Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Slowpoke - '06 Saturn Vue Base
90 day: 22.88 mpg (US)
For the wheel arch gap, I ordered lowering springs. They drop the front 2,5in and the back 2in which give the truck a 2in cut in the wheel arch gaps. I dont plan on filling the rest of the gaps... Dont really like the look it gives... But I bought wheel covers and I plan on going the pizza pan way.

As for Dfco, I cant figure why, but my truck never enters dfco.... NEVER! Between shifts, the engine takes some time slowing down. If I shift àt 2000RPM the engine will rev up to 2100-2200rpm before slowing down. I dont know why, but on Saturn forums people say its normal for a Saturn. Will have to work on this because I think it might hurt my fuel economy.

200kms in since the last fill and Im in the 30Mpgs area. Still room for improvement, got to get use to the kill switch use.

Yaaayy!!!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Def. interested in this thread. My wife drives a Saturn Vue as well. It’s been a rock solid vehicle and she consistently averages 25mpg+ (regularly gets 28 in warm weather) in mixed city/rural driving.

Couple things I’ve found:
-I can’t help but feel the shifter issues some have experienced are a problem with the cable or shifter mechanism. Her’s has never been an issue to get into/out of gear and shifting is never more than ever-so mildly ‘notchy’.

-The RPM ‘flare’ when shifting is caused by your hand/foot timing. The Vue has a somewhat laggy drive by wire system and you have to start releasing the gas pedal probably a ½ sec. earlier than you normally would with a manual trans. Every time I drive her car I have to remind myself to roll out of the gas before actually beginning to depress the clutch or else VAROOOM between every gear.

-Cold weather really makes the MPG’s plummet in these things so I’ve VERY interested in seeing the effectiveness of your WAI.

-Also interested if the lowering springs make any discernible difference. These things do sit pretty high and for no real good reason.

I’ve done some research and one major job I’d love to see someone get some results on is a 5th gear swap. The Vue uses the same Getrag F23 transmission as the Cavalier/Cobalt/HHR and an assortment of other small GM vehicles. The difference is though, the Vue has a 4.41 final drive (which it needs to get this portly thing going!) and a .81 5th ratio. All other versions got a super tall .69 5th and an assortment of final drives ranging from 3.84-4.17; all other ratios and internals are identical.
I considered a final drive swap but like I said, this thing is portly and I feel a taller final might actually hurt in-town mileage. However, the crummy .81 5th has it spinning 2600-2700 (indicated) at 60mph and I can’t help but feel that is simply too high for max hwy mpg’s. Rolling into the throttle at 60 shows there is PLENTY of grunt at those engine speeds leading me to believe lower cruise RPM’s would be beneficial here in the flatter portions of the country.
Anyway, it’s a major job that requires splitting the trans and swapping out a shaft or two (some of the gears are integral to the input/output/counter shafts). However, donor transmissions should be plentiful and cheap. I would just use a donor and swap out the final drive to the Vue’s 4.41 but I’ve heard there are minor external case differences, I haven’t been able to confirm this though. Still, when I go to replace the clutch I’ll probably tackle this as it would drop hwy RPM’s by about 15%.
The Following User Says Thank You to CAPTAIN CHAOS For This Useful Post:
BenArcher006 (11-10-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Here is a picture of my rear diffuser that sits up right on my exhaust pipe (keep in mind, turbo engine)

opposite side, you can see the coroplast has BARELY melted away

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well my kill switch just went south!! On a red light engine off was not able to restart the engine on the Green Light!!

Will have to work on it tomorrow! I have no Idea what happen the engine was working fine when I killed it!!

Kinda pissed because my Mpgs were going up with it and now theyre taking a dive!!

Edit: Already fixed!! Couldnt wait till tomorrow!!

Last edited by BenArcher006; 10-30-2015 at 10:27 PM..
Old 10-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
From the manual:
Quote:
Injector Cutoff
MENU -> UltraGauge Setup -> Injector Cutoff

While in gear during de-acceleration, many vehicle manufacturers will turn off the fuel injectors in order to save fuel. This is true for vehicles with either manual or automatic transmissions. The fuel savings is slight, but over time and distance could become significant. UltraGauge can detect when the injectors are switched off and factor the fuel savings into the fuel usage and mileage calculations.

Injector cutoff is disabled when set to zero, and is disabled by default. To enable Injector cutoff detection, set the value equal to seven times the engine size in liters, rounded up to a whole number. For example, for a 2.3L engine the value should be set to 2.3x7= 16.1 -> 17. The value is not crucial and this calculation represents a best estimate.

When enabled and injector cutoff occurs, the Instantaneous MPG will read 999.9, and the Instantaneous Gallons/hour will read 0.0

Injector Cutoff should only be seen when de-accelerating. If during heavy acceleration, Injector Cutoff falsely occurs, decrease the injector cutoff value by 20% or until cutoff no longer occurs. Setting the value too low will cause the Injector Cutoff to never be detected.

NOTE: Injector cutoff detection should be enabled prior to performing fuel calibration. If enabled after calibration, the calibration procedure should again be performed.

NOTE: If the open/closed loop indicator is not displayed on the gauge display or the loop is always open, then the vehicle does not support Injector Cutoff detection and this feature should remain disabled. If the loop indicator is always open, this could indicate an issue with your vehicle. If so, check for the presence of trouble codes.

NOTE: Nearly all Diesel vehicles do not operate a closed loop system, and as such do not support the open/closed loop indicator. UltraGauge does not support injector cutoff for Diesel vehicles.

NOTE: Each vehicle manufacturer has their own algorithm for injector cutoff. Some require significant de-acceleration, usually enabled in terms of higher RPMs and a certain speed threshold, while others have a much lower de-acceleration requirement.

NOTE: When the transmission is placed in neutral, the vehicle’s injector cutoff function is disabled.

NOTE: This is an optional setting and provides only marginal benefit to fuel usage and MPG calculations.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Getting impatient with the shipping of my springs!! Would really like to install them right away with my pizza pan wheel covers!

Other than that, Im eyeballing the spare tire and jack... Thinking bout buying à 12v compressor and "patching" fluid, might shave 20 to 30 pounds off the truck..

Looking into kamback, but I dobt think there is a lot to gain as I drive mostly in town... I lilke the post about the fifth gear swap but thats a big job... Looked into lightweight flywheel but dont know if it would help or hurt Mpgs...

Im getting crazy... My girlfriend is concerned.. Haha

Old 11-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

There has been a error by shipping compagny with my springs, but everything is sorted out and I should receive them this week.

Installed my winter tires today along with my wheel covers. Went on a short trip just to see if they made any différence. Im sure Im crazy, but my average got from 28.33mpg to 28.86. Half a mile per gallon seems a lot to me for simple wheel covers.

Still waiting on the spring to reduce that gigantic wheel arch gap and maybe have a more aerodynamic ride.

Ordered LEDs all around the truck and Hids to maybe have a lower current consumption from the battery and alternator.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenArcher006 View Post
Im getting crazy... My girlfriend is concerned.. Haha
Um, I think that means you're ecomodding just right

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 11-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Received my HIDs 6000k from VVME.

Must admit, I dont think there is a better kit out there for the price.

65$cad with relay kit shipping included and 2 years warranty, cant beat that.

All there is left to do is align them so I wont blind people on the streets.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
I just installed 8000k HIDs from Innovited. The difference is amazing to say the least. You'll love them if you do any night driving, especially out in the country. I am aiming mine in such way that it may aggravate oncoming traffic, but I'll see deer sooner since I drive 95% rural

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
Reply  Post New Thread