Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Something Everyone Should Read

This is something I think everyone should read, especially if they take their car to a garage for repairs. Could save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars on repairs, plus it gives you information on how and who to contact if you think you been scammed in an auto repair.

http://www.youfixcars.com/support-fi...epairguide.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to Ford Man For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-16-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I've never been to a mechanic. Whats it like?
The Following User Says Thank You to tjts1 For This Useful Post:
Ryland (05-02-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
I've never been to a mechanic. Whats it like?
Tells of many of the scams that some garages pull on customers. Gives advice on questions to ask before a repair is made and gives you information on who to contact if you think you've been scammed by a shop or mechanic. It was wrote by a mechanic. I do my own work, but still found it interesting and want my son and wife to read it so if I'm not able to do their work at some point or not around they don't get taken advantage of by not such honest repair facilities. I experienced a chain store mechanic try to pull a scam on me about 20-25 years ago such as the writer describes. I was on a trip 500 miles from home and took my car into another store from the same chain where I'd bought my tires to have the free rotation performed. The mechanic tried to tell me my tie rod ends were worn out, but he didn't know I'd just checked them a couple weeks before and everything was fine. So I didn't take his bait. I drove the car about another 100K miles and when I sold it, it still had the same tie rod ends on it he had told me were bad.

Last edited by Ford Man; 05-01-2012 at 03:59 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Indeed. Not many of us have the time or the tools needed to tackle something like a complete automatic transmission rebuild, for instance. The next best thing is to educate one's self and "interview" as many shops as required to get a good, warm fuzzy.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
two or three sides to this coin

there are two sides to this coin
the writer of that PDF has the credentials - but not the theory or the skill to survive as a flat rate tech

he is NOT qualified to write what he wrote

anyone can study and take tests
and pass AES tests or factory certification tests

most of those can not survive in the shop - fixing broken cars unless they are getting all "gravy" work like brakes and simple suspension repairs

most of those paper techs can not use critical thinking added to theory in real time to solve problems - and they loose their shirt when real problems present themselves - because unlike DRs , we can not charge for "guessing".

then we have
dishonest customers
who claim warranty for self induced problems ... oh yes , that's right
i said it .
dishonest consumers .

there are ripoff shops out there and there are fools who patronize them seeking to get something (repair of a un maintained car) for nothing
so they follow the adds for $15 oil changes and free anything

after they get screwed over by those guys
they have to seek out people like me , who will NOT work for free , who have the ability to repair the real problems (many of which are self induced by the consumer )

i cringe when i see things like this PDF
because the people that read them are going to be poisoned against all techs and shops
when in fact
many of us just want to earn a living by solving the problems of the consumer and getting paid for our skill sets and knowledge and experience

when you think techs are rip offs and are not due what they charge
remember that
we are always learning new systems and buying new tools and storing obsolete tools that will never be used again
we test - we do not guess - we do not recommend that which is not needed.

DRs have only 2 models ,
there are no updates or changes
ever
and mistakes induced by the medical profession AND MANY DOCTORS at the direction of your corrupt government (FDA) are buried - after the medical profession rapes the medical insurance for every penny they can get thereby raising your medical insurance premiums .
(test for a fee then Guess for a fee then guess for a fee again never recommending what will actually fix the broken human because the real fix cannot be copyrighted so FDA will not approve it and big pharma will not market it )

and yet people look down their noses at auto repair techs and glorify those who
"PRACTICE" in the medical profession ? over 200,000 deaths per year from mistakes

this guy who wrote this PDF should spend more time learning to fix broken cars , or he should make a career change and the consumers who read this should learn to avoid advertising hype and align themselves with a qualified local independent shop to establish a long term relationship that will be beneficial to both the shop and the consumer

Last edited by mwebb; 05-16-2012 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: practice
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mwebb For This Useful Post:
JasonG (05-28-2012), mechman600 (05-16-2012), t vago (05-16-2012), TEiN (05-24-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elise - '13 Hyundai Elantra GLS
I'd wager to say the majority of chain mechanics are scams.

One time Pepboys tried to get me to buy a new windshield wiper motor (for something like $200) for my old car. However, I was smart enough to test the wipers before I left the lot. Guess what? They worked, so I didn't fall for it.

Another time, Meineke tried to sell me an ECU for over $500 (for the same old car). They didn't realize that I had already had my local mechanic replace the ECU a few weeks ago for just over $100 (and I watched him do it, so I know he didn't rip me off).

These chain shops will try to take advantage of you in any way possible, and it's no secret. If there's some maintenance that you can't do on your own, go to a local mechanic if at all possible.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elise - '13 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
anyone can study and take tests
and pass AES tests or factory certification tests
I do hope you realize that 2 years of on-the-job experience is required to get an AES certification, right?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

mwebb, The writer didn't say all shops were like this, but you and I both know there are garages where this is common practice. If I recall correctly from when I read this he said he use to work as a mechanic, not just a paper pusher. I do most of my own repairs and have been learning about cars for the past 40 years, since before I started driving, but when it's something I don't have the knowledge or tools to do myself I tell them specifically what I want done. I don't throw parts at a problem either I do my own diagnosis. When electronic ignition and computer controlled systems became popular I didn't know about any of it, but I studied the systems and learned about them and about anyone who sets their mind to it can do the same thing. My son's car had a #4 cylinder misfire a couple weeks ago, there were many possibilities, but with testing the components I was able to figure out it was a bad coil. If my son had taken the car to a garage probably the first thing they would have done would have been put in a new set of plugs and wires which it didn't need. About the only things I won't tackle with my self learned skills, tools, Chilton's, Haynes, and Ford factory manuals are transmission repairs, internal engine repairs and exhaust system repairs. I have done my own exhaust system repairs, but found it was much easier to let someone else do it and didn't cost much more than the parts cost me. I too have tools that I've bought for a specific job that may never be used more than 1 or 2 times and I also have a few I've bought just in case, but the savings by doing my own work was well worth the purchase price of the tools. I used to work as a carpenter and know the expense of having to buy tools for the job, replacing broken/worn out tools and tools that get lost. I had hand tools, electric tools and battery operated tools that got lost, wore out or got damaged that I had to replace. I know mechanics have more tools that are outdated than I do, but when technology changes often the needed tools do to, but like me, I doubt you have tools that haven't paid for themselves in income. I think this was a good write up, everyone needs to know what the problem is, a visual and explanation of why the part needs replacing before just telling any mechanic to do something on their recommendation. Asking questions about how the diagnosis was made is also good advice. I've seen SO CALLED MECHANICS that just started throwing parts at a problem often resulting in multiple trips to a garage for the same issue. I also have a trusted friend I've known for over 35 years that is a mechanic that does my work for me when needed. He works for a reasonable wage, does good work and doesn't try to sell you unneeded parts. He makes a good living and stays booked up and often a few days behind.

Last edited by Ford Man; 05-17-2012 at 02:38 AM..
Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Thanks Ford Man. I shared this on facebook just now. Try to do all my own repairs now, but I have in the past relied on mechanics. Once or twice I figured -out the game and avoided an unneeded repair. I probably got taken for replacement parts many times without realizing it. Once, I seriously suspected I got taken for a few hundred, which bugged me for a while, and helped push me toward learning to do the work myself, finally. I hope you're teaching your kids, and that your kids can see and embrace the value of your knowledge. I wished I had lived closer to my grandfather when I was a kid, so I might have learned more from him (he was an electrician and an excellent mechanic). Thanks!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Ford Man (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
This is why before some1 takes a car to a mechanic they should attempt the problem their selves if its broke it wont get much worse. The simple things like changing your oil, anybody can know how to do and would save a lot more agony because if the customer denies paying for something and it is done it is not to be paid for. This is why my dad who is an ex mechanic teaches me anything about fixing my car whenever he gets the chance it rarely goes to the mechanic because i may not be as lucky to know the owner of the shop since we were kids like my dad has.

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Reply  Post New Thread