Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzer View Post
Honda Innova 125 or Suzuki Adress?
We don't get these offered in the USA.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Jetta - '00 VW Jetta

Black Jetta - '15 VW Jetta TDI

Blue Golf - '14 VW Golf TDI

98 Jetta - '98 VW Jetta TDI

Zero - '13 Zero S
Quote:
Originally Posted by com3 View Post
I shot the 2015 press launch for zero... They're pretty fun bikes! I've spent a lot of time on the brammo as well...I'm a huge fan of the empulse.

Regarding the zero tho, I left zero hq on the fx with 100% charge..I put 14.7 HARD tight, twisty miles on it (wheelies, backing it into corners, that kinda stuff ) and ended up with 37% battery life remaining.
The Empulse LOOKS like an electric bike should. I've been asked on the road "How many CC's?" because the Zero can pass as a conventional look. So of course I shopping for "100% ELECTRIC" bumper stickers.

I do like how tall and light the FX rides - I did not get it off road - only the streets around the Zero plant. With the Single 3.3 kWh battery - your range seems about correct. If you had it full 6.5kWh you did ride very hard.

My 2013 S has 11.4 kWh battery - so I can 'ride it like i stole it' and get half the expected range. Or I can ride like the old man I am and get pretty close to manufacturers estimates.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SUV - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 42.92 mpg (US)
Thumbs up Small efficiency retro motorcycle recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
The Suzuki TU250 gets good reviews for mpg and comfort.
I second that. The TU fits the aesthetic you wanted, has the advantage of being fuel injected (which for me is huge), a disk break, and dealer support.
I've never driven one on a highway, but those who have say that highway speeds are entirely possible, though not really the intended environment of the bike.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
I've owned a 2000 KLR 650 good bike 45-50 mpg 20,000 miles later sold to get a 2001 FZ1 1000, 45 mpg, tires cost more than fuel per mile. 20,000 miles later sold and got a 93 zx600e, really liked that bike, sold it and bought it back even though 2nd gear didn't work. Traded it to a Ninja 250, hated it. Sold it got a 1999 Concours ZG1000 30,000 miles later sold it cause I wasn't riding it enough to justify keeping it.

My best/smartest/most researched choice was the first one with the KLR, though the first generation FZ1 was and still is a great bike as a toy, not money saver.

Should have stuck with the KLR and still have it parked in the garage for weekend rides. My garage now has lawnmowers.

Dual sports are great for weekend exploring as well as taking the long detour after work. One night when wife and kids were away I took a 200 mile detour on the KLR. But could still do a 400 mile day with minimal discomfort.
As I read through all this comments, I have to agree with this one. I own a 2009 KLR650, I get 47 to 50 MPG all the time, not some of the time all the time, it has a top speed of about 90MPH (Don't ask me how I know this =) ) it is great for all weather riding and as he states a nice weekend get away or night cruise. It is a great all around bike, buy a used one for $1500.00 to $4500.00, tires, maintenance and insurance cheap along with tags and taxes. I have ridden mine now for 4 year just about year round, yes even in below 32degrees, you will need to change the oil and use a 0/20 wt oil. So for the best bang for your buck this is a great buy and ride. Just my 2¢

Doc.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

To the OP: what are your main objectives? If it's cost savings, then owning a motorcycle is not going to help you with such a short commute.

If you want a motorcycle for the fun - then okay.

Converting a cheap bicycle to electric with used parts from endless-sphere.com or locally off craigslist would be the most economical. It can be done for under $500 and is not as difficult as most think. Maybe there is a safe way to get to work by bike that isn't as long - think about using sidewalks if legal and safe. Just know that you are invisible on a sidewalk.

It's hard to really offer good advice without knowing what you really want from this.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Just picked up a new job closer to home and once I start I'll have a 4 miles commute to work.,
4 miles? what you want is one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle
Seriously, 4 miles is walking distance. If you have stupid steep hills in your area
Go electric assist, no rego, no insurance, 45c in electricty per year.
Lots of info out there, Stomer, Pedago, and Blacktrail (for those with too much money.)
Easy Motion Evo Race Review - ElectricBikeReview.com
The Most Popular Electric City & Hybrid Bicycles
Old 11-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In NJ and PA you can motorize a bicycle and ride up to 25 mph on some roads. A fully streamlined bicycle will go just as fast. The only thing about the interstate route is on a windy day bridges may be where you get the strongest cross winds.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'd advise taking an honest try with a bicycle. Sometimes you can find back ways and short cuts that aren't immediately obvious. But of course there are times and places bikes just won't work. I once bicycled to work with an easy commute, but lived where the last 100 yards to my apartment were hair-raising...

Using a bicycle on the way back home can also have the advantage of soothing your nerves from a frustrating day at work. This factor should not be under-appreciated.

As to motorcycles you can hardly go wrong with an older 250 Ninja, to start. The dual-sports are worth looking at too although they seem to hold their price even when they get old; you probably won't find a deal on them. I have a 2003 Kawasaki Super Sherpa and I like it.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'd bicycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Four miles. Any good off-interstate route? I'd bicycle it. Or use any old moped/scooter; that is the most likely way to get 100 mpg, although the top Vetter mileage contestants can also show the way. Also, as one who goes 50-55 even on 70 mph interstates, I couldn't care less about going 70. They can get used to it or pass.
This is what I consider to be the best advice so far (I just started reading the thread). Another is a power assisted bicycle. I know the A2B electric bicycles are amongst the best, and think that you could get one for $3000. You could even consider a gasoline assist, the best that I have tried was an old Trek 820 or 850 with a Sachs gasoline motor/hub/wheel assembly. I haven't seen ay of those recently, but it was near perfect and had plenty of snap up until the imposed 30 kph speed limit her (Canada). I rode this for an afternoon in the dead of winter (-25 C), but with clean streets. IT was a blast. Nice thing about anything like this is that you can often ride on a highway shoulder at a constant speed with no blockages.

There are plenty of retro-fit packages for both gas and electric assist (but fully capable for driving only using the power plant and no pedalling.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Jetta - '00 VW Jetta

Black Jetta - '15 VW Jetta TDI

Blue Golf - '14 VW Golf TDI

98 Jetta - '98 VW Jetta TDI

Zero - '13 Zero S
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
An electric bike would be top priority but I'm not sure if the new job will have a place to charge it. I can't charge it in my apartment complex lot because of no outside receptacles; extension cord out the window is not an option as my apartment does not face the parking lot and is up on the second level.
The Zero FX has a removable battery. (actually it holds up to 2)
A couple Electric Mopeds I know of use removable batteries.
Most of the electric bicycles' batteries are removable.

So those would charge inside the apartment. Plus with the battery being nearly the most valuable part, you'll sleep easier.

Most won't need to charge at work - as can make the round trip. I "could" charge at work but my commute is only 50 miles round trip and my range is an easy 70-80. I got home today with 39% charge remaining without dipping into the charger at my parking lot.

Reply  Post New Thread