Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hello,

I could try the lower grill; but my guess is that it won't work as well -- but I should try it! The lower grill is recessed, whereas the upper one is flush. I also want to try covering the fog lights, though that will need a clear plastic cover.

Does your xA have a coolant gauge? Or are you using the ScanGaugeII? Mine just has a little light: it is blue when it is cool and warming up, it is off when it is normal, and it turns red when it is too hot. I have yet to see it red...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
ScionXA in PA

PA Scion XA - '06 Scion XA
90 day: 44.07 mpg (US)
I have the ScangaugeII and the temp is very consistent once warmed up, right around 181 so far. I image it will go up a little as the ambient air temp goes up over the summer. That would be my only concern, and I doubt that it would be an issue except under extreme conditions. I would also have to look where the AC unit is located, that might be an issue too.

I agree you would have to fill the lower grill to make it flush, but it is a pretty big area and might give more gains than the upper grill. I only have the running light recesses, no lights so that is less of an issue for me. There are no extras on mine. It is as stock as you can get it.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Xa - '06 Scion Xa Release Series 3.0
90 day: 44.88 mpg (US)
The standard goodyears. I'm mostly doing coasting with a controlled take off from lights, slower on the thruway, shifting at 1500rpm's without lugging the engine. I live at about 1200 feet and work at about 150 ft in elevation. So lot;s of coasting to work, and a slow and steady pace home with decel on hills, gaining on downhills. I have a scanguage coming especially with working with my motorhome for a long trip this summer. If I can get the fuel economy from 7.5mpg's to 9 or 10 mpg's I'll see a huge savings on a very long trip(florida from NY). Haven't mastered the p&g, but never use the engine to slow me down, coast out of parking lot;s etc. Fixed the nut behind the wheel mostly. YFF
Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Newbee Hypermiler!

SilverHondaFit - '13 Honda Fit
90 day: 35.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfishingfool View Post
Fixed the nut behind the wheel mostly. YFF
Can you please explain that? I own 2006 Scion xA Automatic (Stock prerty much)
I also do coasting to lights and stop signs since mine is Automatic transmission.

If I want to do engine-on coasting on my car in neutral at what RPMs I should go back to Drive? I just don't want this method to kill my tranny.

thanks

Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Xa - '06 Scion Xa Release Series 3.0
90 day: 44.88 mpg (US)
This is an oldie...

I'm the nut behind the wheel. Learned restraint and better driving tech's. As for an auto and coasting....never done it. Go standard all the way. During summer I am still getting 37-40mpg, slightly lower with the air going and at highway speeds over 70, and during the winter 34-37mpg.
The Following User Says Thank You to yakfishingfool For This Useful Post:
harshalsk (08-26-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
When you are coasting and want to keep/gain speed than put it in neutral. When you are coasting and you need to scrub speed leave it in drive or downshift into 3rd or 2nd, and right before you stop, even use 1st. When the engine is braking the car (with or without the friction brakes), then the fuel is cut off completely.

Coasting in neutral you can get 200-350mpg, depending on the speed, and you will can carry this as far as possible, so sometimes a mile or more. Coasting using the engine for braking gets you "infinite" mileage, but you can only get this while slowing down, so the distance is limited by definition.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Reply  Post New Thread