Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
nin
EcoModding Lurker

2002 Honda Insight for sale, November 2012

I have a 2002 Honda Insight (automatic, blue) for sale. It has 212,000 miles on it and the IMA battery (original) is down to its last few micro amps.

I ordered a new Ford Fiesta today and it should arrive in early to mid November. So I have until then to sell the Honda.

I bought the car new and am the only owner. It has been taken to the dealer for all the scheduled maintenance work. The only damage was the driver side mirror sheared off in a parking lot, and the other person's insurance paid the dealer for the replacement/repair.

Battery: After pulling the negative on the 12 volt to reset, I can go a few days or 50 to 100 miles before getting the IMA and Check Engine light. The 12 volt battery is about four years old.

Repair history: driver's side front wheel bearing 10 months ago. Year ago replaced both rear hatch struts (bean me on the head once, shame on me. bean me the second time, I buy new struts). I think the dealer replaced an O2 sensor in the last couple years during routine maintenance work.

Body is OK. A few small scratches and scrapes, nothing huge. One small hail dent in the roof. Nose of the hood has some light pitting in the paint. Interior shows some wear. Hole in carpet under driver's foot but have mats in there now. Left side of driver's seat has a notch worn through the fabric roughly where the seatbelt runs.

Minor issues: hatch release doesn't clear the catch, jiggling the key is needed. A rattle under the hood near on driver's side. Knob for temperature contol is off.

We're still driving this daily, so we would not want to let it go until we get close to the delivery date for the new car. But I wanted to give some enthusiasts who appreciate what the Insight is about a chance to contact me if interested.

I haven't set a firm price yet since a check of Ebay and Craigslist shows a lot of variability. For now I'd like to see if there's interest at $5000 or less.

Thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I would come down and get it but only if its cheap enough for me to justify driving down from northern wisconsin

I always wanted a fixer upper insight, me thinks $3k or less
Old 09-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Please update the thread if you sell the car. I'm sure others would like to know what it went for.

Also, if you post it for sale online, you may post links by omitting the "http://" part of the link (since you're restricted as a new user from posting full links).
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Find the "in service date" for the battery warranty, you may have at least a few months before your warranty truly expires.

My 2001 CVT red Insight with 126,000 miles i got for $3,200. That battery IMA'd 3 months later but still runs fine. Had it happened before i bought it i could've had it for $2,500-$3,000. It's in really good shape but it has a few dings and scratches. Unless your paint job looks immaculate i'd say $4k is unreasonable, but you never know what people will pay these days.

My car was traded in the minute the warranty expired and the IMA light didn't go off. As i'm sure is why there are a good deal of 00-01 Insights for sale. My suggestion if you want a high price, put it on ebay with a reserve and if it never reaches your reserve, well now you have an idea of what it should go for.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
An automatic with 200k miles and a failing traction battery = under $3k.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
An automatic with 200k miles and a failing traction battery = under $3k.
Ah I missed that part, too bad you can't delete the ultra low emissions and change the auto over to the same system as the MT. better yet if there were such a thing as a cheap MT swap.

Still probably worth sub $3k
Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
nin
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry I haven't replied sooner to the questions. I travel on business quite a bit...

I'm in Northwest Arkansas near Fayetteville. If someone were to fly in to XNA to get the car I could certainly arrange to meet them there.

Unfortunately I was over the mileage limit for the extended warranty, but that's history now. It still drives OK with the IMA out, just sluggish from a standing start.

I appreciate the feedback on prices. I figured my starting point was very optimistic. On the other hand I had a dealer wanting to give me only $1000 as a trade in and I was insulted by that. He claimed that the battery going bad would leave the car stranded and it would have to be towed, so I doubt he knew about Insights.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
nin
EcoModding Lurker

Update with pictures

I finally got a sunny day to take a few pictures. I have more and will get to them later. Or if there are specific requests for pictures I can do that as well.

Looks like we're definitely under $4000 in price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car_front_small.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	11637   Click image for larger version

Name:	car_dash_small.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	11638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger_interior_small.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	11639  
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Are you trading it in? I am looking /waiting on a 2000,5 speed, 202000 mi. new tires, that has a very clean exterior, a super clean interior. It is owned by a little old lady. The IMA battery has gone out and she has been asking 3500. Just waiting! If you do not mind telling, I would like to know what the dealer offered you.

old..

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
for sale, insight