Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Even under the hood, engineers don't get the final say. See my sig.

This could work properly only if the setup was designed to allow bypass of exhaust gasses when there is an obvious pressure rise, and a CVT pulley to allow the alternator (which, at this point, should be a permanent magnet generator, not an alternator) to constanly spin at it's most efficient RPM, regardless of load and input speed.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thank you christ and everyone else fixed mag generator could work yes i see all the other views but ive got enough machine shop access time to go get a junkyard turbo and start tinkering. for sure it would have to geared down to be productive.

time to bust out the autocad again
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Keep us posted on your results. I'd love to be proven wrong and see you come away with a real winner here.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Results?

So no one has posted here for a while and i would like to add my 2 cents. Turbochargers produce quite a bit of power, I've seen on turbo forums that at the point of turbos start to spool, the turbine is probably making ~10hp w/ top speed of maybe 100k rpm, 150 tops.

This idea would be nice if we added it to a Prius' HV battery, permenant magnet generators fast they spin the more voltage. The turbo would have to be sized very small though opposed to traditional turbo sizing, since exhaust volume will be normal and not boosted. So im thinking like t12 or t06 garrett size (I;m thinking T06 for my 2013 Prius, plus the Prius has an atkinson engine cycle (less exhaust energy then normal)), with the max output near the max output of whatever car it will be installed on.

Exhaust back pressure is bad, but of course its all engineered together in harmony. The valve over lap is adjusted to get good scavaging, but not too much as that would send fuel/air mix into the exhaust. Thats why you would get reduced mpg with a free flowing exhaust. A retune or readjustment of the valve overlap would be needed to get improved power and mpg's.

But getting an alternator or generator to spin that fast would be very hard and need quite a bit of engineering, or we could use pulleys... 6 or 7 to 1 ratio get that maybe 50k rpm down to something nice an alternator can use.

At the very least Formula 1 2014 are (or is?) using electric turbo-compounding and VanDyne is making SuperTurbos albeit for 18-wheelers.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
The free power in the exhaust comes from the pulses, which you need a very unrestricted turbine to capture efficiently. Turbochargers by design create some restriction, which is intended to allow the pumping action of the engine to power the turbine. This is so that you actually get boost in a reasonable amount of time.

You can definitely turbocompound a car engine, the problem is that car engines run at low loads. Plane engines run at high loads which is why they're very effective there. The turbogenerator would only make small amounts of power when you're really on the gas, and I don't think it's really worth the cost and effort. On a car that's already turbocharged, if you use a larger turbine housing you get something to the same effect; less restriction and more efficiency, but boost would come on slower, and you would end up with less boost at lower engine speed.

Reply  Post New Thread