Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Prius problem

I am starting this thread for two reasons. The first, my disclaimer, is that I am a bit of an anti Prius troll, and the second is out of genuine curiosity. It seems that on my commute to and from work every day, I encounter a Prius who is interrupting the flow of traffic. There are certainly other makes and models with drivers who are out of touch with reality, but there seems to be a remarkable concentration of the Prius problem. There seems to be little regard for what is an appropriate speed to be traveling, and little regard for the slower traffic keep right concept. The next largest group of left lane owners that I have observed are various makes of mini vans, but they don't even come close to the Prius problem. I often try to get a look at the driver when I finally get a chance to get around it, and the drivers often have the seat way far forward, and the seat back straight up, hands at 10:00 and 2:00 the dmv driving manual. The windows are usually up, and although I can't hear what is going on inside the car, it is obvious that the there is no music playing. So, what's up with the Prius?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Statement unclear, response hazardous.

Is this Prius driving slowly in the fast lane? My experience has always been Prius drivers passing everyone like Audis did back in Germany.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

05 Prius (wife's) - '05 Toyota Prius package 5
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.32 mpg (US)

Citrus - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVmetro View Post
I am starting this thread for two reasons. The first, my disclaimer, is that I am a bit of an anti Prius troll, and the second is out of genuine curiosity. It seems that on my commute to and from work every day, I encounter a Prius who is interrupting the flow of traffic. There are certainly other makes and models with drivers who are out of touch with reality, but there seems to be a remarkable concentration of the Prius problem. There seems to be little regard for what is an appropriate speed to be traveling, and little regard for the slower traffic keep right concept. The next largest group of left lane owners that I have observed are various makes of mini vans, but they don't even come close to the Prius problem. I often try to get a look at the driver when I finally get a chance to get around it, and the drivers often have the seat way far forward, and the seat back straight up, hands at 10:00 and 2:00 the dmv driving manual. The windows are usually up, and although I can't hear what is going on inside the car, it is obvious that the there is no music playing. So, what's up with the Prius?
Probably my wife in her 05 silver prius...do they drive slow or fast? my wife is usually a right line cruiser.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Statement unclear, response hazardous.

Is this Prius driving slowly in the fast lane? My experience has always been Prius drivers passing everyone like Audis did back in Germany.
Lol, I have in fact seen an occasional Prius that is hard to keep up with. Those things scoot when they need to. As for the Prius driving too slowly in the fast lane, that is a big part of what I am talking about. I want to understand what is going on with these people. I have travelled and lived all over the world, and have witnessed a universal concept of slower traffic keeping to the right, but these Prius drivers here in America seem to be in their own isolated environment where they are the only drivers on the road. They will drive in the left lane next to a slow truck for miles, or an indefinite time, without noticing or having any regard for the traffic jam behind them. When you finally get a chance to peek at these drivers, they seem to be in really blah looking people, and their driving posture tends to be an uptight driving position.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
I see that here, but no necessarily prius drivers. Maybe its the idea that they dont care/know how to drive and they bought a prius because its cheap to operate and, because they dont care about driving, dont care about how enjoyable it is to drive?

Not so much a prius problem as an idiot problem. Keep them out there in cali, would you?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I see that here, but no necessarily prius drivers. Maybe its the idea that they dont care/know how to drive and they bought a prius because its cheap to operate and, because they dont care about driving, dont care about how enjoyable it is to drive?

Not so much a prius problem as an idiot problem. Keep them out there in cali, would you?
I see plenty of other idiots who behave the same way, but a very high concentration of the Prius variety. I think you captured a little bit of what I was wanting to say about the blah people... They are clearly not auto enthusiasts. No passion whatsoever.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I have travelled and lived all over the world, and have witnessed a universal concept of slower traffic keeping to the right, but these Prius drivers here in America seem to be in their own isolated environment where they are the only drivers on the road.
It is certainly an all-to-common behavior around here (northern Nevada), but it's hardly limited to Prius drivers. In fact, I can't instantly recall having seen a Prius do it. Though I admit to not particularly keeping track of vehicle make, it doesn't seem correlated at all.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
OK, I'll 'bite' and ask the hard question: You driving the POSTED speed limit around those Prii, and that's why you're harping about their perceived "driver slowness"? (and "yes" I've driven in Caliprunia)

• Windows down at 50+ mph = increased aerodrag.
• Hands at 10 & 2 means they're not texting or dialing cell phones!
• Cars are transportation devices, NOT self-propelled music chambers.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Maybe its the idea that they dont care/know how to drive and they bought a prius because its cheap to operate and, because they dont care about driving, dont care about how enjoyable it is to drive?
I would think that a driver like this might also like the Prius for soft suspension, and reduced noise (like any hybrid)

While I feel like it's true, I also wonder if the distinctiveness of the prius' body makes it easier to label these drivers. I encounter others who seem similar, but just think of them as driving some random vehicle
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post

• Windows down at 50+ mph = increased aerodrag.
• Hands at 10 & 2 means they're not texting or dialing cell phones!
• Cars are transportation devices, NOT self-propelled music chambers.
This! This is exactly what the problem is! I have a lot of respect for other drivers, and for people who fit the description above, but not when they are in the hammer lane or next to another Prius who is doing the same thing. There is a respectable way to Eco drive. When I spot an Eco driver who is clearly driving that way for economy, I make sure to do what I can to accommodate him, but rarely do they let me go 80 when that's how I want to drive. It's like they want to force me to drive like them.

There is the mutual respect between those of us who Eco drive and those of us who go 80 in the hammer lane, and then there is the problem of the Prius driver who is completely out of touch with what the rest of the drivers are doing, is driving too slow in whatever lane they are in, and are focused on exclusively on the 100 feet in front of their vehicle.

Reply  Post New Thread