Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #111 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck. View Post
Really?

If she was truthful that the right-lane traffic was too much, than in conjunction with the rain justifies her driving - it was not to annoy him.
"IF". That all important little word... But we can never know how the situation began, can we?

Quote:
I've lost count of the times goons like in the video have tailgated and swerved off in a huff and didn't have it on camera.
Read my post about defensive driving. When that happens I let 'em go. At least you are more likely to return unharmed.

Quote:
I've seen posts like this before focusing on the picture taker. Like it or not, you are advocating people like Jeffery Travis White remain enabled to continue this behavior.
Apparently you didn't read my other post - the one where I said that IMO, his license should be revoked.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #112 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
...like right now.
If there were only one perspective, this wouldn't be an active thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #113 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Read my post about defensive driving. When that happens I let 'em go. At least you are more likely to return unharmed.
From a purely defensive driver perspective, yah get out of the way. But that leads to left lane bullies if nobody ever stands up for themselves too.

Quote:
Apparently you didn't read my other post - the one where I said that IMO, his license should be revoked.
And thanks to this drivers presence of mind and refusal to be intimidated by his bullying, hopefully it now will be. Give her a medal, don't impute "incorrect handling" from a myopic defensive driver only perspective.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #114 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
"IF". That all important little word... But we can never know how the situation began, can we?

What I do know is myself and many others go about their business and did nothing to provoke low lifes like Jeffery Travis White who do this all the time...so why are you assuming "Florida Driver" brought it on? Law enforcement is not dealing with road ragers and when a driver documents one on a video crashing, you focus on her instead of the perp who's had a history of being a hothead.

Like many others, I find blaming the victim really twisted. Saying you think Mr White needs his licence pulled is meaningless if you oppose identifying him with the only means available.

Last edited by Chuck.; 03-31-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #115 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
If there were only one perspective, this wouldn't be an active thread.
Our perspectives carry no weight. The only perspectives with any weight in the matter are the drivers of the two vehicles and local law enforcement. That's it. Anything else is commentary.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Chuck. (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #116 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck. View Post
What I do know is myself and many others go about their business and did nothing to provoke low lifes like Jeffery Travis White who do this all the time...so why are you assuming "Florida Driver" brought it on?
I had said: But we can never know how the situation began, can we?

That's not assuming anything. One thing is certain, however. There was some interaction between these two drivers, even if it were only their lane positions, speed and other factors relative to their sharing the same road. If there wasn't any interaction, she wouldn't have started recording it, right?

Quote:
Law enforcement is not dealing with road ragers and when a driver documents one on a video crashing, you focus on her instead of the perp who's had a history of being a hothead.
No, I'm focusing on both of them, because undeiably, both were involved in the situation.

Quote:
Like many others, I find blaming the victim really twisted. Saying you think Mr White needs his licence pulled is meaningless if you oppose identifying him with the only means available.
She isn't a "victim" and no one is blaming her. Since you are playing the straw man tactic and keep harping on this, I'll say it again. I'd like to see his license revoked - permanently. If he were to lose his license and he were to continue driving he should be incarcerated. So don't imply that I'm defending him or sympathetic to him in any way.

Reckless drivers are a danger to everyone on the road. Recording them, harassing them or being outraged about them solves nothing. If the court were to have zero tolerance for recklessness and stop people like this from endangering the public, that WILL produce a beneficial result.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #117 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pretty much that.

I understand where XYZ is coming from. I promote defensive driving and tactical driving, and when I've given talks on fuel saving, it's part and par for the course. Road safety involves putting as much space between yourself and other road users as possible. The most dangerous situation is when you're boxed in and in close contact with other cars, whether they're ahead of you, beside you or behind you. Thus, tactical driving sometimes involves moving over or leaving a lot of room for idiots like that guy.

This is not to say that the woman had the time or opportunity for that, but if she did, she should have taken it.

And this is not to say you shouldn't be assertive. Communicating in no uncertain terms to other drivers that this is where you're going and this is the lane you're taking (if you're in the lane to turn left, throw on your indicator) means that other drivers can better predict your behaviour and can adapt to you.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #118 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
We don't know squat about the interaction beforehand, it is irrelevant. The dude is operating 2 tons of equipment like an angry monkey, and the video will only help prove that.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #119 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Angry

Jesus Christ, this is exactly what Darin ask yall to avoid. Someone should just lock this thread as it isnt going anywhere and driving away new people.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #120 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Wow, I read the first post, watched the video and missed the rest of the party!

Too many statements verging on personal insults in here. Time for a time out.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Cobb (03-31-2014), elhigh (04-01-2014), Fat Charlie (04-01-2014), pgfpro (03-31-2014), Xist (04-01-2014)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread