Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For the bushing part what was the original made out of? If it was plastic why don't you fill it up with plastic epoxy and drill it out. If you need it to be precise consider getting a drill press and something like this:- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices. Of course you will need to put duct tape on the bottom so it doesnt run out while it is drying. If it is a steel insert or an aluminum one maybe you could just go to a local machinist and have something like a door pin put in and drilled out. Or maybe even use JB weld (it has metal particles in it). There is also JB Stick weld which is a moldable putty and you could drill that out. If you want it as close to the original as possible, and it WAS plastic, you could take a CLEAN sliver of plastic off the old broken one, burn it to identify what type of plastic it is, and then get a plastic welder and melt the right type of plastic into the hole where the old bushing was, drill it out, and do your finish work with a dremel w/ the 150 piece accessory kit. When repairing rusted floor pans it also depends on how much metal you have left. If it is just a few holes, then sand blast it or wire brush the rust with a drill and a wire cup, make sure you get all the scale, then fill in the holes that JB stick weld I was talking about earlier after you clean the metal with a soap and water or solvent, you want it to stick to clean metal, then go to autozone and get a bottle of rust convertor and cover any affected or bare metal, once that has dried, get some fiberglass resin and some fiberglass material and cover the affected area extending maybe two to three inches outside the affected area as a good margin for it to cling to some good metal to be structurally sound. Then cover it with several sheets, I think last time I did this I used about 3 to 5 sheets of fiberglass. Thats the top side, for the bottom just make sure you clean off scale and put some convertor on it and maybe cover it with some sort of spray paint, if it is near the exhaust you may want to use that engine spray paint. Anything else? I need to get my 87 SI going but want to find a 1.3 L for the bottom end to rebuild first (there's a rod knock in my 1.5L). I keep looking at the local U-PULL-IT but ain't finding anything. Maybe I will just have to buy a whole car. Well good luck!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a 85 civic base model. Would you sell me your passenger side mirror? I think it would fit.

thanks, Paul
Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I could pick you one up at the junkyard but is your ride a sedan, hatch, or wagon? You guys don't have junkyards there? And what are you wanting to pay? I also have a bunch of extra 85-87 SI parts if you are looking to convert your ride to fuel injection. I am swapping to a newer motor so I won't need it.

Reply  Post New Thread