Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
So... the registration laws of the state you are passing through supercede the laws of your home state?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Now, about the electric motor.

I've used 36 volt, 750 watt electric motors on bicycles and tricycles. If you pedal a lot and only use the electric motor on hills you can expect about 20 miles before the batteries require 4 hours of charging. Continuous motor use will reduce that to about 5 miles or less.

Lithium will go farther and charge quicker but not much farther and not a lot quicker.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
So... the registration laws of the state you are passing through supercede the laws of your home state?

Exactly!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
I agree with you Frank, altho I haven't read the state statutes in a few years I have read them for my state and it did say very clearly that all vehicle laws around licensing and registering and what types of vehicles are allowed on the roads from my home state carry over to other states as long as my state honers laws from that state.

So if there is a law that says otherwise I would like to see it cited.

I would also like to see this law cited that says that a bicycle can only have up to 3 wheels, because my understanding was that a bicycle had pedals and wheels that were over 12" and that a bicycle could have a motor up to 750 watts and still be a bicycle in the eyes of the law, not a motorized bicycle, so if federal law is different now it would be nice if that piece of law could be cited so that we could all read it as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, it's not the do all, end all, but we can start with this Wikipedia entry.

You notice that laws vary wildly. Florida allows a 60 mph top speed, Other states have no rules.

As to your thoughts on registration: In most states bicycles, even motorized bicycles, are NOT considered motor vehicles and therefore are not covered under uniform registration laws pertaining to motor vehicles.

Many states seem to be making up the rules as they go.

You'll notice in the Wikipedia article that most states that actually have statutes restrict bicycles to 3 wheels.

As a dealer for EZ Motorbikes-- a 50cc ICE motorized bicycle-- I am in contact with dealers from all over the USA and Canada and have heard some horror stories.

And in case you're wondering, the 2001 Federal Definition of a bicycle was said to be an obscure passage in VP Dick Cheney's Energy Bill. In other words, it was written by Big Oil.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here it is: HR 727 Federal Electric Bicycle Law (pdf)
Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
I do know that if you have a trailer hooked to your vehicle and happen to drive into Illinois you will get pulled over and inspected.

Too bad its illegal to punch a police officer being an ass.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Unhappy Rhoades Car = Big Problems!

I would think twice before taking a Rhoades Car for a solo cross-country trip. I have the four seater model modified by Rhoades with the cargo waggin' and have had nothing but problems with it.

I have had mine for almost three months, and here is a list of the problems I've had thus far:
1. Tailgate on cargo bed would not stay in the upright and locked position. This problem presented itself on my maiden ride
2. Hinges in tailgate fell out. This took a couple of days for this to happen.
3. One of the plastic connectors Rhoades Car uses to connect the cargo frame together broke. I've tried to glue it without much success.
4. Drive sprocket on motor broke apart. This happened after I had had the Rhoades Car nearly two weeks. I had no load in the cargo bed at the time.
5. At 6 weeks 3 of the wheels folded as I pedaled down from a curb. I had to call a flatbed wrecker to carry me home at a cost of over $200.
All of the parts and repairs have been at my expense - Rhoades Car hasn't remitted a penny, in spite of the fact that I was told when I purchased the vehicle that they would cover the costs of parts and repairs during the warranty period. They have not done this. To date, my costs have exceeded $1500, on a Rhoades Car purchased for $7500.

I've contacted a local bicycle builder where I live and asked for his advice. He was surprised at the cheapness of the wheels Rhoades Car uses, and questioned why Rhoades Car doesn't use rims specifically for weight-bearing vehicles. He also was amazed at the poor quality of the rear cassette (gears), advising me to replace it as soon as possible to avoid another breakdown.

Maybe my experience is an isolated case - but I don't think so.

If you decide to buy a Rhoades Car after reading this you have no one to blame if yours is a Lemon like mine.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I wonder if Teri ever made her trip?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I doubt it. And I hate to say it but Rhoades seems to be preying on the not mechanically inclined.

Reply  Post New Thread