Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
This is what you honestly expect us to believe they experienced?
On my worst day of holding back traffic ( doing the speed limit ) the worst I have ever experienced is the "professional" truck drivers pushing me (literally feet away) and then passing while giving the one finger salute, and then the finale .. cutting me off while they get back into the "slower traffic keep right lane"
Mostly its the professionals that give me cause for concern, the average driver happily follows someone doing the limit or slower as they are usually multi tasking anyway.
If we all lived in Canada that might be true. Canadians are a very polite people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I wonder how much gas is wasted from people driving full size pickups 85mph everywhere they go.
Who cares, they're paying for it. They're not out there wasting other people's time and fuel.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Surprised no one else has mentioned... the 39mph avg is just that... an average. The article didn't really mention the routes or what exactly was meant by "driving no more than 14 hours a day", but I would not assume they got in the car in the morning, accelerated instantly to 39mph and then kept the speed constant for the next 14 hours til they stopped (instantly). I would guess they did not take freeways (straightest, fastest route is only ~1400 miles, not ~1630 miles according to Google maps) and that the 'driving time' included some rest stops / food stops along the way. I'm sure they didn't do 70mph, and they probably did drive relatively slow (45? 50?) most of the way, but it was probably within a reasonable range of the roads they were on.

Heck, I did ~2000 miles traveling 65 - 70mph and got 60mpg average... not all that hard in a Diesel. I just would have a tough time doing ~1600 miles on a tank since my tank is 3 gals less...
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Johnny 5 - '81 Honda Cm400e
90 day: 42.86 mpg (US)

Da bike - '06 Honda Shadow Vlx deluxe
90 day: 59.47 mpg (US)
My trip to work(one way 65miles) with highs usually 66-70mph. My trip average was always 40-45 mph no matter how I drove it seemed. That was with my scan gauge. But even on the bike with just a clock it always takes me 1 hr 20 to 1 hr 35 minutes to get to work or home.

So if they took the two lanes roads and through some state where the speed limit is 55 mph on the highway. I can see this average. All about route planning.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
From the link in Diesel_Dave's post:
Quote:
they kept the six-speed manual transmission in top gear as often as possible, typically cruised at 60 mph and only used the air conditioning twice during the trip
I suspect that the speed was set to stay in the engine's BSFC sweetspot. Yet with an average speed of 39mph, they must have spent a lot of time going slower than 60mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
I just would have a tough time doing ~1600 miles on a tank since my tank is 3 gals less...
Reminds me of when I told someone I'd done 1700km on a single tank, and he said he's done 1500km. He drives the same model, only larger engine. This got me interested until I found out that his model has the 70 liter tank. Mine has the 59 liter tank and I could sqeeze in 63 liters, so he could probably get another 4-5 liters too.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I suspect that the speed was set to stay in the engine's BSFC sweetspot. Yet with an average speed of 39mph, they must have spent a lot of time going slower than 60mph.
Absolutely.
A 65mph CC setting over long distance (>300miles) gave me 57 (with traffic jam) and 60 mph averages.

If I could do 52mph for this kind of distance, I'd go below 4L/100km (over 59mpg).

I have a very hard time believing 84mpg / 2.800 L/100km out of an unmodified vehicle this size and weight, with the 2.0L TDI.
Definitely won't happen @ 60mph.

Remember, Vekke is already pushing things to get below 3L in a car half the size.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
They're not out there wasting other people's time and fuel.
They're wasting everybody's fuel.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Most of my Fiesta tanks average right at 38 MPH speed. When they talk about 14 hours a day behind the wheel, it's an assumption to include any stops in that time, since the stops are not "behind the wheel.
Take the older US routes (at least here) and traffic volume is much less than the Interstates. It would be relevant to see their route map. I'll bet they used the Interstates to get around congested areas and mainly used the older US routes (non interstate) for the vast majority of their trip.
Highway speeds? 40-50 MPH depending on the best BSFC speed in top gear, versus lowest aero drag.

regards
Mech
Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
They're wasting everybody's fuel.
And driving prices up through increased demand.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
When they talk about 14 hours a day behind the wheel, it's an assumption to include any stops in that time, since the stops are not "behind the wheel.
Agreed... and the data is conflicting... the "distance vs time" data provided yields 39mph while the statement Piwoslaw noted (from Diesel_Dave's link) says
Quote:
they kept the six-speed manual transmission in top gear as often as possible, typically cruised at 60 mph
The truth is probably somewhere in between.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Let's not forget about another fact from that article:
Quote:
The couple’s feat was sponsored by VW
I doubt that Volkswagen's help was limited to supplying the car, fuel and VW t-shirts. Let us also remember that this record run was made public only after it happened. So, no by-standers to see how close the Passat was drafting the truck that VW had previously rented*.

To their credit, the drivers were champion hypermilers. While it is possible, I'm sceptical as to anyone being able to pull off such a feat with the following parameters:
  • Stock car, not the lightest nor most aerodynamic,
  • 39 mph average,
  • CC set to 60 mph,
  • Driving for 3 days with breaks (= engine cooling off),
  • Obeying all laws.

Ecomodder Groar had some mighty nice numbers on his Megane. Even though he:
  • Had a car which was much lighter and probably had smaller FA than the Passat,
  • Had smooth wheel covers, grille blocks, Kammback, trunk lid extension, rear skirts and front semi-skirts,
  • Drove mostly highway,
  • EOC'ed quite often,
still didn't have a tank average higher than 78 mpg.

*) I'm not claiming that this is the case, but it is a possibility that can't be ruled out at my present state of knowledge.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Reply  Post New Thread