Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #141 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Self thoughts lately (must be the holidays)

I ama natural fidgeter of anything. nothing stays normal. The funny part is how long some of my stuff has gone in longevity. That mentality led me to ecomodders.

professionally went into aviation mechanics to put a voice of integrity into what I like to do...
There is a means to "hack" at things for better, and not just to be a wild hillbilly stereotype, but out of necessity.

And all cars died after 1987, after 1972.

I also build my own computers, ironically I am on #7 (to the poster above on the #7 pc)

I also have a forum question, (altho it happens to me everywhere on the web) It seems I post and it disappears, like I never posted.Is there something with my pc that makes the web erase me or what? I am memory strong enough to catch on to this mishap, but it seems as though alzheimers could play a trick on me eventually....

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #142 (permalink)
car fuel effiency mods

oh moving right along
Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #143 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
It seems I post and it disappears, like I never posted.Is there something with my pc that makes the web erase me or what?
There's half a dozen things that could be messing with your computer. The firewall settings could be doing it: If you have scripts limited or off that'll do it too. Some internet service carriers don't allow certain things: Some antivirus programs have settings that will stop certain things. If you don't have the latest Java downloaded there could be issues... and on and on...

I hate to say it, but the best thing might be to call in a good local computer tech, and let them adjust things. It better be someone you trust, though...

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Old 12-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #144 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Web Programmer (PHP/MySQL) currently. Starting to sell Solar Water Heaters & PV part time. Love to sail, and lived aboard for about a year, which is when I learned how easy Solar stuff really is, and how it feels to be energy independent.

I'm looking for a new car. Probably going to get a little S10 type truck, and run it on gas for awhile, with the intent to switch it to EV eventually.

Does anyone charge their cars with Solar?

I also have not found any info about the mileage per watt....
Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #145 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

mechanic for 30-someodd years mostly old school chevys and fords just getting into diesels
Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #146 (permalink)
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Hi SolarDeb and welcome on-board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarDeb View Post
Starting to sell Solar Water Heaters & PV part time. Love to sail, and lived aboard for about a year, which is when I learned how easy Solar stuff really is, and how it feels to be energy independent.
I would like to be energy independent, but it cost a lot for a house which wasn't build to fulfill that goal. My 3kWc of PV solar panels will generate only a third of may consumption and will produce more when I consume less...

Quote:
I'm looking for a new car. Probably going to get a little S10 type truck, and run it on gas for awhile, with the intent to switch it to EV eventually.

Does anyone charge their cars with Solar?
BenNelson is doing so and is trying to http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-gas-6080.html

Quote:
I also have not found any info about the mileage per watt....
Look at the blog, there is a serie of articles called "Three Dirt Cheap DIY Electric Cars", some of your questions may be answered there. You can also look at these 3 threads :and others in the Fossil Fuel Free - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #147 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well here it goes...graduated from U. of Michigan with BSE in Mechanical Engineering and several years experience in FSAE as engine group leader. I worked several years designing cooling systems for industrial diesel engines. Now I am working on military diesel engines.

I drive 110 miles round trip every day. Usually at 75-80 mph. In a week or two I'll have my 02 Jetta TDI on the road in search of aerodynamic improvements and the best mileage I can get while going fast.

Hope I can learn something here.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:47 AM   #148 (permalink)
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Hi dieselguru, welcome on-board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselguru View Post
Well here it goes...graduated from U. of Michigan with BSE in Mechanical Engineering and several years experience in FSAE as engine group leader. I worked several years designing cooling systems for industrial diesel engines. Now I am working on military diesel engines.
If you have references, could you add them in my thread http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...esel-5815.html please ?

Quote:
I drive 110 miles round trip every day. Usually at 75-80 mph. In a week or two I'll have my 02 Jetta TDI on the road in search of aerodynamic improvements and the best mileage I can get while going fast.

Hope I can learn something here.
Look at what Tasdrouille achieved with his jetta TDI : http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...enge-4805.html
The 60+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com page will also help.

Don't forget to create your car in the garage and to fill-up its fuel log, this is a great tool to see how you are improving and to motivate yourself. Eco-driving is also a great tool so you should read the 100+ hypermiling / ecodriving tips to increase gas mileage - EcoModder.com page.

Have fun,

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 AM   #149 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Background - I was born in a flower pot.. bloomin idiot.

I keed I keed.

Actually, I'm sure I'll regret making this public knowledge, but I'm a HS dropout. I got my GED in Jan of the following year (2003, I believe), finished the (4 hour) test in about 34 minutes, including a quick smoke break.

Since then, I've been involved in everything from farm work to gov't micro-chips. I used to work for Endicott Interconnect, Inc. (Think: IBM (They bought the original IBM buildings in Endicott, NY, and bought the business there too.)) I worked in total seclusion for 8-16 hours a day there, depending on the work load. For $10/hour. Working with chemicals that could prove instantly fatal.. I'm pretty sure I hated that job.

I've been a backyard mechanic for as long as I can remember, always wanting to fix things that weren't broken, which gave me the title of "Tinkerer." I've also gotten to the point where I can pretty much make anything work, so I'm sort of a Jr. MacGyver, I haven't graduated to Sr. status yet. I can't make everything from everyday items, sometimes it takes me awhile to figure something out, and I don't always do things the easiest way, although I try.

I'm probably the most willing person I know to challenge conventional wisdom/knowledge. If everything in the world was conventional, we all might as well give up. I've (on several occaisions) challenged many of the laws of physics. I've lost an equal number of those battles. One day, I'll win. I like to think so anyway.

I've been tested for IQ at least 100 times since I was 8.. it's always been the same, and people don't believe it, since I don't normally show people in real life any sort of intuition whatsoever.

I don't hang out with people too often, I tend to be a loner in that sense. I've never been particularly worried about other people's opinions of me, good or indifferent. That sort of attitude is usually not conducive to friends, but those who I do acquaint with, are the best friends you could have. They're more like family to me.

If you really wanna start a conversation with me about anything, just PM. Seriously. I'm open to talk about just about anything. I might have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but I can still ask questions. I like to ask questions.

[flameProofSuit=On]

Last edited by Christ; 12-17-2008 at 03:40 AM..
Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #150 (permalink)
Mech & Aero Engineer

Dieselguru, how similar are the heat exchangers that you have done design work with to those of a typical car radiator (NTUs, materials, etc.). I want to get some numbers for what the face velocity should be at the radiator and condenser. I may be able to figure-out a correlation of the optimal cooling intake opening area as a function of vehicle speed and radiator air flow rate. If someone were to use a variable intake area inlet, such a correlation would provide some guidance. The correlations I came up with quite some time ago, fed into a proprietary design code for designing the whole cooling system. So I am not familiar with what the actual airflow requirements typically are for the heat exchanger part of the cooling system.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
haarlem, http://www.ugg-mall.com, lightyear