Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
compute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
The math I am not sure about, but it seems to be a quadratic equation rather than linear.

I do not THINK it is as easy to compute as that. I am not an expert, nor do I know too much at all about the subject, I just can't believe it to be so easy.
General Motors came up with the Cd vs mpg relationship and published in an SAE Paper.
As of 1990,the GM Aero Lab said the relationship was still valid.
It does assume a constant BSFC and is not intended to supersede wind tunnel testing or official coastdowns,but it can be used with high confidence.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

variables

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Your math misses other variables you don't know: rolling resistance of tires, engine mods, driving habits, etc. A-B testing risks time correlation. A-B-A testing rechecks baseline. However, once a car is supermodded another "A" run isn't very likely. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Real gains are sticky. Why undo successful mods to prove they helped? Human nature... (shrug)
The relationship is dependent on a smooth,level road.No curves,no wind,no rain,and a constant velocity.
It's a tough trick to pull off.The best I can do is to compare long trip data from year to year with varying mods,and document everything I safely can without crashing.
Man,that A2 Wind Tunnel is looking mighty fine!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The relationship is dependent on a smooth,level road.No curves,no wind,no rain,and a constant velocity.
It's a tough trick to pull off.
Yes it is a tough trick. But it isn't hopeless. I found I could get pretty tight baseline runs by running two directions(nulls wind), constant ave. speed via Scangauge, hills become insignificant if the baseline and change are done back-to-back, and driver variability "smooths" out if the course is long, say 10 miles or more.

Takes lots of time and fuel, unfortunately.

A cruise control would help maintain the constant ave. speed, but unfortunately that doesn't work very well on the MT Insight
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Also, why did you choose 45 MPG as the "original" 65 MPH fuel consumption figure? There's no rule that says the EPA figure necessarily equals MPG @ 65 MPH. Depending on the car, real world MPG at a steady 65 could be higher or lower than the highway rating.
I chose 45 MPG as the original figure because i seem to remember that is what a manual 1992 Civic CX hatchback is rated at on the highway, and that is the number that i seem to remember Bassjoos said was his baseline before the mods.

Fuel Economy of the 1992 Honda Civic
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
It's all speed dependent. I found these graphs from a Cummins white paper. It's geared towards semi trucks, but it illustrates the principle.

This second plot (from the same white paper) shows % mpg benefit vs % aero improvement for different duty cycles:
It looks as if a 20% decrease in drag equals just over 12 % increase in FE ?

So would a small car have more to gain, or does everything scale up or ...

Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
My guess would be that the the original '20% gets 10%' conjecture is a 'rule of thumb', based on the total resistance being half aero and half rolling resistance; but with rolling resistance being linear and aero being exponential—not always accurate in all cases.

Edit: So I see it's not that I'm a slow typist, there were three pages to the thread, not one.

So I'm going to fall back to Your Mileage May Vary.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-22-2012 at 08:59 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cda vs HWY mpg reference

The source of the CdA/mpg relationship is:
"Aerodynamics for Body Engineers"
by Kent B. Kelly and Harry J.Holcombe
General Motors Styling Staff,General Motors Corporation
SAE Paper No. 649A,January 1963,at the Automotive Engineering Congress
SAE Transactions,Volume 72,1964,page 571
"... a 10% reduction in aerodynamic drag makes a 5% reduction in fuel consumption possible at 55 mph,and a 6% reduction of fuel consumption possible at 70 mph."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This relationship has absolutely nothing to do with the EPA.
It is for constant-speed top-gear cruising on a straight,level,dry,paved road with zero wind.
Typically,a small 'test' tank is in parallel with the main fuel tank,with a transfer valve operated by the test driver(s).As the car enters the test section of the 'track' the fuel valve is diverted over to the smaller test tank for the duration of the test period,then switched back to the main tank upon conclusion of the test.
By measuring the mass of fuel,before and after the runs,and knowing the constant velocity and distance,the mpg can be computed on a mass/volume basis.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today,with Scanguage and other 'instantaneous' mpg displays,anyone who can access a good stretch of highway ought to be able to construct a complete velocity/mpg baseline for future comparisons to deduce drag coefficients after mods.
Cd (10-24-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
If I remenber correctly you also need to make your gearing same amount taller that you can save fuel on your aero mods. Secret for this relates that BSFC maps... Other option is to use P&G technigue and gearing is not that big problem.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post
If I remenber correctly you also need to make your gearing same amount taller that you can save fuel on your aero mods. Secret for this relates that BSFC maps... Other option is to use P&G technigue and gearing is not that big problem.
Yes,both Gino Sovran,and Wolf Hucho emphasize proper gear-matching after streamlining in order to maintain the same load as before.It protects the engine from over-speeding,and keeps the engine operating on the same 'island' of it's BSFC map,yielding the biggest bang for the buck.
Sovran claimed that up to 60% of the streamlining benefit to mpg could be lost without it.
Carl Breer's streamlining team ran into this with the Cd 0.244 Chrysler DeSoto Airflow test mule.
I do believe that modern EFI technology may mitigate some of the loss,as manifold vacuum no longer controls fuel metering as in the carbureted-engine-cars with which early research was conducted.

Vekke (11-03-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread