Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jet - '99 Suzuki Swift Hatchback
1999 Swift getting crummy mileage...

Hey there,

About 8 months ago I bought an automatic '99 Swift to replace my automatic '96 Metro. I purchased a scangauge a few months ago, and I've confirmed its accuracy using the odometer and set it up properly etc.

The problem I'm having is that I'm getting about 8 LHK on the highway and about 12 LHK city average! This is despite no hard accelaration, not driving agressively, etc. I've been practicing my eco-friendly driving techniques that I've read about on the internet.

I have tried a few things to try to get better economy out of it; their was a bad gasket seal on the transmission that got fixed for about $150 and the exhaust system rotted out a bit and was noisy so I replace the exhaust for about $300. Not bad for a car I bought for $1000. It has 134000 KM on it (Im in Canada)... also replaced spark plugs.

Whats up with this car? My Geo got WAY better economy than this, and from what I've read I should be getting more like 6 LHK hwy, and 8 city...

??? I bought this sucker thinking I was getting basically the same as my '96 and its really messing with my fuel cost plans...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sorry wrong category...this forum is confusing to me... I reposted in better category, mods please delete this thread.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Hmmm. Must be something causing this. No ghosts involved, it's physics and mechanics etc.

Use the ScanGauge to tell you as much as you can get from it. In my car I can see system voltage, engine temp (displayed as ºFWT), intake air temp (ºFIA), and ignition advance (IGN). Another good one is the open/closed loop indication, I can't recall offhand what it's labeled but I think you'll recognize it.

Anyway, if it's not warming up properly, or not going into closed loop operation, or voltage is down (not a likely issue but the info is free!), it might point you in the direction of figuring out what's going on.

I definitely would check the timing with a timing light. Be sure to find the right procedure in a manual - usually there's a vacuum hose to disconnect, or a wire to jump or disconnect somewhere, to check the advance. If it's retarded, you'll lose power.

FYI - The IGN info on the ScanGauge is from the computer, course. At least in my car, it's what the 'puter intends, and is based on the timing being adjusted per spec. If the ign timing is mechanically adjusted wrong, the displayed information doesn't reflect that error.

In my car's case, it had a burned valve, and was also leaking oil into the cylinders via the valve guides. The only cure was a head rebuild. I hope yours is less expensive than that!!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TY

moved thread is here

Reply  Post New Thread