Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2024, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,836 Times in 7,292 Posts
Trick hub motor

All that and ...but wait there's more.

Regen integrated invisibly into the braking system. If the battery is full or missing, the disk brake takes the heat. No backpedal regen though.

This brings to mind the Arcimoto MLM (Mean Lean Machine). The company was brought down by stock market shenanigans, but they were developing a four-motor, three wheel drive tilting tricycle. That's a lot of motors. Two with regen hubs and one for the pedals seems adequate? The tilting part is replicable and important to avoid a wide front track.

I'd imagine an ellipsoid body with large front wheels and a small rear wheel on a variable wheelbase. It would stand upright to maneuver and for ingress/egress; and then lay back for less frontal area at speed.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2024, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,171 Times in 1,033 Posts
Perm magnets? How do you get regen without a battery or controller otherwise?
Old 08-23-2024, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Should have asked me then. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

I rewatched a few seconds. It strikes me as an electric bike with one additional mechanical mechanism, to let the brake lever control a clutch.

Old 08-26-2024, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Actually watched video. Doesn't regen without battery, uses brake since there is no load to dump power into assuming there was residual magnetism to start generation process Afaics, the only advantage is the freewheel aspect which I am not impressed with. Needs another lever to fiddle with.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,489 Posts
Makes me wonder to which extent this setup could enable something similar to EOC/neutral coasting.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Disconnecting the coasting compression drag would improve coasting somewhat but not more than shifting into neutral, something bikes don't have.

The advantage would be a faster reingagement than hitting clutch pedal or matching rev, would be a simple switch on the gas pedal
Old 08-28-2024, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As an engineering tech and an old slot car racer I am familiar with several types of motors. First motors do well in colder temps, opposite of the batteries. A series wound motor would have max torque at start. Motor torque is a function of amps and number of wind loops. Dynamic braking occurs in a spinning motor when there is a bus between the ends of the armature loops. A field wind motor would have less drag than a permanent magnet motor with no current applied.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's acting as a motor/generator. Still, more to the point than compression drag and gas pedals.

Old 09-01-2024, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Disconnecting the coasting compression drag would improve coasting somewhat but not more than shifting into neutral, something bikes don't have.
Bikes may lack a clutch, but they have a freewheeling mechanism.
Old 09-03-2024, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Hub motors in this application are Permanent Magnet (PM) motors using powerful Neodymium magnets
That means that when you try to coast a hub motored E-bike the hysteresis and eddy currents in the motor laminates cause drag and it's feels like trying to coast a normal car with the handbrake up.
That's even before regen is activated.

Important:
NOTHING is as efficient as coasting. Ask any hyper-miler. Regen does not even come close.
ie: No coasting = no efficiency.

What this idea does is allow this very efficient coasting
AND
The very normal use of the brake pedal/handle that you/I/everyione is used to.
ie: Intuitive/no-brainer braking as usual.
But
Activating the brake pedal/handle first activates regen and then activates normal friction braking in a completely seamless process that's completely transparent to the driver/rider.
ie:
Your grandma, used to her dear old automatic, would happily drive around in her car, newly fitted with this system, completely oblivious to the complex mix of regen and old slyle friction braking going on 'under the hood', with NO COMPUTER in sight...
That = 100% public acceptance with 100% dependability..!

The system is brilliant!
As in when you get it; 'the light-bulb comes on' with such brilliance you are left reeling with a gobsmacked 'Why dint I think of that!?' smile on your face.

There are those who just wont ever 'get it' no matter how many times they watch those planetary gears spinning or not. (the video)
My sincere condolences to them.
I know that there are different types of intelligence.
(I for instance have no idea what tact is and will inadvertently (or not) piss most people off in short order)
But the whole 'light bulb moment' caused by 'getting' inventions like this is priceless and it's a real shame (to me) to see people miss them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Logic For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-03-2024)
Reply  Post New Thread