Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Metro Xfi build thread (56k beware)

Hello everyone, I would like to first introduce myself. My name is Bob, and I recently purchased a 91 Metro Xfi. I was doing work for a customer, and I noticed he had a Metro 5 dr. I asked him if he knew of any for sale he told me "Yes I saw one today on way home from doctor's office, but I don't know if he is selling it." So I found out where it was and went to check it out.

When I left my name and number with the kids grandfather, he said it was not for sale. So I went home and wished he would call, about a week later he did leave a message. He said to get ahold of him ASAP. So I called and he needed money, $440 to be exact. I was there in 15 minutes and bought her up.

Here it is the day I bought it.

Since then I have been very busy on it.
I changed the oil to 5w30 synthetic, plugs, wires, airfilter, tranny synthetic, set timing @ 7 degs.

I also fixed dent in hood kinda, I am no body man. But can spray paint and Rhino linings. Which is where I work at a combination of Rhino Linings, RV dealership, Ambulance remounting, all in the same building. Also do all the wiring on the vehicles that come in. I am the shop manager so I stay busy, and spray some of the best Rhino there can be (not bragging a lot of experience in it 7 yrs.)

Hood after

I made Lexan light covers, a how-to I wrote here-->TeamSwift • View topic - Lexan headlight cover HOW-TO should work for any bucket style light.

Installed gauges air/fuel ratio and voltmeter. I have had these in 4 cars so far and had to modify the gauge pods yet 1 more time, not much left of it at this point.

Made a Grill block, had extra aluminum roof flashing laying around.

Made new shifter bushings from nylon bar stock on my Father's lathe. A how-to that I wrote on those--->TeamSwift • View topic - FIX: Shifter bushing. Blueprint

Made a EOC switch, and another how-to-->http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-how-4356.html

Pizza pan wheel covers, didn't want to spend big bucks for little gain.

Passenger mirror delete. Used bottom of lawn mower bagger for the black plastic, I am trying to use super cheap of free for everything I have done.

Also lowered the front about an inch and another how-to.TeamSwift • View topic - Found an easy way to lower Front

Before

After

I believe that is about it for now. Sorry for being so long but got a lot done in a couple weeks. This car is like Crack for a wrencher, so cheap and easy to work on. I keep thinking of new things to do everyday it seems like. And I love this site by the way.

Planned mods:
Rear wheel skirts just looking for free materials still, yea I am a cheapskate.
Front wheels skirts? maybe like Basjoos but different.
Air dam
wiper cowl
antenna delete I listen to cd's anyways
undertray/ diffuser
Some ideas?? suggestions I am a big boy I can take em.

Last edited by bbjsw10; 08-04-2008 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Title change
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
You are getting off to a great start already with that XFi man! Good for you! As far as the antenna goes, have you seen my antenna relocation thread..............

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-mod-2617.html

I love the lexan covers and I thought about lowering my Metro also. I think MetroMPG is also considering lowering his Firefly.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
You are getting off to a great start already with that XFi man! Good for you! As far as the antenna goes, have you seen my antenna relocation thread..............

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-mod-2617.html

I love the lexan covers and I thought about lowering my Metro also. I think MetroMPG is also considering lowering his Firefly.
That is great idea, I have a RV radio antenna laying at work mount is broke on it so junk for a camper but great to do that.
I think you and MetroMPG has about the cleanest looking metro's one here.
Great idea on the antenna though I am going to check that one out.

Last edited by bbjsw10; 07-27-2008 at 02:09 PM..
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

There are a couple of other clean Metro owners here besides me and MetroMPG, but yeah, the vast majority of these cars are pretty beat up. Looks like yours could use some rocker panel work before it gets too bad. Be sure to post all repairs and mods right here so we can follow up

Mine has dents in the front fenders that are small, but not bad. My hood is getting chipped up pretty good as of late since the township just tarred and chipped all the secondary routes around here.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted

Got some coroplast today found some at work a 4'x8' piece an old Leer sign we had stored away boss man gave it to me. Now gonna make some skirts and an airdam. I also picked up some 1/8"x1/2" aluminum flat stock to make the supports for skirts, had to buy that though.

Last edited by bbjsw10; 07-27-2008 at 02:09 PM..
Old 07-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted

I made an airdam from the coroplast I got at work today. I measured the lowest point on car which was lower a-arms @ 6" ground clearance. I made the airdam to sit at 5". Does this sound about right? I may also raise the middle of airdam into a slight taper up from outside edges, and build in tires "dams?" I also need to know how much should this help mileage, anyone?

I am new to modding for mileage I have done for speed power but not mileage, always the other way. I am addicted now. Only had car about 3 weeks and can't keep my hands off it, I just don't wanna do the wrong things. I have no instrumentation yet going to build the MPGuino one but saving pennies again for it.

Here is a couple pics of the airdam.

Last edited by bbjsw10; 07-19-2008 at 12:26 AM..
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
I made an airdam from the coroplast I got at work today. I measured the lowest point on car which was lower a-arms @ 6" ground clearance. I made the airdam to sit at 5". Does this sound about right?
People who know more than I do would say that's right.

Quote:
I have no instrumentation yet going to build the MPGuino one but saving pennies again for it.
The 'Guino should definitely be on the to-do list. I had a chance to see Ben's in action today.

The other thing I'd look into right away is making sure the lower control arm mounts are OK (rust wise), and if they are, oil them up so they stay that way.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-19-2008, 03:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Fantastic thread. Lots of ideas to "borrow". Keep it coming, thanks
Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

The airdam looks sweet.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted

MetroMPG, So I take it Ben's works good, I have been trying to figure out if they do before gettin one. I checked my a-arms/mounts too not too rusty yet, I may end up sandblasting underside when weather turns and drive my truck for a little while while I patch the body on the metro. Wanna save her from a horrible death.

Will, Go ahead borrow all you want that is part of the reason I am doing this, tired of threads with no pics. I find it alot easier to "see" what they are talking about.

Johnny, Thanks again I am going to trim it out a little today will upload new pics today sometime.