Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I meant the guy that has all these ethereal magic tricks for efficiency, only hold-up is he needs vast piles of cash to be donated to him before anyone will find out what they are.
I have *no* problem with zoltanbod. He said up front that he wants to solicit money from rich celebrities, which leaves most of us out (unless you are the voice actor of Homer Simpson posting incognito, ). I think this is different from the scam-plan of the tornado's and blades and such.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
zoltanbod (06-10-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
If Zoltan completes his body and finds that he has attached flow and a Cd < 0.20, as I expect he will, I will be envious. The rest of his plan (engine, business plan) seem pie-in-the-sky, but not dishonest.

Still, a Geo Metro with an aero rebody will be among the top ten most efficient cars on the forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
zoltanbod (06-10-2010)
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
One of the key, and generally not quantified, components of any comparison of mileage between any two vehicles is average speed when moving.

I guess I could putt around at 32 MPH if I wanted to win that contest, but I prefer the attitude of Basjoos where I get on the road and go at least 60 MPH. I think he prefers 70-75. The posted speed limit on divided rural highways in NC is 70.

What about an inflatable boat tail that is attached by velcro.

regards
Mech
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
How it works of the INGOCAR.','WinName',460,440,true,true);

above is video.

All i know of hydraulic drive is electric pumps creating a charge for some serious 3000psi braking on a potentially 100 ton airplane.
it is cool to apply brakes after the whine is silent...and they just simply work stopping the behemoth.

I can't judge anything, no knowledge at all. the pressure is a frightening thought... those bumpers won;t stop much...
and if it is not at least 60 F outside... one will be losing alot of pwer, in alot of waiting for accumulators to build again...but ya know every ricer comes from the tropics, they don't care about manly vehicles needed either.

ICE is hanging on for more than barbaric reasons..god is the barbarian.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Frank is refering to the Zoleco . I introduced it to Ecomodder awhile back when i joined. I am busy building the car so i don't have alot of time to spend on this site.Just thought i would check in.Nice to see mention of my "pie in the sky concept". Hydraulic drive/regen is an interesting idea to consider,i will be keeping it in mind for future reference.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Prototype builder

Big Vic - '03 Ford Crown VIctoria LX
90 day: 21.92 mpg (US)
Oh boy just what I want. Another car loaded to the hilt with more hydraulic fluids just waiting to leak all over my driveway. Oh wait, at 3000 PSI or more I suppose it wouldn't leak at all.............it would explode.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1973tl View Post
Oh boy just what I want. Another car loaded to the hilt with more hydraulic fluids just waiting to leak all over my driveway. Oh wait, at 3000 PSI or more I suppose it wouldn't leak at all.............it would explode.
Fortunately, hydraulic fluid is nearly incompressible. What this means is, the sudden transition from 3000psi to 15psi results in only a minuscule increase in volume. That means it won't explode any more than your brake system does when you blow a line at a few thousand PSI.

Liquid water is relatively very compressible, and it WILL explode from a hydraulic system. That's one of the reasons never to substitute water for hydraulic oil.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Why waste the time it takes to respond.

Millions of feet of hydraulic lines and hundreds of thousands of cylinders doing nasty work every day. Construction, mining, even 0 turn lawn mowers, body shops that bend your car like a piece of spaghetti. This world would be much different without the existing, very mature, and utterly dependable use of hydraulics for hundreds, even thousands of different operations.

Got an single example of an explosion in the last 20 years.

Try some research into the subject before you make such statements that have absolutely no basis in any factual evidence.

In fact some hydraulic systems even operate on non petroloeukm based fuids, like glycol, or water. Spill some on the ground (water) and it just evaporates.

Use the same logic on your 400 pound battery that just got spread all over a major intersection.

Do you ride around on a mtorcycle with an engine hitting 11k RPM. OH GOD! It's going to explode and cut you in half!

How about the 20 pound flywheel in you sidewainder FWD car at say 8 k RPM. Ought to slice you in half.

How about the energy content in 15 gallons of gasoline you are carrying around with you in a metal can?

Name a single injury or death directly attributable directly to escaping hydraulic fluids.

geezus, do some research.

Sorry Robert I posted this reply without seeing yours just prior to mine.

It just burns me up to have to read some of the rubbish I see about hydraulics, while people fall all over themselves raving about electric drives and high capacity electrical energy sources, like their is no risk involved in having a 100 million electric cars running down our roads, with 400 pound barrteies in each one.

regards
Mech
Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Intro to Water Hydraulics

regards
Mech
Old 06-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Prototype builder

Big Vic - '03 Ford Crown VIctoria LX
90 day: 21.92 mpg (US)
Geezus relax for christ sake. I was only half joking. Personally I work in a warehouse around forklifts that use hydraulic systems. I hate it when it blows a line and you wind up with an oil slick all over the damned place. Personally I like the electrics because you can work on them without getting messy.
Take it easy I was only joking about an explosion. Get a sense of humor for gods sake already.
Besides if it where a viable alternative, why is nobody else researching it?

Reply  Post New Thread