Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Around here if you drive 81mph you risk $500 and 5 points, but idiots still do.
Hang up the flow of traffic in the left lane and your prize is a jacked up diesel 22 foot long pickup climbing up your rear bumper.
Lol, I take that risk often, but I try to blend in with others who are speeding as well. The fine is the risk, and I have paid a few in my time, but my fuel savings from driving full electric offsets that many times over. It is pretty easy to go 80+ in an EV if you are not monitoring your speed closely, but I usually know when I am anyway. My electric for my commute is less than 50 cents if I drive like i have a passion for automobiles, and less than a quarter if I eco drive. I like to eco drive a lot as well, since I am very interested in pushing the limits of efficiency, but my builds are performance oriented as well, so I also want to drive them hard. Either way, it is only a difference of a few nickels, literally. My eco driving has taught me a lot of respect for drivers who are driving to use less fuel, and my passionate driving has taught me to respect those who are in a bigger hurry than I am.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Nice! This concept has a lot of merit, and could very well effect how I see the Prius. I am actually contemplating a Prius project right now, an all electric Prius that goes faster and is more efficient. I want to pull the fuel hog Atkinson motor out of it, and take advantage of a chassis that cuts through the wind very well. It is a little on the heavy side, but I am working up a plan to do one of these. I have a pretty solid EV system that I am getting pretty experienced with (as seen in my third conversion thread) so I have a pretty good idea of what kind of results to expect. Right now I am researching the different generations and years of the Prius to find out which one would benefit me the most. Who knows, maybe we will see a Prius sometime in the future terrorizing the left lane here in Sacramento...
Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
This I would really (seriously) love to see. Keep us posted!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
This I would really (seriously) love to see. Keep us posted!
You are one of the people out there who understands what it takes to convert to an EV, so you probably know what I am up against as far as researching what needs to be done with the Prius. There are some parts in there that I may be able to re use like contactors and such, but I may not be able to re use much. The DC DC converter looks like a higher voltage, and I may have to source a transmission... Lots of research and planning, but lots of potential.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVmetro View Post
Nice! This concept has a lot of merit, and could very well effect how I see the Prius. I am actually contemplating a Prius project right now, an all electric Prius that goes faster and is more efficient. I want to pull the fuel hog Atkinson motor out of it, and take advantage of a chassis that cuts through the wind very well. It is a little on the heavy side, but I am working up a plan to do one of these. I have a pretty solid EV system that I am getting pretty experienced with (as seen in my third conversion thread) so I have a pretty good idea of what kind of results to expect. Right now I am researching the different generations and years of the Prius to find out which one would benefit me the most. Who knows, maybe we will see a Prius sometime in the future terrorizing the left lane here in Sacramento...
IM going to need to make another pop corn run for this one.lol

Old 03-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
IM going to need to make another pop corn run for this one.lol
Here is another conversion project that I am working on right now if you have your popcorn ready...

Eldorado Conversion

I have not updated that thread in awhile, but it is still in work...
The Following User Says Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
if I drive like i have a passion for automobiles...

My eco driving has taught me a lot of respect for drivers who are driving to use less fuel, and my passionate driving has taught me to respect those who are in a bigger hurry than I am.
Eco driving and driving as if you have a passion for automobiles aren't different things: Driving for mileage or or driving for time, you're pushing your car hard. I'm just as proud of my 70.9 mph run from Virginia to New Hampshire (with three stops and some vicious NYC traffic) as I am of getting a 34.77 mpg tank in the same car. Well, maybe not- one of them took less than eight hours of concentration and effort and the other was sustained over twice that much driving time spread across nine days. Okay, so I'm almost as proud of the speed run.

But neither aspect of preformance driving has anything to do with being inconsiderate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
There is a guy, jddcircuit, has been sorting out an all electric prius. Even came up with an integrated charger concept that uses both motors as inductors.

I recall something about welding on the synergy drive, if you do it right, the motors will be in phase and just need one logic controller, and you can still re-purpose the inverter too, i *think*.

Edit, here is the page with the planetary welds, don't think this is jddcircuit though:
http://99mpg.com/ProjectCars/evinsight/

Last edited by P-hack; 03-12-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
I am actually contemplating a Prius project right now, an all electric Prius that goes faster and is more efficient. I want to pull the fuel hog Atkinson motor out of it, and take advantage of a chassis that cuts through the wind very well.
I'm not into hybrids, and all-electric is also not my cup of tea, but I have also considered some Prius-based projects. I've already considered to drop a 2-stroke engine (a modern one, with direct injection, such as those used as powerhead for outboards) backed by a 4-speed manual transmission into a Prius bodyshell.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Huh? My understanding is that the Prius is the fastest car in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Hang up the flow of traffic in the left lane and your prize is a jacked up diesel 22 foot long pickup climbing up your rear bumper.
So true. I had an 18-wheeler up my butt a couple of weeks ago. Nevermind the complete lack of respect for what he or she was driving, but I imagine it wouldn't have taken much to ruin their career.

I need to get a rear-facing camera.

Reply  Post New Thread