Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #681 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
From what I observed in Ireland, a polo is just a rebranded Golf with a smaller motor and less trim.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #682 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
From what I observed in Ireland, a polo is just a rebranded Golf with a smaller motor and less trim.
The Polo is one class size smaller than a Golf.

Looking at the 5 doors of each model the Polo is 9 inches shorter with a 3 inch shorter wheelbase. Width and height are very similar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-26-2021), Xist (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #683 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The body style has been varied through the life of the car, originally as a hatchback which derived from the Audi 50.[2] A sedan version was marketed as the Volkswagen Derby.
[snip]
The first Polo was effectively a rebadged version of the Audi 50 hatchback launched in August 1974.[2] The Audi 50 was discontinued in 1978 as Audi concentrated on larger luxury models. The Mk1 and Mk2 versions of the Polo were then standalone models in the Volkswagen range.

With the expansion of the Volkswagen Group: Audi (in the 1960s), SEAT (in the 1980s) and Škoda (in the 1990s) were acquired, and the platform used for the Polo was shared with other models.

The Polo shared its platform with the SEAT Ibiza Mk2.
The 2009 Polo Mk5 is developed on the latest platform, known as the PQ25, the same platform used in the SEAT Ibiza Mk4 that was launched in 2008 and[sic] the Audi A1.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Polo

The original New Beetle concept was built on the Polo platform, but in production it was 'Muricanized up-sized so It could be built on the same Puebla assembly line as the Golf. Worse for it IMHO.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:01 PM   #684 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The original New Beetle concept was built on the Polo platform, but in production it was 'Muricanized up-sized so It could be built on the same Puebla assembly line as the Golf. Worse for it IMHO.
VW tried to move it more upscale, while the Polo platform could eventually make it more effective as an attempt to replace the original Beetle retaining its affordability.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 11:33 PM   #685 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A missed opportunity. The Golf platform gave it a case of Prognathism

https://ranwhenparked.net/2014/12/11...the-concept-1/

Quote:
The Beetle’s air-cooled engine was innovative in the middle of the 20th century. The new model was equally ingenious because it was designed to use one of three power sources that accurately previewed the auto industry’s shift towards cleaner cars. Volkswagen warned that the drivetrains were still at the development stage so it couldn’t provide precise technical or performance specifications.

The first drivetrain paired a four-cylinder TDI turbodiesel engine with what Volkswagen called an Ecomatic transmission....

The second drivetrain was a diesel-electric hybrid consisting of a 68-horsepower three-cylinder diesel engine and a small electric motor....

The third and final drivetrain was an all-electric one centered around a Siemens AC induction motor rated at about 50 horsepower.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #686 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A missed opportunity. The Golf platform gave it a case of Prognathism

The concept pictured doesn't have a grill for a radiator. Add a radiator (sloped vertically enough to fit in front of the engine) and the hood needs to be taller.

I doubt a Polo sized bug would sell very well in the US market. Even the New Beetle as built on the Golf platform was cramped for 4 people with pretty limited rear headroom. The New Beetle got great mpg for the time. The 2000 TDI version was rated at 45 mpg combined when the typical car was getting 25.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:06 AM   #687 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Gotta say, I'm not surprised personally. I would never buy a Volkswagen, period, full stop. Helped work on two in the mid-2000's and what a joke. Proprietary everything, had to make 2 extra trips to the auto parts store to get adapters and sockets that you wouldn't need anywhere else to replace a CV joint and replace some brake pads. Not to mention the damn CV joint was like $275. You could buy a similar part for my Yaris sedan at the time for $80.

Windshield wipers? Yeah, those are proprietary (or were on that one anyway). It was a relatively-modern car at that time, too.

Buddy and I did an oil change, replaced the CV joint and boot, did brakes and windshield wipers (his sister's car) and it STILL cost her a fortune.

Not to mention the electrical issues that every VW owner I've ever known, without fail, has had to contend with. AND they have a high sticker price. AND they don't seem to be terribly competitive with Japanese cars.

My wife's 2015 Honda Fit breaks 40 miles per gallon without trying, cost us ~$17,000 brand new, and we've hauled a gym-sized elliptical, a table with 4 chairs, a treadmill, a refrigerator, two bicycles...

Show me a VW with that kind of utility, gas economy, and anywhere near that price point.

Matter of fact show me any car that can compete and still be considered a subcompact.

So, yeah. In America at least, I can't see VW ever making sense, and I really don't get the people who buy them on purpose. To me, it's like buying a Chevrolet. Why buy something less efficient, less utilitarian, and more expensive for what you get?

That's my rambling, nonsensical opinion anyway.

((Full disclosure though, I don't get the majority of the reasons most people do the things they do. I have never owned a car for less than 8 years, and aside from my wife's have never bought a car new. Your mileage may vary))

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The death of the VW Golf isn't surprising. Sales in USA:

2010 - 27,674
2011 - 34,706
2012 - 43,638
2013 - 30,930
2014 - 33,675
2015 - 65,308
2016 - 61,687
2017 - 68,978
2018 - 42,271
2019 - 37,393
2020 - 21,927

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White

Last edited by Flakbadger; 02-01-2021 at 02:18 AM..
Old 02-01-2021, 02:17 AM   #688 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
The Celiac Kid at the bakery bought a brand-new Volkswagen for his first car. He insisted that when you bought a used car you pay for a new car with the repairs.

I believe that all of my repairs for all of my cars over 20 years would have paid for one 2000 Civic, but I feel confident that if you buy a brand-new Volkswagen you pay for it all over again with repairs.

The Prius is salvage. That was very well when it was towed, although we don't know if it was towed before or since.

Often?

It doesn't seem like it has had an easy life, which doesn't make it a great candidate.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #689 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The concept pictured doesn't have a grill for a radiator. Add a radiator (sloped vertically enough to fit in front of the engine) and the hood needs to be taller.
Who knows to which extent it would be impossible to find another position for a radiator. Maybe sideways like it was fitted to the original Mini, or in some older Volkswagens once converted from air-cooled to water-cooled.

Quote:
I doubt a Polo sized bug would sell very well in the US market.
It would be quite unpredictable.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #690 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The New Beetle concept was to have three options, ICE, hybrid and full electric.

Quote:
I believe that all of my repairs for all of my cars over 20 years would have paid for one 2000 Civic, but I feel confident that if you buy a brand-new Volkswagen you pay for it all over again with repairs.

This was created out of a junkyard. 1957 body on a one year old (at the time) floorpan. Pic was after a front-end collision. Drove it for nine years.

This was purchased out of a farmer's field as shown, less the sunroof, stance, wheels and tires. I forget: mid-70s until 2000? Push-button doors on an oval window body. Complete with angle iron bumpers.

It was the least expensive option in the day. I sold the 38hp sunroof on when I got the notchback. If I had it today it would be a perfect donor for an EV conversion. Ready for another 65 years.

Nowadays I have survivors, Like the last two Superbeetles.

Last edited by freebeard; 02-08-2021 at 01:53 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread