Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2023, 02:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
From 2014:

When I wrote that, it was because -- beyond the green Colani -- I'd just seen this:

2.bp.blogspot.com/-YT-0gLHRQnE/Uu3GnlfxJkI/AAAAAAAC0q4/fmze1vcXBwY/s1600/DSC_0505.JPG

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
JacobLeSann (10-04-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2023, 10:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh wow! I understand what you mean now by boat-tailing. Reminds me of the “Bonneville Blowfish”.

I wonder how they exhaust the high pressure air in the front wheel wells. Ditto for the radiator flow.

That radiator ducting you posted is neat, but I bet it would require some serious length. Many Motorsport radiator ducts use a 7 degree expansion angle as a rule of thumb, but this has radiused curves over straight lines. Hmm, I’m still inclined to believe that dumping air out the bottom like that would make lift.

Anyways, test test test. I may make a magnehekic gauge.
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobLeSann For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-09-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 05:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Noob

City Civic - '02 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.12 mpg (US)

Shitty Ranger - '99 Ford Ranger 4x4 XL Single Cab
90 day: 16.65 mpg (US)
How have I not seen this thread yet? Awesome!
Old 10-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks! Work in progress, but still driven everyday. This R18 is an underrated little Honda engine.

——————————————————-

Been raining hard enough to feel European around here lately, and I’ve been watching carefully at how rain is flowing over the car. I’m not quite sure what exactly this is indicating but it’s of interest.

Here’s a driver’s view at 90 km/h. I used a filter to make the water more visible. The water was still and didn’t move 3-5” behind the wipers, in an asymmetrical pattern.

Rear windshield at 90 km/h. No flow. Stray rain drops that landed there would stay there and not move.

Front windshield after parking. A little washed out but the flow pattern was visible.

Rear view of the roof. A clean flow pattern was visible but seemed to break off at the edge between the rear glass and the roof.

Rear end. You can see some streams of water wrapping over the C-pillars. There were no flow lines on the rear glass, and the rear wing had nothing of note.

My theory is that the flow of rain water around the car is a side effect of high pressure zones on the car. The flow seems most intense at the top of the roof, and at the front of the car. Air spiraling out the front wheel casts a big swath of pure water down the sides. There is nothing at the rear. But that’s just my idea.
———————————————

I think there is something tricky going on with the boundary layer at the rear of the car. This may match up with photos of tuft lines I have posted in the original thread. If I make a magnehelic gauge and measure pressure zones of the car, maybe that will get me closer to understanding.

It’s very wet out, but if/once it dries I will try some more tuft testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53AD7C61-2B47-4912-A56D-26B853705223.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	34219   Click image for larger version

Name:	95592C7F-AD70-41D3-85B8-84F60B7D4B2B.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	34220   Click image for larger version

Name:	BADFBFAD-7CB2-49F1-8A98-0F5F289B150D.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	34221   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E4544D0-61F9-4F50-8F30-1E18A6BF6425.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	34222   Click image for larger version

Name:	837DDEC4-94CF-4EC7-9C07-7E1BE7BBA619.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	34223  

Old 10-09-2023, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'out the bottom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLeSann View Post
Oh wow! I understand what you mean now by boat-tailing. Reminds me of the “Bonneville Blowfish”.

I wonder how they exhaust the high pressure air in the front wheel wells. Ditto for the radiator flow.

That radiator ducting you posted is neat, but I bet it would require some serious length. Many Motorsport radiator ducts use a 7 degree expansion angle as a rule of thumb, but this has radiused curves over straight lines. Hmm, I’m still inclined to believe that dumping air out the bottom like that would make lift.

Anyways, test test test. I may make a magnehekic gauge.
With a properly shaped underbody, it can assist with a super-velocity which can actually cancel lift for the vehicle.
JacobLeSann (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 03:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Super-velocity??

Would love to see pics.

Going to stitch up my old cracked bumper today and try some ducting out. I think NASCAR has some great duct designs for a front engine car. There seems to be complications in getting air out of the front wheel wells because of the engine placement and design…Specific to this car of course.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pictures? You want Pictures?

Buckminster Fuller called it an 'air keel'.

Aerocivic employed double-wall side skirts.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...html#post78309

Practically speaking, you start with a notched air dam.

[I keep forgetting whose car this is]

Old 10-18-2023, 12:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I’m not following. You mean having a smooth underbody, with sides that drop down to create a central channel through the underbody?

How does that equate to a “super-velocity”?
Old 10-18-2023, 03:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

His term, not mine. Maybe he will check back in in a day or two.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'water whispering'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLeSann View Post
Thanks! Work in progress, but still driven everyday. This R18 is an underrated little Honda engine.

——————————————————-

Been raining hard enough to feel European around here lately, and I’ve been watching carefully at how rain is flowing over the car. I’m not quite sure what exactly this is indicating but it’s of interest.

Here’s a driver’s view at 90 km/h. I used a filter to make the water more visible. The water was still and didn’t move 3-5” behind the wipers, in an asymmetrical pattern.

Rear windshield at 90 km/h. No flow. Stray rain drops that landed there would stay there and not move.

Front windshield after parking. A little washed out but the flow pattern was visible.

Rear view of the roof. A clean flow pattern was visible but seemed to break off at the edge between the rear glass and the roof.

Rear end. You can see some streams of water wrapping over the C-pillars. There were no flow lines on the rear glass, and the rear wing had nothing of note.

My theory is that the flow of rain water around the car is a side effect of high pressure zones on the car. The flow seems most intense at the top of the roof, and at the front of the car. Air spiraling out the front wheel casts a big swath of pure water down the sides. There is nothing at the rear. But that’s just my idea.
———————————————

I think there is something tricky going on with the boundary layer at the rear of the car. This may match up with photos of tuft lines I have posted in the original thread. If I make a magnehelic gauge and measure pressure zones of the car, maybe that will get me closer to understanding.

It’s very wet out, but if/once it dries I will try some more tuft testing.
1) that's likely a 3"- 5" dead zone in the lee of the wipers, even though they're 'aero' blades. The wiper blades have a Cd of around 1.20, and kicking the flow up just as the flow deflectors do around tires.
2) the backlight is much steeper than the 2011 Audi A7, which had total flow separation at exactly the same place as the CIVIC. The spoiler has likely captured the hoped-for stagnation bubble, but the local streamline is in no position to feed any momentum into this region, as you've lost the boundary layer all the way to the tearing edge / reversal point of the spoiler.
3) the flow rounding the C-pillars triggered the vortice formation in conjunction with low-energy turbulence over the glass.
4) if the length of the spoiler is at the optimum, it's going to be as good as it's going to get for the single mod.

JacobLeSann (10-20-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread