Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grocery getter - '99 mazda protege DX
Last 3: 38.1 mpg (US)

CRX Otterbox - '91 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 51.07 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to HeadlessNorseman
CRX HF: Stock motor vs vtec-e

Im asking for someone with experience here... what benefits would i achieve with a lean burn D15Z1(vx motor) or D16Y5 (96+ HX) over my stock D15B6 (HF, 8v sohc) ?? The motor itself has a very low powerband and i am averaging 49-50 mpg at stedy highway speeds. Im thinking most of the gain from the VX and HX cars are from the wheels and taller gears, so would there really be a benefit? added power is always nice, as the 70hp HF + tall gears can be pretty dangerous to drive on NJ 2 lane roads, but what about in FE? Any help appreciated! thanks!

homwbrew high MPG bicycle
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...dea-14759.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The cam on the two engines I think is about the same if you don't count the Vtec on the D15Z1(vx motor), so the lean burn is pretty much what you are going to gain, either way you are going to have alot of wiring to hack together to make it work on top of fabricating engine mounts and forcing everything else to fit together, unless you are looking for an engine swap project I would start with the easy stuff like civic vx wheels or Honda Insight wheels, Honda insight aluminum rear brake drums, Low Rolling resistance tires, 0w30 oil in the engine and tranny.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grocery getter - '99 mazda protege DX
Last 3: 38.1 mpg (US)

CRX Otterbox - '91 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 51.07 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to HeadlessNorseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The cam on the two engines I think is about the same if you don't count the Vtec on the D15Z1(vx motor), so the lean burn is pretty much what you are going to gain, either way you are going to have alot of wiring to hack together to make it work on top of fabricating engine mounts and forcing everything else to fit together, unless you are looking for an engine swap project I would start with the easy stuff like civic vx wheels or Honda Insight wheels, Honda insight aluminum rear brake drums, Low Rolling resistance tires, 0w30 oil in the engine and tranny.
I thought the d series engines were quite compatible? i can do the wiring, thats no problem. I definitely am going to start with the small stuff first. I already have a grill/foglight block, half a belly pan and 45 psi in the tires. Not to mention fixing the 100 maintenance problems the previous owner left me with. The car came with 17s on it that seem like they are killing my drag on the highway, and im going to get rid of those just cant seem to get anyone serious about selling their wheels. been looking at vx and hx wheels. next step is stock steelies with covers!

homwbrew high MPG bicycle
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...dea-14759.html

Reply  Post New Thread