Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

Those are awesome results, Blue07CivicEX! You can see my results for "Chiro" (My '06 Sedan) in the 'garage' here. I'm getting just close to 37mpg for the last 90 days. Car is stock ... but my drivin' style ain't. What brings me down is my short commute ... which is 1/3 to 1/4 city traffic (along with ethanol, of course).

What tire pressures are you runnin'?

The ambient temps for your driving are kinda low. Expect another 1-3mpg when the temps are solidly in the 80s ... or even 90s. I got 4 tankfuls in a row over 45mpg with my '95 Civic DX Coupe back in the day during an August heat wave ... and I was drivin' it like I stole it.

I'd like wheel skirts for mine so if you get your design fleshed out, I'd like to see it/them sometime. I can't weld, but I should be able to shape aluminum strips and bolt them together with itty, bitty bolts then use button-headed screws to attach the plastic to the aluminum 'frame' and any other attachment points I've rigged up . I'm also a little leary about drilling into the fender lip ... but sacrifices must be made.

Meet in the SUNY parking lot or similar place after you're a little farther along?

Last edited by Bror Jace; 06-28-2008 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: fixed data
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
Thanks for the kind words, I am currently running about 44psi (haven't checked it in 2 weeks going to check today). The new civics have a stock CAI which I may get rid of and make it a WAI I was checking the intake temps yesterday and they were around 90 degrees on a 80 degree day, so the nice thing is it works but the bad thing is it's not going to help my mpg any.

I will post more pics once I get to work on the skirts, today I am filling in that big gap behind the rear tire on the drivers side. depending on whether tomorrow i might start making some mock up skirts.

I am working with SVO to possibly put together a rally in the area this summer or next you should bring your car if we get it going.
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White 07 Civic - '07 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.87 mpg (US)
Wai

I put a WAI just before my last tank. I got 47 mpg which is about 3 mpg better than I normally get. Far too early to tell wether or not it's effective. The WAI is really easy to do on the gen 8. I pulled off the rubber connector from the CAI then pulled out the battery and removed on section of the plastic part of the CAI to give myself enough room. Following that I just snaked some aluminum tube towards the exhaust. Sealed it off with a hose clamp, put the battery back in and called it today. You have to enter in that security code into your stereo after you reconnect the battery, so you might want to make sure you have that before you disconnect it.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ha! I like it :-) thanks for the tip. Do you have any grill blocks done? How's the car run on temp? Glad you gave me the heads up on the radio I'd be lost without it :-/ I checked and it doesn't add any noticeable load to the engine so it stays on all the time.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White 07 Civic - '07 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.87 mpg (US)
The temp has been fine, a few ticks below 1/2. I want to get something together to monitor when my fan comes on. My brother is an electrical engineer. He described how to hook up a LED to go on with the fan. Since I am not familiar with the electrical lingo I forgot what he said. I should have him write it down. So far I just have the upper grill blocked. I'm starting to put together ideas for a lower grill block, but I might wait until fall to go through with it.

Also I just killed my daytime running lights by pulling out fuse #37 out of the interior fuse box. I want to hook it up to a switch so I can turn the daytimes on and off at will.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I would be down for a meet up in the New York area.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Good stuff! I am actually an EE as well, I'll look into the LED and DRL switch and get back to you with a circuit diagram if I can get them working.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another civic - '06 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.81 mpg (US)
I have a question. What kind of adhesive did you use to mount the grille block to the front bumper?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Zip Ties! No adhesive at all, I made one hole in the "fog lamps" the spot where the fog lamps would go if they were there and put an I-Bolt through it with zip ties going through one layer of the coroplast. I then tightened the bolt and it snugged up the covers. I also had two zip ties going through the small holes on the side of the fog lamp cover that is already there to hold that side in.

For the grill block I did the same basic thing with zip ties around the license plate going through the grill and connecting on the back, with the pointy end I have a piece of string going through the hole that is already in the corner of the grill and the string runs to a zip tie under the license plate (it's not as clean as the fog covers but the extra zip tie allowed me to adjust tension).

If I can find the time this week I will do more work and post more pics of what I have done so far I apologize for the stalled progress just been busy traveling for work.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another civic - '06 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.81 mpg (US)
If you want to cover your whole front lower grille you don't have to use any more coroplast. Just flip your license plate like I did. Here's a DIY from 8thcivic.

DIY- Front License Plate Flip W/ Pics - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Vic - '08 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 32.43 mpg (US)

ZED - '11 Honda CR-Z EX
hey guys, i'm new to this hypermiler stuff, any good tips with regards to the civic? im not ready to do anything drastic (cutting, pasting, drilling...) but i'd like to see how close i can get to the 40mpg mark. With simple driving habit changes i went from a 30 avg to a 35 avg, and am looking for that hint that'll get me the next 5

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
2007, aero, honda civic