Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #3101 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You could 3D print the connector, just remember it will not work well with heat.

Chademo semi-compatible dummy plug - for testing by qualified persons only by erroneus - Thingiverse

EDIT:
Oh... this was already posted, sorry...

Last edited by motorulf; 04-08-2017 at 02:03 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #3102 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I just bought the chademo protocol ($145) earlier today. Well, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. It was from Japan. They seem to say that the car commands the current, which would flush my MPPT charging idea down the toilet, as I can't send 100amp at 400v into the battery pack from my panels just because the car gets it in it's head that that is what it wants. If that's really how it works, I couldn't begin to guess why they would design it that way.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #3103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I just bought the chademo protocol ($145) earlier today. Well, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. It was from Japan. They seem to say that the car commands the current, which would flush my MPPT charging idea down the toilet, as I can't send 100amp at 400v into the battery pack from my panels just because the car gets it in it's head that that is what it wants. If that's really how it works, I couldn't begin to guess why they would design it that way.
My understanding is that the car commands the current and generally does the charge control. So it asks for as much current as it can take - for fast charge and the like.

The Chademo, or the J1772, sends in a message how much current and at what voltage the current is supplied. I think this is several times per second. As the battery is charged, the Coulomb count rises, etc the car determines that it should be switched into constant voltage mode. It asks for less current until the voltage drops to setpoint for constant voltage, until the current drops under a threshold, or a timer expires, or some other criteria for 'battery full - stop now'. I think the procedure was originally a method to allow for the same request by the car from any charger.

EVTV posts that Tesla performs a 'reset' .. I think .. every minute or two to allow the charger to send a message with how many amps are available for charging ... or something like that. I can't locate the post just now ..

As for MPPT, I think it makes sense to implement and send the car the status message with output volts and amps ... see if it is OK with that. Damien Maguire has some (maybe a lot?) of logs of charging his land yacht at various charge stations. I think EVTV have code posted for both sides of the conversation. I'll have to look!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-11-2017), HaroldinCR (04-11-2017), MPaulHolmes (04-27-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #3104 (permalink)
PaulH

I've been charging the Leaf at 3.6kW with the split phase inverter that uses the same board as the AC control/driver board, but until now I was just taking the Solar DC input, and basing the AC output voltage on that. The problem was, under load, there would be more losses after the IGBTs so that even if the bus capacitor said, say, 500vDC, you would PWM that down to get a "340vDC" with which you would generate the 240vAC and 120vAC waveforms, it wouldn't REALLY be 340vDC. It would be a nonlinear function of the AC current.

I just finished populating an AC voltage monitoring board, and mounted it above the other board, and just got it wired, so now I'm about to test the new code, which keeps the 2 120v phase voltages balanced, and also keeps the sum of them equal to 240v.
thingstodo (04-15-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:56 AM   #3105 (permalink)
PaulH

I finally got it working reliably with no batteries, and just the solar.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #3106 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Can Paul's circuit board be used with less parts ? I believe the Honda controller I am wanting to convert does not use Can. It runs only with PWM and another something I can't remember. I will dig up that CRS stuff and add it here ASAP
Old 04-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #3107 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldinCR View Post
Can Paul's circuit board be used with less parts ? I believe the Honda controller I am wanting to convert does not use Can. It runs only with PWM and another something I can't remember. I will dig up that CRS stuff and add it here ASAP
Not sure what 'less parts' means. The parts it has drives 3 phases of IGBTs and measures current, uses encoder signal.

Perhaps it could run in Volts per Hz with no current sense or encoder, but less efficient and totally different (and much simpler) code. Is that what you mean?

Is there some parts that you think are optional?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #3108 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm thinking about no can/canbus ? parts. I could probably populate the board and there would be no reason to add parts that would not be used ?

I want to get this working as simply as I can, if possible, so I can learn as I go for later trouble shooting. Recently before the latest slowdown, there was a lot of code changing, etc.

I don't understand all this stuff, and that is what I was referring to. If all that is needed, that's fine.
Then I would need the latest list of components to purchase, and there would no need to purchase parts that were not needed.

Last edited by HaroldinCR; 04-26-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #3109 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldinCR View Post
I'm thinking about no can/canbus ?
I think that the CANbus stuff was for the Leaf Charger. There was also a discussion of the J1772 and Chademo. But I don't think that Paul added hardware to the Controller board for CANbus. Or did I miss that part?
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
HaroldinCR (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #3110 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thingstodo, see? There is my problem. I know Nothing, NOTHING.

Reply  Post New Thread