Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Shouty Kilmer dances on the grave of the New Beetle:

At 5:03 he shows the Mel's Hot Dogs Bug. (for the safety crush zones)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Well I have to agree with Shouty on that video. I remember the original commercial for the new Beetle. They parked the car such that it outlined the arch of a bridge, and said something about how Romans built things with arches for a reason. My first thought was, a car is intended to be driven, not support a span. Looks like they gave no consideration to aero, and instead focused on the cute aesthetic, and thus appeals more to women than men (not that aesthetic doesn't apply to men too).

They built a dumb car for women. Good riddance.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When they came out, people asked me excitedly if I was going to get one. I hedged with "Maybe when they're down to a thousand dollars." Truth be known, I was dismayed that they put it on the Golf platform instead of the Polo, like the original concept.

https://cardesignnews.com/articles/c...concept-1-1994

Quote:
Unlike the original, the concept's engine was front mounted and water cooled. The concept was built on the contemporary Polo platform, unlike the production car that used the fourth-generation Golf's underpinnings. As a result, the concept is around 300mm shorter, 85mm narrower but the same height as the production car, although its wheelbase is 10mm longer than the road-going model.
They stole the roofline from the Audi Quattro Concept and replace the recessed backlight with a hatch.

http://oldconceptcars.com/1930-2004/...-concept-1991/

Which I just now notice has the same flying buttress as a Ford GT40 or (my favorite Golf) the bubble-top coupe Golf GTIW12-650.

My local VW mechanics preferred working under the dashboard of a Jetta compare to the New Beetle.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:33 AM   #54 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was dismayed that they put it on the Golf platform instead of the Polo, like the original concept.
Had the production model used the Polo platform, maybe it wouldn't be available in the U.S. because Volkswagen didn't really care about federalizing this platform. Well, nowadays that sedans which would be classified as a subcompact in the U.S. such as the present-day Volkswagen Virtus are about the same size of previous generations of the Jetta, it does surprise me that Volkswagen doesn't even try to offer it there. Well, in fact it could be conceptually closer to the original Beetle's purpose (not so close when it comes to off-road ability) than the New Beetle...
Old 10-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Soon to be the New Old Beetle. They're going out of production.

Maybe one of the new electrics will be retro.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Sodium batteries will (or can) replace lithium using solid state batteries.

Ethanol from sugar cane it's a lot more efficient to produce than ethanol from corn. Brazil produces a lot of ethanol this way. And new researches are focusisng to use even the dry portions of the plants to produce alcohol, since they study bacteries able to broke celulosis into sugar, and then sugar is fermented to became alcohol.

About hydrogen... I would say forget about use liquid hydrogen in tanks for cars, since the energy you spent to liquify hydrogen it's about 50%of the energy hydrogen can render on engines or in fuel cells.And hydrogen atoms it's so small it will leak day by day in the tanks, since it can break through the atoms from the tank.

Hydrogen to store energy can't be very good, since I imagine the loss it's high. If you convert water to oxigen and hydrogen, by electrolysis, using the energy from solar panels, the energy recovered after use the hydrogen in a fuel cell would be small compared to the energy spent in the electrolysis.

I believe in green revolution, but not as a one single savior source or single technology, but in a combination of diferent approuchs combined. Solar, eolic, bio fuels, new batteries, lightweight cars.
And maybe nuclear power may be neady for a wile while technologies didn't "get there enought" yet.

And technologies to turn thermoelectric power plants far less polluter can also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
If you ask me, the whole "Future is ..." is just advertising one proprietal solution.

There is not enough lithium to convert all petrol cars to electric
There is not enough platinum to make hydrogene cells for all cars nor not enough resources to produce so much hydrogene.
There is not enough corn to run all petrol cars on ethanol.

Last edited by All Darc; 10-05-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Old 10-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #57 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Ethanol from sugar cane it's a lot more efficient to produce than ethanol from corn. Brazil produces a lot of ethanol this way.
I'm not so unfavorable to corn-based ethanol, since the distillation-grain out of the ethanol mills increases the weight gain of beef cattle fed with it. That could be a good way to keep ethanol prices more stable year-round. And even some residual molasses from the processing of soybeans into that texturized soy protein widely used as a meat replacement by vegans can be turned into ethanol.

Quote:
And new researches are focusisng to use even the dry portions of the plants to produce alcohol, since they study bacteries able to broke celulosis into sugar, and then sugar is fermented to became alcohol.
Cellulose ethanol might become a valuable asset, and it is already produced in Sweden at least since 1909 relying on residues from the timber and paper production there, but it was mostly used as a feedstock for the chemical industry.

Quote:
About hydrogen... I would say forget about use liquid hydrogen in tanks for cars, since the energy you spent to liquify hydrogen it's about 50%of the energy hydrogen can render on engines or in fuel cells.And hydrogen atoms it's so small it will leak day by day in the tanks, since it can break through the atoms from the tank.
I would say, forget hydrogen at all. Those solid-oxide fuel cells that can operate with hydrocarbons instead of pure hydrogen make a lot more sense.

Quote:
I believe in green revolution, but not as a one single savior source or single technology, [B]but in a combination of diferent approuchs combined. Solar, eolic, bio fuels, new batteries, lightweight cars.
I openly support biodiesel and some eventual usage of pure vegetable oils as alternate fuels, but I consider both ethanol and biomethane to also retain a foothold in the middle-to-long term.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:59 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Who is paying for this:

Clickbait title argues past the sale. There is a limited set of people who advocate for nuclear war and it's obvious they don't have The Football. It's filler material about the history of the auto industry plus Musk not buying Twitter in May. ???

Compare a better informed source Whatifalthist:

This is an actual plausible scenario. There's still a chance for a return to the Minsk agreement to benefit the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa; but China's shot it'self in the foot and that one is inexhorable.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 55.81 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.79 mpg (US)
I used to be pro-biodiesel until I found that around here it is all a greedy scam. They monopolized it and purposely keep the price of biodiesel 10% higher than diesel, no matter what the price of diesel is. When diesel is cheap, they are 10% more. When diesel is through the roof and over $6 per gallon, they are still 10% higher. So about 80% to 100% markup. They are driven by greed the same as the diesel and the OPEC cartel.

The big biodiesel makers around here signed contracts with all the local restaurant chains to take their restaurant waste oil for next to nothing and then they drop off their own waste oil containers. They own the waste oil containers, so it is illegal for anyone else to remove the oil from them. This makes it very hard to get waste oil to brew your own biodiesel. It is also hard to get the raw biodiesel brewing materials since many of them are also used to make meth and are closely regulated.

I would love to make my own biodiesel and use it but it's just not worth the hassle. I am certainly not going to buy any from the biodiesel cartel suppliers.

Shouty Kilmer is all click bait. I refused to open any of his videos anymore, I seldom learn anything. He is all click bait and smoke and mirrors with stupid internet photos posted every 10 seconds. I doubt he has any real data to base all his outrageous click bait titles on. I don't think I have ever seen him do any real mechanic work on any of his videos.
306k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank
Old 11-06-2022, 10:49 PM   #60 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I've watched about 3 minutes of Shouty videos, which is 3 too many.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
JSH (11-08-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread