Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #91 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post

What are the big corporations doing with the all the wealth that all you made for them? They are sitting on their fat asses not investing it.
Where do you think corporations put all that "wealth" you describe? You think they are hoarding it under a big mattress, somewhere? If that capital is parked anywhere at all, it is still an investment of one sort or another; it is invested somewhere for a return.

Quote:
So a big thanks for nothing goes out to all those big corporations we are all so proud of for making the world a better place... for them.
Obviously you are confusing corporate business with charitable institutions. Corporations and business act in their best interests. Why do you expect and demand they do otherwise? They are not charities, nor are they expected to make your world "a better place". You may not like it, but that's the real world. Personally, I don't like corporations any more than you do - but by now I know that sulking about them will not change anything.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #92 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
You think? Me, I supported civil rights though I'm not black, I support gay rights though I'm a confirmed heterosexual, equal rights for women though I'm male... And I do this for the same reason that I'm against unreasonably high tax rates for the wealthy: because sometimes it ought to be about what's fair, not about me getting mine at the expense of someone else.
There's nothing unreasonably high about tax rates for the wealthy. In fact, the wealthy pay less taxes as a function of income than any group except the destitute.

I'm glad they have people like you to worry about their plight. Poor, poor billionaires.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #93 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
You think? Me, I supported civil rights though I'm not black...
You are a new man you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Where do you think corporations put all that "wealth" you describe? ...
Oh god.

Please can we close this thread with Eeaaarth too ?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #94 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
You are a new man you...

Oh god.

Please can we close this thread with Eeaaarth too ?
Look - having any discussion means that differing opinions must be tolerated and heard.

If this bothers you so much, why don't you simply unsubscribe from the thread and stop reading it? Instead of posting chronic whining about it and pleading for others not to respond as you often do... or worse, playing the game of saying you are leaving, then returning, then leaving again...
Old 09-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #95 (permalink)
Ted
EcoModding Lurker

Accord - '10 Accord Coupe EX-L
90 day: 26.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
There's nothing unreasonably high about tax rates for the wealthy. In fact, the wealthy pay less taxes as a function of income than any group except the destitute.

Not really. The data on the tax foundation web pages proves you wrong. This forum won't let me post the link.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #96 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

Yes, those poor billionaires paying just 15% on their "capital gains" while the rest of us pay payroll taxes, and then 25-30% of whatever's left after that at the end of the year.

House ownership to me is to have a place over my head that I own for my crap, my cars, and my tools. Considering my car is the biggest determining factor to whether or not I make money that day, it only makes sense to have it stored nicely when it's not being used. A house does that function nicely. If my job goes belly-up, then I'll use the house and tools to fix other people's cars until they no longer have jobs.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #97 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
If this bothers you so much, why don't you simply unsubscribe from the thread and stop reading it?
Just ignore those leaches and tics, they will go away...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #98 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Just ignore those , they will go away...
Given the context of your response, those with whom you disagree are the equivalent of "leaches (sic) and tics".

That's called insult by insinuation. My, how clever...
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #99 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
Yes, those poor billionaires paying just 15% on their "capital gains" while the rest of us pay payroll taxes, and then 25-30% of whatever's left after that at the end of the year.
That much? The trust fund babies who make all of their income on capital gains pay no tax at all on long-term capital gains, and 10% on short-term gains.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Not entirely true. A wealthy person who gets most of their income as earned income pays a much higher rate than the average taxpayer: 35% on everything over $379,150 for a single person. On the other hand, if you have an income less than about $35K (again, for a single person) you pay zero tax on capital gains - and there are probably a lot of retired folks in this position.

In either case, whether the income is earned or CG, the typical rich person will pay a far higher amount of tax, but don't get anything more (and probably less) from government "services" than anyone else. So where is the fairness in expecting them to pay, not just more because they have more income, but a higher rate? Seems to me that's just a majority wanting to freeload off the more successful minority.

And of course there is a bit of self interest here: once that majority sucks the rich dry, who will they turn to next? The not rich but above average people like me, that's who. And after they're done with me, how much do you want to bet they won't come for you, too?

Reply  Post New Thread