Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Check engine light

Hmm, I guess I'm gonna be on the right lane all the time from now on

I had never seen such high mpg in 3 yrs of driving the car. But my happiness was short lived ... I got a check engine light after driving 314 miles a fillup and another 290miles (600 miles total) on the new o2 sensor. I guess the new o2 sensor isn't good although it seems to be more efficient than my older one. I'll check the codes tomorrow and let you know. I'll probably end up swapping the new o2 sensor back out for the old o2 sensor (that never gave me a CEL) and see if the slow driving does the trick for me.

I'm almost sure the old o2 sensor won't be efficient, so my question is...

What do you think of the NTK 24300 from amazon? Is it something that you consider more reliable? (It is $175)

Thanks,

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

P1164 cel

So the code ended up reading "LEAN"... I suppose the engine is running too lean now, instead. I'll get another NTK 24300 and hope that doesn't produce the CEL again. I hear Denso 234-5052 Air Fuel Ratio Sensor is a good one as well.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
P1164 is the Primary HO2S Circuit Range/Performance problem. I get the same code. Actually I also get P1163 which is Primary HO2S Slow Response. Basically this means that the O2 sensor is not up to the task of reading exhaust gases in wide-band mode. It doesn't mean the car is running lean. There is actually another code for excessive lean and rich conditions.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust manifold? Your stock one should have the primary O2 sensor right up next to the exhaust ports. I have a theory that modifying the exhaust manifold on these cars can effect lean burn and cause CEL's. My setup places the O2 sensor way back under the car, and I believe this is why I get my CEL. Either that, or the O2 sensor quality is not up to par.

You can still get good mileage with the P1164 code. I've been averaging 46 with the code on all the time. Basically the O2 sensor only malfunctions in lean burn mode, when the engine tries to change the A/F ratio.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
hxman (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My guess is on the o2 quality

Everything in my car is 100% stock or at least OE style. Thanks for letting me know that the engine is not running lean as I was a little concerned about driving it like this. I have already ordered another one from Ebay for $100 (hoping it is better quality this time). Once it arrives I'll test it for another two weeks to see if it's free of CELs.

Alternatively, I could put in my older "lazy" o2 sensor that doesn't ever go into lean burn mode. But I'm in love with lean burn, especially now that I finally got the car to get the promised high mpgs that you guys are getting.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile My current mpg

I bought another o2 sensor, a genuine NTK 23400 from ebay that had been listed at $140 for $100 - the seller accepted my best offer and my gamble paid off. I installed that sensor about 5 months ago and I've been getting anywhere from 38 - 42 mpg ever since. In city mpg is more around 36-38 but mixed driving usually gets me about 40 mpg.

I drove only on the highway 60-65 mph the other day and got a sweet 45mpg. On the other hand, if had I driven 80mpg the whole time, I would get around 33-34mpg. What works for me is to keep the rpm around 2500 and keep a light and steady pressure on the gas pedal to stay in lean burn as much as possible.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxman View Post
I bought another o2 sensor, a genuine NTK 23400 from ebay that had been listed at $140 for $100 - the seller accepted my best offer and my gamble paid off. I installed that sensor about 5 months ago and I've been getting anywhere from 38 - 42 mpg ever since. In city mpg is more around 36-38 but mixed driving usually gets me about 40 mpg.

I drove only on the highway 60-65 mph the other day and got a sweet 45mpg. On the other hand, if had I driven 80mpg the whole time, I would get around 33-34mpg. What works for me is to keep the rpm around 2500 and keep a light and steady pressure on the gas pedal to stay in lean burn as much as possible.

Congrats on getting it running satisfactory. There is still more potential in that car, at freeway cruise. It looks like you might not be in lean burn all that often on the freeway. Aeromods and tire pressure and such will help.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic, civic hx, o2 sensor, oxygen sensor, surge