Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2021, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2006 Civic Eco Project

I drive a fair amount for work, about 30,000km/year all in city.

I have daily driven a 2006 smart fortwo CDI and achieved amazing fuel economy(3.5L/100km or 67mpg wasn,t hard). The problem I had was near the end it was painfully unreliable and any money I saved in fuel, I spent in parts and repair time.

So I bought a 2006 2 door civic SI. That was super reliable but it only used premium gas(expensive) and it wasnt super efficient(about 9L/100km), after 2 years with that i sold it and started daily driving a 2001 corvette. Again premium gas. I figured the corvette would use a hair more gas than the civic si but it is a significantly more powerful and cool car. It turned out to use around 50% more gas so I sold it. To replace it I bought another 2 door civic, this time I went with a non si with an auto trans.

It has a reliable 1.8L engine that runs on regular gas. The 5 speed auto is actually better than the manual. The auto can lock the gears or have them open through the torque converter, essentially making it a 10 speed. On top of that it has much longer gears than the manual so its a more relaxing drive on the highway. I can keep the rpm super low with gentle driving without risking lugging the engine and causing bearing damage. The reliability of the auto is excellent too.

I will finish this tomorrow. I have done some basic mods to make the car much better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoadTripRob For This Useful Post:
alexshock (06-10-2021), California98Civic (06-20-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Post up a picture. The 2006 coupe had one of the most beautiful coupe shapes in recent decades, I think. For example:

"Bar of soap" look, like some of the Audis and Benz's of the era but better because it didn't have the Audi or Benz's crappily over-complicated engineering.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread