loose screw or an oxidized connection on the DC-Link, due to thermal expansion, it may become prone to problems later. The switching losses might be somewhat larger too.

The snubers are kemet C4BSPBX4150ZALJ
The Following User Says Thank You to cts_casemod For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (02-03-2022)
Old 10-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #1237 (permalink)
PaulH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts_casemod View Post
Technically yes, but in practice if you have a loose screw or an oxidized connection on the DC-Link, due to thermal expansion, it may become prone to problems later. The switching losses might be somewhat larger too.

The snubers are kemet C4BSPBX4150ZALJ
the board I have is a driver/control section all in one. is that something you can use? it assumes the use of 3 igbt modules in a particular package.

I had promised adam that I would get him one as soon as its available, so I would need to make the necessary changes and place a new order soon.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 10-18-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Old 10-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #1238 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
the board I have is a driver/control section all in one. is that something you can use? it assumes the use of 3 igbt modules in a particular package.
For the schematic or the PCB?

You're using a similar one to this, right (600A)?
[ I give up trying to link the image ]

http://theelectrostore.com/shopsite_...-fuji-new.html

Last edited by cts_casemod; 10-18-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Old 10-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #1239 (permalink)
PaulH

no. its 3 separate half bridges.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #1240 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
no. its 3 separate half bridges.
Oh, right, I just had a look at one of your previous videos... Was confusing with someone else. What are the inductors for? Isolated DC-DC?

Its not clear what you use for your DC BUS. Thin copper sheets?

Yes, I could use that. My control section is different tough. I will likely keep the gate drivers and control section separate, should I design my own version. I like the idea of a re-usable power section.

Reply  Post New Thread