Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ryan - '94 Mazda 323 BASEEEEE
1994 Mazda 323 hatch "My Eco Project"

Car is a base model hatch with an automatic...

1994 Mazda 323 with ~128,xxx miles

I am planning on a Phased plan where I am going to do things and test, do more things then test.

Phase 1 will be a baseline test with basically an oil change and perhaps transmission fluid change.

Phase 2 will be another oil change with better filter, the trans filter and synthetic fluid again, and a basic tune-up (probably with indexed plugs since I already have the washers)

Phase 3 will be oil change with synthetic or synthetic blend and trans service. Then one "fuel saving device" at a time... then finally all of them together. Acetone too...

Phase 4 will be adding things like front air dams, side thingys, underpinning thingys and maybe seeing what can be done with the rear.

All data will be logged and probably shared.

Anyone having purchased the plans for the hydrogen kits that would be willing to email me the file or perhaps burn me a disc and mail it would be GREATLY appreciated as I expect this project to be kind of expensive as is....

I will be working with an IT engineer from my job on the kits and may modify them to work better or at least try.

I am going to be building some "snake oil" devices and trying them also... I think I will also invest in an eBay tornado device unless someone has one they would be willing to donate to the project.

Not begging, but partially used gift cards to auto parts stores in Texas would also be appreciated. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto Parts are the three main ones here in Texas.

Back on the subject of the hydrogen kits, I am thinking about making the kits on a smaller scale, but having up to four of them running at highway speeds and them being on individual switches so that can be shut off for short cruises or just less of them running in town depending on how the car runs with them on/off in different combos.

Then also possibly having a semiconductor microprocessor based controller that would modify the signal from the O2 sensor to the ECU as RPMs are up and down or with the different combos of the cells being off or on.

All in all, this project may be really cool or a complete disaster, but I think it will be fun.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Phase's # 1 2 and 3 alone will take about a year depending on how much you drive. Unless you like to waste oil and dump before it's actually due. Especially Synthetic which should go 7500 miles minimum before changes.

Good luck.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site Jason. What kind of mileage are you currently getting with your 323, and what is your daily commute like?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Jason,
If you're interested, the 5-speed transmission from a '90-'94ish protege with the 1.8L engine should bolt right up to your clutch housing (different bolt pattern to the engine though), and give you a final drive ration of 3.6:1. Something to consider after your aero mods.

Vol

*Time period is from 1 January 2006 - 1 March 2007*
Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I haven't really driven it yet... it is sitting in the driveway leaking oil from the valve cover at the moment. I drove it home and that has been it. I just picked it up Saturday and will start working on it tonight or tomorrow.

I drive about 20-25 miles a day typically.

As far as the wasting oil thing is concerned... the reason for the aggressive oil change schedule is due to the fact that I don't think the car was maintained very well and the engine flush things can sometimes do more harm than good on elderly engines. I have GTX 5W-30 in front of me now that I got on special and will likely do Synthetic Blend on the next one. These will do for my baseline tests.

I figure I will have a good idea of Phase 1 within two weeks of starting. The others will take longer due to the fact that I would want to give them more time.

I don't think I will be doing too many crazy mechanical mods to this car as I have a Mustang Cobra and a Mazdaspeed Protege also... This one is a hopefully drive to work car that will get better MPG than the MSP or at least be able to use cheaper gas at the minimum...
Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Have you taken a look at our 100+ driving tips yet? Changing your driving style is going to give you much larger gains than modifications and to top it off they are free. That is where I recommend everyone start. However, properly done modifications definitly don't hurt. There are a lot of fancy useless gizmos out there though.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well it looks like I am skipping to Phase 2...

I did the oil change today and the PCV valve replacement. I am going out for the Autolite Platinum plugs now and tomorrow will pick up the rest of the stuff... I can get the plugs at Wal Mart, but the rest will be from Auto Zone...

baseline miles on the car is 128,385

Last edited by Jason; 06-05-2008 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Mileage was wrong
Old 06-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So far after the valve cover gasket replacement there look to be no more leaks.

Todays project involved:
Removing the air silencers
new FRAM air filter
spark plug replacement with Autolite AP64s(not indexed because it was getting dark)
1oz of regular Sea Foam in each cylinder while spark plugs were out and Deep Creep
cleaned TB using carb cleaner and Deep Creep
distributor cap and rotor replacement
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Have you taken a look at our 100+ driving tips yet? Changing your driving style is going to give you much larger gains than modifications and to top it off they are free. That is where I recommend everyone start. However, properly done modifications definitly don't hurt. There are a lot of fancy useless gizmos out there though.
I have not looked at that yet... I plan to...

This is a project that has my interest peaked from the "scientific point of view" I want to give the gizmos a fair and open minded trial on a real life car before starting the crazier aero mods, major weight reduction, etc...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Todays project involved:

new FRAM air filter
I would rather remove mine an leave it out before putting a Fram filter on. That company is nowhere near what it used to be and all products are of poor quality in my professional opinion. I use Baldwin filters only and always have since I first got into this business. I have seen these Fram air filters literally suck into the airbox and deform causing dirt to get right by on many occasions and on many different applications.

Just my 2 cents.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Reply  Post New Thread