Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #261 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hyosung - '07 Hyosung gt250r
90 day: 55.49 mpg (US)

Burgman - '07 Burgman 650 k7
To all the Bay Area readers. The Maker Faire is this weekend in San Mateo.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #262 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
Short of complete enclosure I think a fairing section directly behind your helmet would help a lot, it appears to be turbulence around the helmet that is a primary cause of helmet noise.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:57 AM   #263 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

How is everyone sealing the tail/front cone? Anyone have any ideas how to make a light door which seals itself.
I am trying to make a semi-pressurized cabin to enable high speed runs.

Progress is coming along nicely (pic below). Anyone in the Bay Area want to ride on Memorial Day?

The tail takes a beating from the side wind. What is everyone doing about this? Will it go away once it is fully sealed?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #264 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ZForce - '13 Zero motorcycles S ZF11.4
For side winds put weight up front.
Last Vetter Fairing - Fuel Economy -Chap 16

Also most are doing open cockpits not closed. I only know of two that have done a closed cockpit. One fell over at speed, the other doesn't go fast ^_^
Old 05-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #265 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
For side winds put weight up front.
Last Vetter Fairing - Fuel Economy -Chap 16

Also most are doing open cockpits not closed. I only know of two that have done a closed cockpit. One fell over at speed, the other doesn't go fast ^_^
There is no way this 600lb beast is coming down. Fully enclosing the cockpit significantly reduces the Cd value assuming it is sealed. The Burgman is already split into 2 compartments which lends itself to being fully sealed.

You definitely need to enclose or cover your Zero due to large amounts of rain you receive in Virginia. When I was there last month it felt like a tropical forest compared to our CA drought.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #266 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

"How is everyone sealing the tail/front cone?"

a cheap easy way is to use 3m epoxy 08115 for panel bonding
actually rivets and some silicone gutter caulk would be cheaper
Old 05-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #267 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-miler View Post
There is no way this 600lb beast is coming down. Fully enclosing the cockpit significantly reduces the Cd value assuming it is sealed. The Burgman is already split into 2 compartments which lends itself to being fully sealed.
Didn't realize what you were working on and I didn't realize it weighs 600lbs. I have no experience with larger bikes / scooters of this size and my ninja weighs only 350+luggage and my zero is bellow factor weight right now.

Quote:
You definitely need to enclose or cover your Zero due to large amounts of rain you receive in Virginia. When I was there last month it felt like a tropical forest compared to our CA drought.
We do get a lot of rain but I don't need to cover the zero. My outer shell will get wet but I stay dry. Zero Motorcycles has video of these things running through river crossings so I am not too concerned about a little rain. That stated all electrical connections get dielectric grease and I wouldn't ever be doing a river crossing

I am curious as to why you think the side winds will be reduced when the tail is sealed. Do you have any other projects or sources you can point to which gave you this idea?

I plan on making my tail as vetter states but I also plan on making another tail out of composites to get a better shape and compare the two. Vetter's tail will likely be lighter and longer, while the composite will be shorter and heavier but have the ideal shape. So far my only concern is making the luggage compartment water tight.

Do you have more pictures of your project or a blog I could look at?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #268 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Didn't realize what you were working on and I didn't realize it weighs 600lbs. I have no experience with larger bikes / scooters of this size and my ninja weighs only 350+luggage and my zero is bellow factor weight right now.

We do get a lot of rain but I don't need to cover the zero. My outer shell will get wet but I stay dry. Zero Motorcycles has video of these things running through river crossings so I am not too concerned about a little rain. That stated all electrical connections get dielectric grease and I wouldn't ever be doing a river crossing
Fully enclosing it will not only will keep you dry, but will also get rid of most of the turbulence that will get very scary when riding over water especially since you are using a lighter bike. Craig and the rest of us in Ca don't have to design that into it.
Quote:
I am curious as to why you think the side winds will be reduced when the tail is sealed. Do you have any other projects or sources you can point to which gave you this idea?
The tail moving from side to side is due to both the side winds and the turbulence created by the cabin not being sealed especially as the speed is increased. My reasoning comes from vibrations. If you vibrate an object (headwind and turbulence) then another source(side winds) vibrates it further the amplitudes will add up-multiplying the forces required to keep it still. I am testing it with every addition I make until the point of failure to figure out exactly where that is.
I test it in a canyon with 30+mph winds going up a 10-15% grade I live near by at 50-70mph. 50-55mph is the only manageable speed without getting violent shaking. Now most of our riding is on dry surfaces while yours will be partially on wet less friction surfaces, so you want as little turbulence as possible, thus fully enclosing it.
Quote:
I plan on making my tail as vetter states but I also plan on making another tail out of composites to get a better shape and compare the two. Vetter's tail will likely be lighter and longer, while the composite will be shorter and heavier but have the ideal shape. So far my only concern is making the luggage compartment water tight.

Do you have more pictures of your project or a blog I could look at?
Use the same concept as roof shingle installation when putting the aluminum/composite together. Put the lower piece completely underneath the upper piece, and than put waterproof caulking in between. I will put a build thread for the cabin enclosure, and nose cone. Anyone have any ideas on what I should use for the door. Plexiglass/polycarbonate? Seal with "car door rubber"? Also does anyone know of a door knob I could hit with my knee to open. No electrics b/c I want fail-proof.

Last edited by hyper-miler; 05-27-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Old 05-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #269 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas on what I should use for the door. Plexiglass/polycarbonate? Seal with "car door rubber"? Also does anyone know of a door knob I could hit with my knee to open. No electrics b/c I want fail-proof.
How about a spring loaded door to close it and magnetic stops to hold it closed. Sure, some sort of rubber seals would be a good idea.
That should be easy enough to open with a quick push yet strong enough to hold it closed while enroute. The spring closure/hinge could be arranged so that the door would stay open when fully opened but would want to close itself once the door got past a certain point.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #270 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

janvos39 is the only person I know who has done a burgman vetterish build. You can search for him on the forum sure he has experienced what you are now and might be able to shed some insight.

That stated do you have any side profile pictures of your beastly machine?

We can figure out the center of pressure and we can see if center of gravity is behind the center of pressure. ^_^

Last edited by Burton; 05-27-2014 at 08:22 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread