Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Note:
If you buy the $18 ELM knock off from Ebay like I did, the documentation is wrong. A little web searching shows the bluetooth passkey is 6789.

After that it works fine. Lots of choices. The MPG seems accurate for the last tank.
Found that doing 60 or 70 is better than 65MPH. Must be an engine curve thing.
Also learned around 35 is a bad spot for FE, whoda thunk it? Maybe high RPM without lockup?

Thanks for telling us about this. Really nice screen. Way better than a scan gauge.
Reads DTC as well. Looks like my bank 1 O2 sensor 2 is going. The fuel trim is way off the others. Bet replacing it pays for the adapter in a month.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonG For This Useful Post:
dcb (07-05-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Sierra - '96 GMC Sierra
90 day: 20.89 mpg (US)

White Lightning - '10 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
90 day: 27.18 mpg (US)
Got mine in and took it for a spin on the way to work. A 130 mile trip. Seemed kinda weird at times, showing my truck was doing 30-40 mpg in 35-45 mph zones. But seemed to average out once I accelerated from a redlight or something. Will have to wait to next fill-up to actually test the accuracy of it.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
Thx for the review, I've downloaded the app just have to wait for the bluetooth adapter to come in!

If someone would like the full version pm me your email, I'll send it to you!

Last edited by morphector; 06-12-2011 at 06:15 PM..
Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
The adapter came in yesterday.

That app is really great. Hope that my mpg will get up with that!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Sadly, I've replaced Torque. Everything good I've ever said about it still stands and I really miss it, but it's not the best thing for my needs. The biggest problem for Torque is that my commute is so long and the bluetooth draws so much power. If I forget to disable bluetooth or don't exit Torque properly when I get to work then my phone's going to run out of juice by the time I'm halfway home. I can't effectively hardwire my phone to the car because it's my phone- I need to take it with me and sometimes I get calls when I'm in the car. The other main problem is the connectivity. Sometimes it takes a while for everything to get on the same page, and EOC without a kill switch breaks the connection. Some days Torque was up less than half the time.

None of this is Torque's fault. I'll bet I could smooth out the connection issues by configuring the protocol and getting that kill switch done, but I can't fix the large amount of time that my phone is tied up. I got an Ultra Gauge, which is better suited to my commuting needs, but every time I look at it I get a twinge of regret that I'm not looking at Torque's pretty display. That thing just looks great, and having actual gauges makes it easier to read out of the corner of your eye than a screen full of numbers.

I'm not getting rid of it, though. I have to figure out the logging and I expect it to do quite well for studying snapshots of my driving and testing mods. It's going to be perfect for displaying the A-B-C coastdown tests of my roof top box, for one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I was in on the development of torque as a tester. I use an 7" eBay LCD connected to my LG Revolution via the HDMI cable in my Fit with Torque. I have the LCD velcroed to the dash with a cardboard bracket to hold it upright. I don't experience any "Cutouts" during my 153 mile commute every day. One of these days I'm going to recess it into the dash.

Torque also still works on my not activated Droid 1. I discovered this before I got the LCD. So when you update your Droid, don't retire the old one, it will still have many functions via WiFi and Bluetooth. I use the old one with IonRoad now via the WiFi access point from my Revolution. A fella could acquire several retired droids and setup a complete digital dash. There are a ton of apps that still work on the old one.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I found Car Home (and bought Car Home Pro) and use it in the car as a "mini launcher" with 3 screens of 6 applications each.

It has options to start bluetooth and stop bluetooth when you exit the app.

So far it works great, as I use bluetooth to connect to my handsfree kit. I just launch "car home" manually when I get in my car (home screen icon) and set Android to use it as the "Car" application, so it goes to "car home" when I press "home".

I do an "options" exit as I get out of the car, to exit Car home and end "car mode". Bluetooth turns off reliably at that point. When running Torque, you'd have to exit or press home to get to Car home, and then exit car home. But the big 6 button home screen will remind you to exit. I also set it to keep my screen "on". I do plug in a charger while in the car.

[QUOTE=Fat Charlie;254597]Sadly, I've replaced Torque. If I forget to disable bluetooth or don't exit Torque properly when I get to work then my phone's going to run out of juice by the time I'm halfway home.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Transient

Commuter Plus - '98 Saturn SW2
Last 3: 37.12 mpg (US)

Rover - '07 Land Rover LR3 HSE
Last 3: 17.6 mpg (US)

Blackie - '16 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback
90 day: 33.25 mpg (US)

Bertha - '11 Four Winds Chateau 31a
90 day: 7.79 mpg (US)

Van - '15 Honda Odyssey EX
I have been considering Torque but wanted to ask, can you still use a Bluetooth headset while using the BT for the car data?

Maybe its an obvious 'no', but I know a lot of headset now can be connected to multiple devices and it would make sense for a smart phone to be able to connect multiple devices.

Just wanted to know before I commited to the product.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Kia Optima - '04 Kia Optima EXv6
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
I suppose I got lucky when I bought the super cheap adapter for $3 on ebay....it works fine on my 2004 kia optima. As far as Torque app is concerned I have no complaints. Heck I have a scanner now for $8.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I'd think the number of bluetooth connections you can have at once depends on your phone or OS. I've never tried it or even heard the question asked- but it does make sense, wanting to use your phone as a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
android, app, phone, review, torque