Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #151 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The company I worked for was the industrial arm of a huge automotive/on-highway cooling system company, so we took as much as we could from the truck guys. So yes, we used aluminum tube and fin (normal automotive) construction and also another construction called bar and plate used mostly for air to water CAC's, military coolers and high pressure applications.

I found a simulation I did using a 1.5" deep core with a 12 fin per inch louvered fin. You get ~175 Pa pressure drop at 4.5 m/s air velocity. With a 1.25" you get ~175 Pa with 5 m/s air velocity.

Thats about all I can't really answer your question about face velocity because I never looked at it. Most of our applications were either stationary or didn't move fast enough for ram air, we were always concerned about mass flow and core pressure drop (yes, related to velocity, but we never looked at that number). You were given a space claim and heat rejection target and the challenge was to find a fan that could move the required mass flow through the cooler(s). We also used mostly non-louvered fins (louvered is all they use in the automotive world) to prevent clogging and reduced pressure drop with extremely deep coolers (4 inch deep core was tiny).

I know some manufactures will give you some data on their coolers. As an FSAE team they would sometimes provide a rough datasheet on the cooler performance.

Sorry I couldn't help more

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #152 (permalink)
Mech & Aero Engineer

Thanks Dieselguru. Your answer is consistent with some other sources I found online, but it is very nice to get some solid confirmation.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #153 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Baron - '89 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 42.4 mpg (US)

The Pod - '08 Chevy Aveo 5
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)
I am an Electron Transfer Technician......that's a fancy way of saying I'm an electrician. Been doing that since 1987...did a bunch of things before that including a good stint at Domino's Pizza. My hobbies include my Beatles website and drumming in a Christian pop/rock band called Servant.

www.letstalkbeatles.com
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #154 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

April - '09 Chevy Aveo5 LS
90 day: 43 mpg (US)
I teach Biology, Meteorology, and Oceanography to high school students. It's actually my first year teaching (fresh from undergrad).

I have mostly, a life science background. My interest in the environment/not spending money on gas got me interesting in hypermiling, which brought me over here.

I usually bike to work, but I have to drive long distances to see my friends from college, or my brother 45 mi away.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #155 (permalink)
Uncle Jam

Lil' Red - '97 Chevy S-10 ext 2WD LS
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)
Disabled finish carpenter/cabinet bldr. I'm the one that did all the fancy woodwork in your $1-2M houses till arthritis took control over the wrist. I wrenched all my life since puberty. Got started from my father, built my first engine @ 13 with a mentor. Seen the gas crisis in the 70's, & remember when it was .25 a gallon. We called them "Gas Wars." Also supplemented my income as a semi-pro musician. Worked with some stars, did some recording & a little writing. Presently playing bass for a church choir & searching for worship/praise band.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #156 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuage View Post
Seen the gas crisis in the 70's, & remember when it was .25 a gallon. We called them "Gas Wars."
When I was a kid gas was in the 27 to 32 cent range, and when they were having gas wars it would go down to 21.9. In Springfield some places would have 19.9!

Now THOSE were the days! I'd go around and pick up pop bottles out of the road ditch all the time. (recycling! ) The 'real' glass bottles would bring 2 cents at first, then 3.

During the gas wars, I could carry 3 bottles down to the gas station on my mini-bike, trade in the bottles for 6 cents, put 5 in the gas tank of the mini-bike, and buy a penny bubble gum with the leftover cent. I was good for the day!!!

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #157 (permalink)
Uncle Jam

Yeah, those were the days. When I quoted the quarter a gallon during the gas wars, I was referring to "Ethyl." LOL>... There probably aren't too many on this site that ever heard of her, LOL>.. That '67 396 SS used to drink that up quick! Literally a race between speedo vs gas gauge.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #158 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Ethyl!

LOL! Good old Ethyl. Tetra-Ethyl Lead, if I remember right...

Had a buddy that had a '71 Firebird with the Super Duty 455. Same problem with the needles on the dashboard... I've never gone faster in a straight line, though...

I'm guessing you can remember going into the gas station and asking the ATTENDANT for "Two Dollar's worth, please!" Dad's '57 Chevy would give some of the younger ones fits in trying to figure out where to fill it up!!!

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #159 (permalink)
Uncle Jam

An SD 455? boy, that thing must have been awful slow if you were going in a straight line, ha, ha.. My cousin had Formula 400 '69 bird & we couldn't keep it straight. That posi 370 just kept swingin' it from side to side & we were too stupid to left off, LOL>.. That mtr was rock solid too, it never would tear up. Dad had one of those 3 deuce 421 2+2's. I believe his was a '65. Awesome car. In those days you never could tell where a gas hole was. They could be anywhere, but I had another cousin who owned a '57. I kinda missed the behind the license plate gas hole. It didn't matter which side of the pump you pulled up too. And remember the octane you could get? I'm not sure, but I think the Sunoco 260 was tops. Way over 100. Man, am I getting off topic. I'm going to take a pic & put it on here later of a special wrench, LOL>... We'll see how many people can guess what it is? Stay tuned.....
Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #160 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Kayak hauler - '05 Mitsubishi Lancer ES
90 day: 33.88 mpg (US)
I am currently an environmental engineer for the state govt (Indiana). I conduct pollution prevention opportunity assessments and provide technical assistance on the Toxic Release Inventory (just added to my job duties since they won't fill the position to save money). I have been doing the assessments for just short of a year after transferring from the air permits branch of the state govt.

I graduated from Park University in Missouri with a BS in Eng. Admin. Management in 2006. Signing up for the Army College Fund was the one smart thing that I did while in the army! It paid for all but $5,000 of my degree. I was a combat engineer in the U.S. Army for 7 yrs 9 months and 14 days (I forget how many hours and minutes! ). I left the army to raise my daughter after her mother abandoned us in 1998 (I got out in 2001).

I grew up on a 5 acre farm in Indiana. We had cows, pigs, and chickens with 1/2 acre in hay. My father was a mechanic who chose to work at the Allisons Transmissions plant in Indianapolis. He taught me a lot about older cars like don't touch the metal bumper on a 68 Chevelle (my first car) while doing a battery swap on a running car! How to change the starter on a 74 Ford Ranger (my third vehicle) and so on. My uncle is a carpenter/project manager who owns his construction company. I worked for him during the summers.

I think that sums up my experience and background. Oh yeah, I am a whitewater kayaker living in Indiana. This means I have to travel a lot to get to the rapids.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
haarlem, http://www.ugg-mall.com, lightyear