Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2024, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
1985 Diesel, here I go again!

So it's been decided, we're going to go get our 1985 VW Diesel N/A Golf and start driving it again. Right now it needs a timing belt, fluid changes, a windshield, and a driver's mirror.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2024, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,462 Posts
Why are you get the Golf driving again? Did the Avalon get too expensive to overhaul? On a sidenote, I didn't know you still had the Golf, yet I'd be intersted to know about the cold start ability in such an extreme weather.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,689 Times in 7,162 Posts
I looked up whether it has a balance shaft, and I see that a balance shaft delete is a thing.

My 1979 Dasher diesel had an intolerable idle, the hood would shake. Still wish I still had it. The way I explained it today (to the mechanic I bought it from) was that the buyer convinced me I wanted to sell it.

Truthfully, I didn't have a parking space for a fourth vehicle.

Old 06-27-2024, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Why are you get the Golf driving again? Did the Avalon get too expensive to overhaul? On a sidenote, I didn't know you still had the Golf, yet I'd be intersted to know about the cold start ability in such an extreme weather.
The person I gave it to never changed the plates over. They gave it to someone else. Both lost interest. I just found out about it and it's still in my name. However, the long time sitting (6 years) may have caused more rust issues, externally and in the engine.

I had a 1,500W block heater on it. I would start the engine and have it at full operating temperature. The glow plugs wouldn't even turn on, except when I went to the store and came out and the engine had cooled a while. I plugged it in at work so no problem there either. The best thing is that it had instant heat as a result. I'd like to do the same thing to the Avalon but it seems a bit harder to figure out how to install a circulating block heater on.
Old 06-27-2024, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,001 Posts
Freeze plug replacement heaters do well for supplemental heat, no circ pump requirements
Old 06-27-2024, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Freeze plug replacement heaters do well for supplemental heat, no circ pump requirements
I don't think the Avalon has freeze plugs. The cartridge type keeps it only some 30 °F warmer than ambient.

I haven't had great success with cartridge and freeze-plug types. They need to be plugged in all night to have any sort of measureable effect, as they are usually around 300W or less. A 1,500W circulating heater makes a difference in as little as 15 minutes. I'm contemplating going to a 2,000W heater as I have a 20A outlet at my home and at my place of work. Or use the 500W for a small space heater pointed at the windshield.