Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #941 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That's a good idea - I was actually thinking of a surveymonkey type survey (with screennames and cities, and emails included) where one could go and complete the survey, and it would give me a spreadsheet of those wanting to order, and allow me to estimate shipping. In some cases, I could combine shipping if folks lived close enough together to make say 3 to 5 shipping to one address, then breaking it up from there. The more I think about it, the more the surveymonkey survey makes sense. I'll try to put one together and see if it will work.

Wherewolf

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #942 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up Survey of Interested Parties

I've put together a quick survey (to keep the traffic off the forum) to start compiling information together on how many folks are interested in a bulk/group purchase. Please take a moment to complete the survey - any/all information will be only be used for the purpose stated and will not be shared with ANYONE outside the group. You have my word on that - this is strictly to get an idea of how many parts we can buy at a time for the best price. (when the time comes )

Click Here for the ReVolt Survey!

Wherewolf
Old 04-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #943 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
That was awesome, Wherewolf! I took the survey! Sign me up! haha! Nice Job.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #944 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gee Paul...Thanks!

And we now have 4 responses! Wooo WHoo! (of course one is you; and one is me, but we've got 4!) - But seriously folks, this is just a preliminary survey for interest. Please do respond if you think you will want participate in a bulk purchase. There's a lot of details to work out first, but like Paul with the controller.....you gotta start somewhere!

Wherewolf
Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #945 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Added a reply. w/ Comments that mostly relate to those in woop woops parts of the world outside the US.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #946 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
xtian999, This is a brushed DC controller, which means it is the easiest most simple one. A BLDC controller requires an H-bridge or a 3-phase H-bridge, same with the ACIM. The control board could be modified to be generic, but it is not now as there are more PWM outputs required. Also, there would have to be a completely different firmware written.

So in conclusion... No.

I figure I might as well mention it here... I PM'd paul to say that I will volunteer to solder all of the control and power boards for the V2 Beta run. So if a bunch of people group-buy the components, they can be shipped directly from digikey (digikey.ca would make sense) to me, and I will then ship completed and tested control boards, static bagged and bubble wrapped, to Paul for distribution.

Paul... is there any reason to believe that this controller would run less efficiently or not at all at lower voltages/currents? If it were possible for me to play with something electric, it would be a motorcycle and it would be 48-72 volt. No issues, i expect?
The Following User Says Thank You to MazdaMatt For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (01-11-2022)
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #947 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm in, though I have no motor or car yet. I want something cheap and fast, short range ok. I am thinking of a Fiero? Still need to find the glider and motor. Wherewolf, thanks for changing your Icon, that monkey kind of creeped me out.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #948 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have been watching this thread with great interest for a little while now. I just wanted to jump in and say thanks to Paul and everyone that is contributing to making this become a reality. This may be one of the mile stones for the EV community Hopefully I can be a small part of it.

I have been slowly working toward putting my first EV together and as usual I tend to take the road less traveled The controller has been the stopping point I hit last year as I just was not happy with any of the controller options on the market. This has given me the enthusiasm to get back working on it. I have the batteries (enough to run up to 156v), a 11.5" 250# series motor, and am planning to put it into a 5000# truck with an electronic automatic transmission. Don't flame me too bad So I think I can contribute to the extreme side of the beta testing.

If I can help in anyway just let me know. Otherwise I'll try to say out of the way.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #949 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Welcome, blwncrewchief! Yay, another Hoosier!

GrahamMc, dittos on the monkey icon! Thanks, Wherewolf!

P.S. survey taken.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #950 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
That's a monster EV you've got going. Do you have the amp-hours to make it useful?

Reply  Post New Thread