Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
It deserves a front page story, could save some lives, maybe even the tools own life. That's the kind of driver who almost killed me yesterday.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.1 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
My dad used to say that if you had to give a dime for every fool you meet on the road you'd be broke in no time. In other words, don't get caught up.
I sometimes feel the anger rise, then try to shrug it off as fast as possible. Nothing I can do will make the other change his views for the better.
IMHO the best way to reduce the number of fools on the road is to make sure you won't become one yourself...

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
elhigh (03-29-2014), j12piprius (03-29-2014), nemo (03-29-2014), niky (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper2460 View Post
Just another redneck guy in a truck, nothing to see here. That was pretty funny though and terrifying for the guy in the truck, he could have caused an accident, luckily he didn't though.
Right, he just barely missed a head on collision.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Recording it is one thing, posting up to social media for no other reason then to shame the guy is pretty much the definition of defamation.
It's not even remotely the definition, and no court in this land would hear the case.

Defamation

noun
the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another

The recording is a factual, unbiased account of events. Sharing video that was recorded in a public space is the right of every citizen (or should be in the few remaining areas that restrict it).

Sharing the events with the public is a useful tool for appropriately shaming the offending driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Broadcasting his name, address and phone number is very close to incitement to harassment. Technically, that may not be illegal, but your doing that shows retribution on a personal level as a motive. Even though the guy was reckless and he may be convicted for his illegal acts, his punishment should not be increased by inciting the public to harass him.

..."When determining the difference between simple rudeness and criminal harassment, authorities are likely to consider issues such as the attacker’s apparent intent, the frequency of the remarks or postings, evidence of premeditation or information gathering, whether others were encouraged to participate in these acts and whether remarks or attacks were directed specifically at the victim.
I agree that Frank's sharing of public information may be close to incitement to harassment, but not quite. Frank has wisely chosen to refrain from suggesting that anyone should act negatively towards Mr. White. His post contained only facts, with some humor thrown in for entertainment.

Had Frank actually incited harassment, I would be admonishing right along with you. Since that next step was never taken, I have nothing but congratulations for Frank.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (03-29-2014), niky (03-29-2014), UltArc (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #55 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Thanks Chuck, you can read the replies and pretty much get a good idea of the types of drivers that are posting, but if I gave any examples then people would scream prejudice.

regards
Mech
Out of curiosity I read the replies. The opinions were mixed, just as they are here. Just because someone drives a truck and lives in Florida does not mean that anyone who does must be a redneck or a reckless hothead. That's called stereotyping.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #56 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
She has also opened herself up to a defamation lawsuit.
SHE didn't post ANY of his identification info. Your postulate is ludicrous.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz
Broadcasting his name, address and phone number is very close to incitement to harassment. Technically, that may not be illegal, but your doing that shows retribution on a personal level as a motive. Even though the guy was reckless and he may be convicted for his illegal acts, his punishment should not be increased by inciting the public to harass him.

..."When determining the difference between simple rudeness and criminal harassment, authorities are likely to consider issues such as the attacker’s apparent intent, the frequency of the remarks or postings, evidence of premeditation or information gathering, whether others were encouraged to participate in these acts and whether remarks or attacks were directed specifically at the victim.
Crimea River. There are NEWS articles with the info I put up- that is where I got most of it.

You are always right there to defend speeders. What's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz
Out of curiosity I read the replies. The opinions were mixed, just as they are here. Just because someone drives a truck and lives in Florida does not mean that anyone who does must be a redneck or a reckless hothead. That's called stereotyping.
One of the replies stated he's known for this sort of thing; it ain't his "first trip around the block".

Last edited by Frank Lee; 03-29-2014 at 05:13 PM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
niky (03-29-2014), user removed (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #58 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Ps, I still stand by it's both of their fault. 99.9999% of cars pass each other every day without video and bird flipping. If you are a person doing either, you are doing something wrong.
I disagree.

Anyone wanting to place blame for the road rage must first thoroughly examine the circumstances that led to the action of the road rage. Frank has researched this as thoroughly as reasonably possible and concluded that it is appropriate to be in the left lane when making an upcoming left turn, especially when already exceeding the posted speed limit, which is a limit imposed assuming ideal conditions; slick roads requiring a reduced speed.

Regardless, people are responsible for their own feelings and especially their own actions. Even if the person in the left lane were doing half the speed limit, and we all agreed that she should move over, it is the responsibility of traffic behind her to manage emotions and to safely overtake the vehicle. Any disagreement with this is simply wrong.

The fault for the crash rests 100% on the shoulders of Mr. White. He demonstrated that a safe pass could be completed in the right lane, but choose to act out in anger, completing a second unsafe pass.

Feelings are always 100% the responsibility of the person doing the feeling. There is no action in the world that can make you feel a certain way and then force a reaction.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-29-2014 at 06:43 PM..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
elhigh (03-29-2014), Frank Lee (03-29-2014), RedDevil (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #59 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
It's not even remotely the definition, and no court in this land would hear the case.

Defamation

noun
the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another...
I agree that defamation is based upon relating a falsehood. Whereas in this case there is no basis for defamation because the recording of the incident is based upon truth, showing what happened.

However, if Mr. White were to suffer loss of reputation due to a harassment campaign, those who may have aided or abetted harassment could be liable for their part in promoting it.

Quote:
I agree that Frank's sharing of public information may be close to incitement to harassment, but not quite. Frank has wisely chosen to refrain from suggesting that anyone should act negatively towards Mr. White. His post contained only facts, with some humor thrown in for entertainment.
Yes, Frank has stopped short shy of it by just a hair. But seriously - do you honestly think that anyone is going to call up Mr. White to offer him sympathy?

Quote:
Had Frank actually incited harassment, I would be admonishing right along with you. Since that next step was never taken, I have nothing but congratulations for Frank.
Broadcasting his name address and phone number is providing opportunity for potential harassment of him. Why else would anyone want to contact Mr. White? The motive for broadcasting his information is one of retribution or revenge, based upon public outrage. There is an element of vigilantism in doing that.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Neither is vengeance a substitute for true justice.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #60 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz
But seriously - do you honestly think that anyone is going to call up Mr. White to offer him sympathy?
You aren't going to?

True justice would be driving by Mr. White- wherever he may be- and saluting him. But that's just too far away from here.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 03-29-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Closed Thread  Post New Thread